The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best winter gloves?

I can't seem to find a pair of winter gloves that are both comfortable around the barn AND warm? I need gloves that provide warmth but aren't so thick I have to take them off to buckle my horse's bridle or put on his girth. Waterproof is a huge plus but not a requirement. Help please?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I really like my Heritage extreme winter riding gloves - http://www.doversaddlery.com/product..._pn_E_X1-39068

They profess to be waterproof...and are to a point. I wore them downtown to drive a carriage in and they did a decent job keeping my hands dry in light rain. Even when they do finally soak through, they keep your hands reasonably warm while wet.

I'm not sure I'd do a whole lot of farm chores in them - I don't think they'd hold up for that, but they are thin enough you can tack/untack in them (I had to handle money and write and could do both fine in them).

They aren't the warmest gloves in the world, but they get me through Indiana winters. I can't stand riding in anything too think or I can't feel anything. I get cold easily and I've found the best bet is to keep your core warm and your extremities will be okay too.

My winter gloves for farm chores are just whatever I find at Rural King or Tractor Supply. I typically go for leather ones with some kind of Thinsulate lining.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check into those
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I like these.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-3967

I tend to buy a new pair each winter for riding, and demote last year's to work, and demote the two year old pair to mane pulling.

They start out pretty warm but the lining gets thinner over time so if you did a lot of barn work in them they'd not stay warm long term

These!!
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/mounta...x?cm_vc=Search

They have a surprising amount of dexterity and are waterproof unless you stick your hands in a bucket for awhile. My get treated roughly and held up for about 1 1/2 winters. This winter I get to start a new pair.
    Mary

On a budget, I am quite impressed with Kerrits Rideoutside gloves, http://www.ebay.com/itm/KERRITS-RIDE...item5890863fe9

I wore them through our freak snow storm and cold snap recently, they're wind proof, water resistant, very warm for such a thin glove, absolutely stand up to hard barn labor (I spread 3 tons of compost wearing them, nice grippy palms made using a manure fork slightly less laborious, the gloves look brand new) and the only thing I need to take them off for is using my phone, otherwise I can do up tack, etc.

When the weather becomes quite cold, I will be taking some cheap fleece gloves, snipping the finger tips off so I can have a warm fleecy fingerless layer over top. It is amazing how warm your hands stay with that little trick... keeping your finger tips for dexterity.

The kerrits gloves fit a slender hand and long finger well. I am a 'cadet medium' medium length fingers and short wide palm, but the medium sized kerrits fit me well enough, especially for a budget glove.

If I'm a very good girl, I might convince Santa to bring me a pair of these though
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/roeckl...x?cm_vc=Search

I do love gauntlet gloves.
    Ask yourself: "Can I do anything about this?"
    If you can, do it. If you can't... then you can't and leave it at that. Worrying achieves nothing but stress.