The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do Craigslist Horse Ads Annoy You?

This ad really irritates me on many levels. I want to print it out, get a red pen and make corrections, scan it, and send it back to this person. I know, my posts are not perfect, but I make a bigger effort when I'm selling a horse. And the bit about him (or her) not wanting the horse because he can't show him since he's not registered is annoying because he later says that you can registered the horse for $30 but he doesn't have the time. But you have the time to put the horse up for sale and show him to potential buyers? Sheesh. Sad thing is, in the pictures this horse is pretty cute.

beautifull multi trained paint horse gelding 11yo 16.2hh tall, reg - $1000 (springfield)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey yall i have a really nice 11 year old paint horse. he is 16.2hh tall, he is black and white, with a bald face. he has been trained for multiple dissiplins, he was trained for dressage and started on phressage,he has also been trained for hunt seat, 3ft jumps, and western plesure, but hold your breath, thats not all... he also!!!! works cattle!!!, for ranch riding and on farm....this horse is awsome, he has Been used for shows including saddle club, 4-h an schooling shows and more, he has placed every year in his show circuts, currently he is at northern hope riding academy i springfield tennessee, he has Been used as a lesson horse, for begginer to advanced riders from ages 2 to 60...he has what your looking for in a horse, beauty, higth, great confrimation, no!!!health problems at all, easy keeper, hes been usedfor kids and adults, he will never!!! not place at a show!!!!... i mean it, the only reason i havent took him to big dhows is 2 reasons, 1 i ride on a nationalleavel, and 2 hes not registured !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he can BE, he can easiley be registured as a pinto for $30, look it up... lol, i just havent ha time to do so... if anything just come an look at him, ride him, i promis its at leaste worth the visit... please call 615-389-6099 for any questions...o and i hae wayy more pictures i can send, these are just a small portion... i have him at shows, in lessons everthig...i would like to add, that trades are welcome, but im kinda specific, im looking for a reg aqha,apha,arha, horse a red one, or paint, love love love red an white paints, the horse mist know his leads, as well as a jog, walk trot, and collected lope, im ok with a horse needing toond up, just dont need alot of work.... the horse must have a low low head carriage, i coompeet in western plesure, neck raining is a plus.... thanks

Neck raining, huh? I prefer my horses to not spew water from their neck, but to each their own.

(If this horse does in fact do everything in that post, he sounds like he could be quite a catch for the price.)

Maybe a good resell project?

CL ads- most are just depressing to read, especially around here when you get the mixed language.

Wow - reads like an infomercial!

But wait there's more! Not only can he work cows, jump fences, neck rain and take care of riders from 2 to 60, but he will cook dinner and do the laundry! Also cleans his own stall.

What's nationaleavel btw???
    And nothing bad happened!

I guess the Craigslist horse ad annoys me, but what is almost worse is the random person who thinks going out and buying a horse off Craigslist is a fabulous idea for them, when this is their first horse buying experience.

It's like people think horses are born trained. They don't understand the years of training it takes for a horse to be trained enough for Joe Schmo to go ride. I know people who don't like horses because they got bucked off the random horse their dad bought for $500 off somebody who just happened to have one for sale. Really? Horses are not evil because they just don't know. Just like I don't call you a moron because you just don't know.

My vent for the day.

This is just insane. If I was interested in a hunter I could compete with on a "nationaleavel" I would not be going to craigslist to find him/her. If just if I did want this guy I would not be able to keep a straight face when going to see him and talking to the person responsible for this ad.

What a joke
    Weekends are for horse shows
    and Fridays are for lessons

Are we sure this isnt a joke?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

What I want to know is what is this enigma called "phressage?" Sounds fancy!

I was curious about that too. Never heard of phressage. Can't even fathom what it might be....

"I show on a nationalleavel"

Yeah, I bet you do... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These adds annoy me to no end! This is why I don't even look on CL anymore, I started ripping my hair out...
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
    ----> Pre

Ok- here's what I read...

i have a really nice 11 year old paint horse. he is 16.2hh tall - way too tall for me to get on, and lordy that's a long fall!,
    he is black and white, with a bald face. he has been trained for multiple dissiplins, he was trained for dressage - he prances and jumps sideways a lot
    and started on phressage - I took him to a Natural Horsemanship clinic
    ,he has also been trained for hunt seat, - he runs really fast
    3ft jumps, - right out of his pasture
    and western plesure, - I do this on a nationalleavel- (need we say more?)
    but hold your breath, thats not all... he also!!!! works cattle!!! - he lives in a pasture with cows (might explain the jump out), for ranch riding and on farm....this horse is awsome, -
    he would be great for trailriding if I could only get back on him after falling off

he has Been used for shows including saddle club, 4-h an schooling shows and more, he has placed every year in his show circuts, - there were only three horses in our backyard show and he got a yellow ribboncurrently he is at northern hope riding academy i springfield tennessee, - because he wont get on the trailer so I cant move himhe has Been used as a lesson horse, for begginer to advanced riders from ages 2 to 60...- I put my neighbors kid and grandmother on him once, the lawsuit should be settled soon
    he has what your looking for in a horse, beauty, higth, great confrimation, - confrimation is when they are swaybacked, under at the knees, and one hind foot turns out causing that unique western pleasure gait - my vet confirmed it
    Rule 1- Keep the horse between you and the ground.

