The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Mandatory Service

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think people should be made to serve in the military if eligible under normal circumstances.

37 28.68%
  • Yes, I think people should be made to serve in a civil, non-military capacity.

35 27.13%
  • No, I don't think anyone should have to serve their country in a military or non-military capacity.

65 50.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I did, but I truly believe from the horrific sights I saw that women should not not be on the front lines or in hot combat zones
    Why...you don't think women are strong enough mentally to take it? Really?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I used to believe in mandatory mil service. I have changed my thinking. Draftees would harm the services more than help. Their focus would have to be teaching young folks what their parents didn't. In a general war like WW2, those that didn't learn got killed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Women who can handle front line battle are few and far between. I can say that and I'm a woman. Our psyche is just different. I don't advocate for or against women on the front line, I do say give those with the capacity to handle it an option to actually do it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

What is that Tea Party member willing to do HIMSELF?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes. I'm a Conservative and in agreement with a lot of Tea Party positions and I'm not beating any drums at all.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

Watched a documentary last night, about the Genreals directing traffic in Iraq and Afghanistan....most of them came through the ranks during draft days, and they said no way no how going back to the draft.....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I won't comment on the ISIS bit. Dealing with folks who sign up voluntarily, but still don't really want to be here and do their part, is extremely time consuming and frustrating. "You spend 90% of your time on 10% of your people" is a common phrase used in reference to personnel issues. Lack of effort, discipline problems, lack of hygiene, drug use, etc...we see that a lot in people who VOLUNTARILY sign up for 4 or more years. These dirtbags take a lot of time and attention away from the people who are doing a good job, and it's a fight sometimes to make enough time to recognize and support those members. IF a draft were to be instated, I could only hope that the number of people who show up and do their job outnumber the folks that come in bitter and unproductive. Otherwise I can't see a draft as a positive thing for the military.

Something else to consider RE: the "front line" argument...in today's warfare, there really is no "front line." Some locations are more likely to see action than others (ie. FOBs vs main bases), but just because you're sitting pretty at Bagram doesn't mean you can't get forward deployed or messed up in a routine convoy. Lines are blurred. Women have been in "combat" (firefights, convoy attacks, etc) for years because of this lack of a front line scenario, though the powers that be may not actually call it combat. As a female I support other females who want to perform in combat roles, but I feel they need to meet the same standards as the men in order to do so.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAway View Post
    I won't comment on the ISIS bit. Dealing with folks who sign up voluntarily, but still don't really want to be here and do their part, is extremely time consuming and frustrating. "You spend 90% of your time on 10% of your people" is a common phrase used in reference to personnel issues. Lack of effort, discipline problems, lack of hygiene, drug use, etc...we see that a lot in people who VOLUNTARILY sign up for 4 or more years. These dirtbags take a lot of time and attention away from the people who are doing a good job, and it's a fight sometimes to make enough time to recognize and support those members. IF a draft were to be instated, I could only hope that the number of people who show up and do their job outnumber the folks that come in bitter and unproductive. Otherwise I can't see a draft as a positive thing for the military.

Something else to consider RE: the "front line" argument...in today's warfare, there really is no "front line." Some locations are more likely to see action than others (ie. FOBs vs main bases), but just because you're sitting pretty at Bagram doesn't mean you can't get forward deployed or messed up in a routine convoy. Lines are blurred. Women have been in "combat" (firefights, convoy attacks, etc) for years because of this lack of a front line scenario, though the powers that be may not actually call it combat. As a female I support other females who want to perform in combat roles, but I feel they need to meet the same standards as the men in order to do so.
    I went back and read what I wrote originally in 2011, so I will pose this question to you and anyone else that wants to answer - what about a mandatory enlistment for 2 years in the national guard (nondeployable) for everyone. If you want to be deployable (guard or reserves), you must pass a test/have certain marks in school. If you want to go regular military you must pass a more strict test. That may help to keep the morale regulated.

As a side note - women are not only in convoys, but they are door to door in villages with the men, searching for insurgents. The US found that the women in Iraq and Afghanistan were more willing to talk to women, due to religious and cultural constraints.

Anyway, yes, I still think serving for 2 years is a good idea and may straighten out some of the kids that would otherwise be lost. It offers discipline, chance at learning a useful skill and help fill in the holes in maturity that a less than perfect childhood left.

