The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paleo diet?

Does anyone eat like a caveman?

I'm reading up on this, and it makes a lot of sense to help control insulin levels.

If you've done it, how hard is it? What was sugar/processed food withdrawal like?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I do a slightly modified version of Paleo. I just can't kick the dairy, unfortunately! And I will drink wine and eat dark chocolate on occassion LOL. I also can't always get ahold of free range, grain free meats so...gotta do what you can.

It actually is not hard at all. Once you start and get over the first 30 days (because you WILL spend those first few weeks craving bread like no one's business) you will feel great. Also, there is such a wealth of paleo resources out there, you will not get bored with your diet.

Like my favorite thing right now? Cauliflower fried rice (look it up). So easy and delish. There are rarely meals where I actually miss carbs, because most recipes are easily substituable (like instead of pasta, use spaghetti squash)

Now, I'm not a monk about by diet and when I have taken a cheat day and eaten grains and whatnot, its pretty dramatic how much it affects me (lethargic, don't perform as well at the gym, just feel really bloated and gross overall) now. So I try not to cheat often!

My husband and I started the Paleo Diet in March of this year and we're still going strong. He lost over 40 lbs and I lost over 20. I'm back at the weight I was in my early 20's. I'm 48 and have known that I have Celiac Disease since 2006.

I did a gradual change over but my husband went cold turkey. Just like KateKat said...once you get used to no grains, you really don't want them much and when you do indulge, you often will feel ill...especially wheat. I can occasionally have gluten free stuff and not feel like crap, or corn or rice based products, but they are a very rare treat and only if I hold to small quantities will they not bother me. I also do dark chocolate, some honey, and have added back in limited potatoes. I'm most dairy free but some butter and very occasional small amounts of cheese when we eat out. I believe I am lactose intolerant also so best to avoid it.

A great thing to make "baked goods" with is almond flour. OMG...delicious and there is an Almond flour cookbook on Amazon with many low glycemic meals in there using almond flour. It substitutes very well for wheat/grains and is way way more nutritious.

Another great resource I found recently is a cookbook called "Paleo Comfort Foods." I just made a pot roast from a recipe in this book and it is yummy! Grass fed beef of course! ;-)

Anyway, if you ever run into an issue after this OT day, send me a pm and I'll help if I can. The benefits to my health and my husband's health has been immeasurable. I tell everyone about this lifestyle and managed to get some friends to try it. This woman tried conventional diets her whole life and could never lose more than a lb or two and could not keep it off. Last I heard she was up to 20+ lbs off and her husband has lost well over 40 lbs too. She's lost inches around also.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys -

Honestly, I won't have a problem with grains/bread. I don't eat a lot of bread. I'll buy a loaf and will end up throwing half of it away because it gets stale or moldy.

Never been a huge fan of pasta - will go months without eating it or rice.

My personal bugaboos are sugar and dairy. I easily go through a gallon of milk every 3 or 4 days, love cheese and yogurt, but the biggest problem for me is sweets - cookies, cake, pastries, etc.

I will never get my insulin levels under control until I can eliminate that stuff from my diet, and this looks like the best way to do it.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I tried it after the last OT day and I made it 4 days before I caved. MUST. HAVE. BREAD! LOL I'll cut myself some slack because I got sick and needed to find something that sounded good to eat. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but I know the carb/sugar withdrawal is going to kick my butt.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Thanks guys -

Honestly, I won't have a problem with grains/bread. I don't eat a lot of bread. I'll buy a loaf and will end up throwing half of it away because it gets stale or moldy.

Never been a huge fan of pasta - will go months without eating it or rice.

My personal bugaboos are sugar and dairy. I easily go through a gallon of milk every 3 or 4 days, love cheese and yogurt, but the biggest problem for me is sweets - cookies, cake, pastries, etc.

I will never get my insulin levels under control until I can eliminate that stuff from my diet, and this looks like the best way to do it.

What does a day in your typical diet look like right now?