Do Craigslist horse ads in general annoy me? Not really. Do BAD horse ads, no matter what site they come from, annoy me? Yup.

I bought my gelding off of Craigslist. His ad was straightforward and to the point: 16.2h QH/WBx, buckskin, 6 y.o. gelding $800. There was a minimal description following that mentioned, among other things, that he could be good at jumping. I was the first person to contact the seller (who was also a shipper), so for another $1,000, he was mine. Didn't bother with a PPE, and when the horse got here, he was exactly as described. I took a chance and was fortunate that the seller was honest with me, but he also provided me with a full page of references. Some of the names I recognized, so I felt pretty secure that he was a decent guy. This horse has turned out to be my dream horse, and my friend who found his ad continually peruses Craigslist ads for the next diamond in the rough, because you just never know.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Riding is fundamental View Post
    Ok- here's what I read...

i have a really nice 11 year old paint horse. he is 16.2hh tall - way too tall for me to get on, and lordy that's a long fall!,
    he is black and white, with a bald face. he has been trained for multiple dissiplins, he was trained for dressage - he prances and jumps sideways a lot
    and started on phressage - I took him to a Natural Horsemanship clinic
    ,he has also been trained for hunt seat, - he runs really fast
    3ft jumps, - right out of his pasture
    and western plesure, - I do this on a nationalleavel- (need we say more?)
    but hold your breath, thats not all... he also!!!! works cattle!!! - he lives in a pasture with cows (might explain the jump out), for ranch riding and on farm....this horse is awsome, -
    he would be great for trailriding if I could only get back on him after falling off

he has Been used for shows including saddle club, 4-h an schooling shows and more, he has placed every year in his show circuts, - there were only three horses in our backyard show and he got a yellow ribboncurrently he is at northern hope riding academy i springfield tennessee, - because he wont get on the trailer so I cant move himhe has Been used as a lesson horse, for begginer to advanced riders from ages 2 to 60...- I put my neighbors kid and grandmother on him once, the lawsuit should be settled soon
    he has what your looking for in a horse, beauty, higth, great confrimation, - confrimation is when they are swaybacked, under at the knees, and one hind foot turns out causing that unique western pleasure gait - my vet confirmed it
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Yeah, I should say not ALL CL ads are bad. And to be honest, I actually met some really nice people through horsey-type ads on CL (never bought the horses, but stayed friends with the people.)

I think this ad was written by a teenaged boy (but old enough to know better) from the looks of the picture (I didn't post the pics). But PLEASE kids, learn to write!!! And with phressage, I'm thinking that MUST be some type of typo...but can't figure out WHAT he's talking about.

My alltime favorite ad was one from many years ago, posted in the Chronicle classifieds. The person was looking for a horse to use in a Hunt Seat summer camp, and was looking for a horse "Capable of jumping in and out of the arena."

Best ad ever.

Wait — "shows including Saddle Club"? Can the Wonderhorse get me an introduction to the guy who played Max?
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Yeah, I should say not ALL CL ads are bad. And to be honest, I actually met some really nice people through horsey-type ads on CL (never bought the horses, but stayed friends with the people.)

I think this ad was written by a teenaged boy (but old enough to know better) from the looks of the picture (I didn't post the pics). But PLEASE kids, learn to write!!! And with phressage, I'm thinking that MUST be some type of typo...but can't figure out WHAT he's talking about.
    isn't phressage that new natural horsemanship dressage thingy? I know i heard it somewhere before.. can't remember now.

The pet ads on CL annoy the CRAP out of me! Under the Craigslist terms of use it CLEARLY states NO BREEDER ADS but virtually all of the ads are puppy mills and back yard breeders selling their Pit Bull, Yorkie, Poo mixe, Doodle, etc. puppies.

Very few of the ads posted in the pets section are from individuals trying to re-home the family pet.

GRRRR!
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

As a teacher, this cuts into my soul on so many levels.

The spelling and grammar mistakes make me cringe....ugh!! My brother has horrible spelling/grammar, so I told him on Facebook to use a thesaurus to help. His friend honestly asked me why I was "talking about about dinosaurs". Seriously?

But back to CL...I am with everyone here, the ads drive me bonkers. unfortunately, I am addicted.