No, make them work a retail/serving job instead. Teach some of these entitled asses what it's really like and maybe then they'll have some respect for those people they think they can treat like dirt.

4 members found this post helpful.

No. Have everyone serve two years in Civilian Conservation Corps instead. Done correctly, it would give young people a couple of more years to decide in what direction they want their lives to go. It would teach useable skills to those who may not feel that college is the right course for them, and it would go a long way towards repairing our aging infrastructure, reclaiming natural areas, etc.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    No, make them work a retail/serving job instead. Teach some of these entitled asses what it's really like and maybe then they'll have some respect for those people they think they can treat like dirt.
    And not the just out of HS crowd.....
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Yes. I'm a Conservative and in agreement with a lot of Tea Party positions and I'm not beating any drums at all.

G.
    Ditto.

On the larger subject of compulsory military service, I say no. I don't think filling the ranks of the military with unwilling enlistees would have anything but a negative effect on readiness and operations.

5 members found this post helpful.

G.
    Me too, haven't seen or heard a peep about this?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

NO DOUBT.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

G.

Same here. I haven't heard a word about mandatory draft at any of our TP meetings.
    "I'm a loner, and a loner's got to be alone." Geiko

HA! Sometimes, when I argue with my friend about what is best for the general population, a lot of my frustration comes from the fact that she's never had the menial retail job that she HAD to work to survive. It gives her this whole rosy glass perspective on what is 'right for everyone'.

As far as Civilian Conservation Corps - I was thinking Americorp would be a good alternative, but I have a friend that works in Americorp and discipline is severely lacking. The kids, a lot of them 'at risk' of one sort or another, need the added discipline of military life. So, maybe a hybrid of customer service/Americorp/military?

Something where they learn discipline, learn a trade, help fix the US, maybe have to deal with some sort of 'customer' at some point? EVERYONE would have to do it, though - no "I'm rich and going to college instead of this" type thing could happen.

In Germany they had a choice: either military service or community service. Many of my friends basically volunteered for a year and I think that's wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I went back and read what I wrote originally in 2011, so I will pose this question to you and anyone else that wants to answer - what about a mandatory enlistment for 2 years in the national guard (nondeployable) for everyone. If you want to be deployable (guard or reserves), you must pass a test/have certain marks in school. If you want to go regular military you must pass a more strict test. That may help to keep the morale regulated.

As a side note - women are not only in convoys, but they are door to door in villages with the men, searching for insurgents. The US found that the women in Iraq and Afghanistan were more willing to talk to women, due to religious and cultural constraints.

Anyway, yes, I still think serving for 2 years is a good idea and may straighten out some of the kids that would otherwise be lost. It offers discipline, chance at learning a useful skill and help fill in the holes in maturity that a less than perfect childhood left.
    I agree that a LOT of young adults could use the discipline one finds in the military, and all the other wonderful things that one can obtain from service. I know a few screw ups in high school that got straightened out in the military. In an ideal world I'd support the idea (or a community service/military option); I would just hope that enough people would approach it as an opportunity and work hard, rather than some sort of unwanted obligation. The latter types can be such a time sucking cancer that I cannot imagine having more in the force, especially with the ongoing draw downs (which is a whole other issue when talking hypothetical draft situations) and so many experienced NCOs/Officers leaving.

Yes, women are all over the AOR in many different positions, point being (to those who are not aware), there is no "This is the front line, and this is the safe area where women are" anymore.

You guys do realize we are downsizing the military right now. I have several friends and co-workers who would love to remain in the military until retirement and are being kicked out because the military no longer needs them. They aren't screw-ups and they are hard workers, there is just no need for their skillset or they are overmanned in that skillset. The LAST thing the military needs right now is a bunch of people who don't want to be there.

Oh, and the military I work in does not tolerate people who can't tow the line. Those screw-ups who need discipline? In the Air Force they get one or two chances and then they are "invited to return to civilian life" The military doesn't have the time or the money to deal with problem children. Please teach them life skills someplace else. We really only want people who can do the job and put forth the effort. People's lives are on the line here, and not just in combat. People can and are killed in training exercises when someone screws up. No, thank you.

As for women in the front lines? I had an IDF land close enough to me to leave my ears ringing. I was walking back from the chowhall. It's all the front line these days.