Like I said, I haven't gotten off the dairy completely and it hasn't really affected me (it can definitely make some people bloat)

The key for me succeeding at this was not aiming to lose weight, but just to get healthy. I was getting to a point in my life where I just felt gross-walking up one flight of stairs in my house was making me out of breath, I couldn't ride my horse the way I needed to, and I was not fitting into even my fat clothes. So I made the decision to do something about it. In terms of diet, I knew I had to find something sustainable (I have done many fad diets before, only to gain the weight back) and doing a modified version of Paleo is what has worked for me. So if you KNOW you cannot give up dairy, thats fine-don't. Just choose smarter dairy choices (like greek yogurt instead of the sugary crap), drink whole milk if you can stand it (you actually want that fat from the milk, fat is GOOD for you) and just use everything in moderation. You have to find what works for you, in order to be successful. So play around with it a bit and see. If you're really craving that cookie, what has helped me a lot is having apples on hand at all times. Anything sweet triggers that same response in your brain, whether its a cookie or not. And like I said, as you get past the first month (it really takes that amount of time for your body to "reset" itself) you'll find yourself craving things like greens, or almonds or weird healthy things that you never felt yourself craving before!

Oh, and to add, since May I've lost around 20 lbs, but probably also gained about 10 lbs in muscle. I have definitely leaned out a lot, and even though the scale isn't reflecting the numbers I want to see yet, I'm okay with it. I'm leaner at this weight that I was last time I hit about 10 lbs lower.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    I tried it after the last OT day and I made it 4 days before I caved. MUST. HAVE. BREAD! LOL I'll cut myself some slack because I got sick and needed to find something that sounded good to eat. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but I know the carb/sugar withdrawal is going to kick my butt.
    You are probably one of those 30% of people who find wheat truly addictive..yes physically so. Studies show that it does affect your brain via polypeptides that turn into "exporphins" which have a similar effect on the brain as narcotics. Drugs that block heroin's effects, for example, work in lab animals blocking the effect of wheat on the brain.

Read about that and many other surprising effects and problems related to wheat in the new NY Times bestseller book "Wheat Belly" by a cardiologist named William Davis. His book is shaking up a lot of people since it came out in September.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lo...pr_product_top

Wheat also has a higher glycemic index than sugar...yup...and leads toward the building of visceral fat...thus the title of the book.

What is important to realize is that wheat of today is quite different in terms of yield, amount of glutens as well as types of gluten proteins than 50 years ago...so it's not surprising once you know that to understand the epidemic of wheat related issues particularly when our governments tells us to eat six servings a day of it. Yikes...

So what to do? I would consider tapering off your wheat products if you try again rather than going cold turkey. Cut back, eat less...to one or two small servings a day...or if you feel a terribly craving, try to eat just a little wheat with something else to fill you up. Eventually your body will adjust and you'll "need" less. Then try to cut it out completely. Once you are wheat free for a week or two and your body heals (yes it has to heal from the damaging effects), you will find when you do eat it again, you will feel like crap. So break that addiction, and you will no longer want it or even like it much.

That's the key to why Paleo works so well if you can stick with it a week or two. It's self policing and you get addicted to feeling good on the foods that are good for you.

Thanks DDB! I do think I am addicted! I almost felt panic a few times when I got ready to eat and realized my bread/pasta/sugar go-to food was off limits. haha!! So yes quitting cold turkey is probably not a good idea for me.

I'll give it another shot by limiting my intake first and see if I can be more successful this time I don't really like salads and DH doesn't eat beef (??) so it's going to take some practice to figure out what foods to start throwing in the mix to replace some of what I've been eating.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Thanks DDB! I do think I am addicted! I almost felt panic a few times when I got ready to eat and realized my bread/pasta/sugar go-to food was off limits. haha!! So yes quitting cold turkey is probably not a good idea for me.

