The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble with hoof picking

I have had my gelding for 3 weeks now and he has this habit of swinging his back feet when I am picking his hooves. He is totally fine with the fronts and actually picks his backs up for me. He does not try to kick but more swings his feet as though he's trying to get out of my grasp and I'm worried that he's going to kick me accidentally. I don't think he is experiencing pain when I do his feet because he doesn't "jump" or act sore. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can break this habit?

Where do you hold the foot/leg when you pick it up? Some of them seem to get annoyed if you hold on by the pastern or fetlock. If you do, maybe try holding the hoof itself, see if it helps.

I have tried holding both and I've also tried holding his hoof closer to the ground... it seems that it doesn't really matter the position of my hands or the position of his hoof. He is not trained to crosstie yet (he's an OTTB) so I usually clean his feet in his stall while he's snacking on hay. Could it be that he's just distracted?

My horse likes to stretch his R hind before he lets me hoof pick it. Now that I understand what he wants, it is not a problem. I lift the foot while standing to the side. He stretches it out, then lets me take as long a I want to hoof pick. I think he may have a little stiffness that just needs to be stretched out before he is hoof picked or shod.

Quote Originally Posted by jken710 View Post
    He is not trained to crosstie yet (he's an OTTB) so I usually clean his feet in his stall while he's snacking on hay. Could it be that he's just distracted?
    Is he eating off the ground, so head down? They have a harder time holding the hind feet up and staying balanced when trying to root around on the ground with their nose. I'd try having someone hold him (head up) or tie him up if you can safely do so. OTTB should have at least been tied, right?

I have had my gelding for 3 weeks now
    Old racehorse probably figures you're a noob, so he'll mess with you a bit to see how you'll react.

He may simply expect you to take his hind feet into "shoeing position", with the front of his cannon across your lap, the way the farrier does. Track horses have their legs handled a lot. They're not used to a delicate approach.

Clicker Training ... works like a charm.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Millwater, RMF View Post
    Old racehorse probably figures you're a noob, so he'll mess with you a bit to see how you'll react.

He may simply expect you to take his hind feet into "shoeing position", with the front of his cannon across your lap, the way the farrier does. Track horses have their legs handled a lot. They're not used to a delicate approach.

If he is an ex-racer he's used to having all four picked up from the left. Until you teach him to cross tie, tie him in the stall. Most runners have been tied to the wall at sometime.

Don't pull back or hold too tight. Simply hold the foot until he relaxes and lowers it a bit. Then clean and put down.

I have a mare who is so tight in her hind end that she needs each hind leg swung over to the opposite side. So you don't pick up her foot and pull it out to the side and back. Left hind swings back and crosses behind her tail and ends up on the left side. Right hind swings back behind her tail and ends up on the right side. If you try to pull the legs out to the side at all, she will swing them forward under her body and try to take them away. It's just the conformation of her pelvis.

I trim another Arab now who is exactly the same way, and used to trim an Oldenburg mare who also had to have the hind legs crossed over behind her tail to the opposite side. I was told by a farrier I was training with that this is actually fairly common.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can break this habit?
    Same as any other habit--clarity of your signals, time, patience, repetition, and judicious punishment if the behavior is naughty or obnoxious. (as opposed to the horse just trying to stretch a bit or not being used to the way you hold the leg)
    Click here before you buy.

Thank you everyone for all of your help... I will definately try tying him while doing his feet because he usually is eating his hay off the ground while I do his feet. He is getting better as time goes on and I do his feet daily (as it is getting VERY muddy around here, lately)... I will also try stretching his legs too
    Thanks again everyone!

Horses can be funny with the hind legs. My girl is very cooperative in that she picks up each foot in anticipation of hoof picking as I approach the foot. But she will sometimes pull her hind leg forward and then be a bit reluctant to relax and stretch out behind her enough for me to pick it. I just wait her out. She isn't mean spirited- I think it's just how she is.

My leased TB mare is uncomfortable unless I put her hind feet on my thigh, farrier style, when I am picking them out. She tends to lean on you when you are picking out... something I need to work on.

My boy's hooves are smaller and lighter and he snaps them up almost to his elbows for me to pick out. One good thing about smaller feet...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    If he is an ex-racer he's used to having all four picked up from the left. Until you teach him to cross tie, tie him in the stall. Most runners have been tied to the wall at sometime.
    ^
    THIS!
    An ex-track groom taught me this & it is really a very efficient way to pick hooves.
    No walking around the horse - all 4 get done from the one side.
    And yup, OTTB have been taught to stand tied.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The OP only describes the action as a 'swing'.
    Having a tough time visualizing this.
    Could it be string halt?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    The OP only describes the action as a 'swing'.
    Having a tough time visualizing this.
    Could it be string halt?
    {shrugs} or a stifle or hock problem.
    Not uncommon for young OTTB to have OCD issues.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Or, he's just giving you a hard time? Is this your first horse?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

This is my first horse but I've been around a ton and never really experienced this problem... I can't really think of any better way to describe it other than a swinging motion. He's not kicking out but he tries to pull away a little and then swings his foot back out... not aggressively... it's like he's trying to shake me off.

Swings forward to back?
    Inside to out?
    Back toward front?

Is he literally shaking? Or just lifting his left away from his body outward and trembling when the leg reaches its' highest point?

Do you have a very experienced horseman to watch him? or perhaps take a vid?

This is my first horse but I've been around a ton and never really experienced this problem... I can't really think of any better way to describe it other than a swinging motion. He's not kicking out but he tries to pull away a little and then swings his foot back out... not aggressively... it's like he's trying to shake me off.
    If this is what I think it is, my gelding did it too when I first got him at not quite three years of age but soon learned to do it correctly. I think hoof picking was a bit of a game for him for the first little while and he was testing me a bit. Now, he's the most enthusiastic hoof offerer you could imagine, snapping them up almost to his elbows and offering them before I am ready to do them.