The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas gift ideas

It has devolved into The Exchange of the Gift Cards. Any gift ideas? I've been avoiding giving knick knacks (and secretly hoping I don't get any), clothes are tricky, and I think people were underwhelmed by my gifts last year.

For whom?

I loath the annual cash exchange. I loved it when one year the oldest nephew gave us a small knickknack from the dollar tree. I cherish the little candle holder.

Most of the old people in the family have everything they need. and the young folk, well, they do need cash more than anything. Especially when you only see them once or twice a year.

Unless you bake...that year I made home made cookies or gave German chocolates....those were hits. Same with the hand made ornaments, especially my crochet hearts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

A variety of people....parents, kids, in-laws, siblings....I like the food idea, actually, for Most of my people. The kids are the easiest to buy for. Find out from their parents what the toy de jour is and then buy it.

In the back of my head I'm thinking I might do handmade gifts, which I should start now-ish.

I like doing what I call "spoily gift baskets" for people who don't need much, or don't want clutter.
    For example, for my DSO's mom, I am thinking of a nice basket of Burts Bees prodcuts - she really likes their products. Sometimes I will do a basket of Presidents Choice (for Canadians) products - the nice stuff - of biscuits, jams, olives....I call that one a party in a basket. I put it all together myself, and it can range from small and sweet to a honkin' big pannier. Wrap in clear basket wrap and some pretty trailing ribbons, and you have a quite nice gift.
    This works for people whose tastes you know somewhat - easy even to do on a sports theme with an adult beverage, beer nuts, dips, etc.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

What's wrong with a gift card?

Even kids enjoy having their own $$ to spend exactly how they want.

If you know a particular store the giftee likes to shop at, a card from there shows thought IMHO.
    One year I gave a friend $10 cards from Bed,Bath & Beyond, Target & Starbucks because she's always shlepping me into these stores. She was thrilled.

A card along with some homemade goody is my idea of a great gift.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I received this email yesterday from a relative and am sharing it with you to expand the idea pool. Enjoy!

Christmas 2011--The New American Tradition (ETA: Works well in Canada, too!)

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift
    certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas. Spread the Christmas cheer!
    Last edited by Chief2; Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

chief that's great--may I steal it?