I'll give it another shot by limiting my intake first and see if I can be more successful this time I don't really like salads and DH doesn't eat beef (??) so it's going to take some practice to figure out what foods to start throwing in the mix to replace some of what I've been eating.
    Google "paleo recipes". Seriously, there is a TON of stuff out there. You do not have to restrict yourself to salad and beef, lol.

If you want a fun place to start, I love the "Nom Nom Paleo" blog. She does some pretty interesting menus.

If you're absolutely dying for cookies/baked goods, there are also recipes out there using coconut or almond flour. I actually prefer coconut flour, mainly because I LOVE coconut. But I have a killer recipe for banana muffins that taste pretty much like the real thing. To be eaten in moderation because it does use agave sweetener, but its a nice treat to have once in awhile.

Also, pretty much anything you eat now can be tweaked to be Paleo friendly. Just keep that in mind. Good luck!

Milk is one of the worst things for your body. You want to know why they push dairy? Look at who sponsors the food pyramid.

Me and hubby quit dairy this year and it's actually really easy. Just like sugar you crave it because you eat it. I started by switching to milk alternatives (my preference is coconut milk) and then switched to only goat's milk cheese (the lactose content is much lower in goat's milk). I am now weaning mysef off goat's milk completely and haven't really missed it.

If I am craving creamy-ness on my foods I will add advocado.

My guess is you didn't add more fat into your diet so you body was having a hell of a time trying to find an easy energy source.

Cut process carbs... add healthy fats... although with Paleo that's a tad trickier since they don't "allow" peanuts and almonds and some other more common nuts.

Key to paleo is making sure you have adequate fat and protein.

you are allowed almonds on the Paleo diet. Anything that is considered a "legume" is what is discouraged, which includes peanuts.

Other nuts that are allowed include pine nuts, cashews, and macadamia nuts. You can find lists of what is acceptable online.

Other forms of acceptable fats? Olives, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut flakes, avocados. I'm sure there are more but that is generally what I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    you are allowed almonds on the Paleo diet. Anything that is considered a "legume" is what is discouraged, which includes peanuts.

Other nuts that are allowed include pine nuts, cashews, and macadamia nuts. You can find lists of what is acceptable online.

Other forms of acceptable fats? Olives, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut flakes, avocados. I'm sure there are more but that is generally what I eat.
    There must be conflicting evidence/rules with paleo because I have read it specifically says almonds are not an ideal choice/promoted because of the omega ratios. However, I cannot find that information... either way I eat them on paleo.

Coconut oil is the jam!

I've heard almond butter isn't ideal. But hadn't heard anything about almonds in their natural form.

Even if they weren't promoted, I am not a die hard paleo person so I would eat them anyway Too easy of a snack and fat source to ignore!

I easily go through a gallon of milk
    try almond milk instead. Or just drink water. Most of the things one eats with milk as the beverage are all "bad" things anyway, like cereal or cookies; or cooking with milk usually involves making unhealthy dishes like mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, or baked desserts.
    I kind of follow the paleo diet- I don't see any need to go overboard. If I want to put a few beans in my chili now and again, or sprinkle some cheese on something, I go right ahead.
    I think the most important part of the diet is reducing your intake of carbohydrates and increasing your intake of vegetables. You get that down, the details don't matter all that much.

okay, so I admit to occasionally making mac n cheese cauliflower. Totally fulfills that mac n'cheese craving since what I want in the first place is mainly the cheese sauce!

I actually really like coconut milk (again with the coconut, what can I say) as a replacement for regular milk. I feel like it has a more similar consistency, since almond milk can be a little watery, depending on the brand. And coconut milk holds up really well to cooking (most curries are coconut milk based). Although I definitely use real milk in my mac n cheese cauliflower

I looooove coconut oil. So awesome.

If you haven't, Mark's Daily Apple is an awesome resource. I ate Paleo for about four months, lost five pounds (wasn't really fat, soooo...). I don't anymore because it was affecting my runs, but I do make a lot of the same healthy choices when shopping, use cauliflower rice instead of rice-rice when I cook, etc.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl