The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sheet or cooler for the 17+ hand horse

I have a large warmblood. She measures out to an 81" blanket but I tried a Centaur sheet on her that is an 84" and it looks like she is wearing a mini-skirt. The length is fine the side drop isn't.

I would like a nice under $50 cooler or sheet that will hang off her sides somewhat. Any ideas?

Rambos in size 87 are the only ones that even come close to fitting my massive horse. And even those are smallish after a few washes!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a very large (over 17 hands) and round WB mare. I have bought the Dover brand turnout sheet for her and also a mid-weight turnout blanket for her that I am very happy with. I would prefer a Rambo but for the money you can't beat it and they have held up well, now on season 3 for both. My other two horses also have the turnout sheets (1/3 the price of the Rambo).

I used a square cooler on my big guy until I ended up going custom.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    I have a very large (over 17 hands) and round WB mare. I have bought the Dover brand turnout sheet for her and also a mid-weight turnout blanket for her that I am very happy with. I would prefer a Rambo but for the money you can't beat it and they have held up well, now on season 3 for both. My other two horses also have the turnout sheets (1/3 the price of the Rambo).
    I have less of a problem with no shrinking things, like turnouts. The main problem is anything that has ANY cotton in it. Once you wash it, it ends up 2-3 sizes smaller.
    ~Veronica

I have a 17.1 hh WB and we use a Weatherbeata on him. It fits well and it's long on the sides so covers completely. I think his is an 81"? I would have to double check, but they seem to fit to size. Mine is a turnout sheet, though.

I have a WB look a like TB that stands 17H and find that the Amigo's and the Moxie cooler I bought (Size 81) fit him wonderfully. The Amigos are in the $50 range, but the Moxies are a bit more expensive but are also a wicking cooler.

For blankets...he fits wonderfully in the Amigo turnoutsheet and I have the Weatherbeeta 3-in one system....all 81s and fit him perfect
    Forrest Gump, 14, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 26, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I have an 18.1 hand TB who had that look in Weatherbeata, Masta, and few other brands. I have some Rambo and Amigo (cheaper version of Rambo) blankets/sheets and I love them both. I have an EOUS cooler that fits him well too and wasn't expensive.

I forgot about that. Eous "big" sizes are actually fairly generous.
    ~Veronica

I own a 17.3 Hanoverian, who barely gets into a weatherbeeta (size 87).
    I have tried dozens of coolers and sheets on him and the only ones that fit are the Weatherbeetas.
    You can try Saratoga Horseworks, they have nice coolers available and will make them in a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by morsekg View Post
    I have an 18.1 hand TB who had that look in Weatherbeata, Masta, and few other brands. I have some Rambo and Amigo (cheaper version of Rambo) blankets/sheets and I love them both. I have an EOUS cooler that fits him well too and wasn't expensive.
    Love Equs!

I am a HUGE EOUS fan. I have the cooler for my 17.3 wanna be 18h Irish Sporthorse gelding who is near impossible to fit a blanket to. This cooler fits him perfect- great drop, fits just right, hasn't shrunk and is very soft/warm. Well made!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckOfTheIrish91 View Post
    I am a HUGE EOUS fan. I have the cooler for my 17.3 wanna be 18h Irish Sporthorse gelding who is near impossible to fit a blanket to. This cooler fits him perfect- great drop, fits just right, hasn't shrunk and is very soft/warm. Well made!
    Do you have a link to the one you have? I found this one and wonder if it is it: http://www.smartipony.com/eous-plaid...eece-horse-rug