The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bipolar/crazy

I think I am going crazy... or im already there. I don't know what steps to take to get better though...

I talked to my friend whose husband is bipolar and she mentioned his symtoms are similar to mine. One minute he is fine the next he isnt. Has horrible spending habbits to fill a hole in his life... Completely unrational sometimes... yeah sounds like me...

I am co-dependant. Can't rationalize anything. Spend money to make me smile...

I thought maybe I was just a typical girl.. until I realized that after my break up.. I hit rock bottom and am not spending money life crazy... as in a few thousand dollars in 2 weeks on nothing of importance (however i did fix my car first). My mom isnt the most stable of people and I am wondering if there is really some sort of chemical imbalance in my head to make me like this.

I dont have a clue where to go or what to do about it or if I am just going through a hard time right now...

I'm not a mental health professional, but from what I've read, there are a lot of diagnoses that overlap in terms of some of their symptoms, and a lot of pretty much ordinary normal behaviors that now and again seem to shade into something that sounds like a DSM diagnosis.

There are also some online checklists that anyone can complete to see if possibly they may have symptoms of this or that.

If I were you, I'd look into some of those online resources and in parallel see if you can find a local therapist with whom to meet just to discuss what you're experiencing with a professional. One way or another I suspect you'll feel less anxious, and my hope is that will happen quickly to put your mind at rest.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Well, no one can tell you from here, but it seems a good idea to get the right help and diagnosis, if there is something there.

Most people ask their family Dr for a referral to the proper mental health professional and you go from that.
    Just like getting an x-ray to see if your wrist you fell on and is now bruised and swollen is broken after all, seeing a mental health professional to see if and what is going on with you, when you have those problems, is a good first step.

One of my best friends is a counselor with her own practice in a group of counselors, each one with their own specialty, hers adult family counseling.
    Your Dr should know who is good in your area.

If you are a student, there are school counselors, if you don't have a Dr, you can call your local state mental health center for names.

Emergency rooms have also mental health evaluation personnel.

So, you've broken up with an SO? Made a major, major life change?

Lots of people go off the deep end for a while, from grief, from jubilation, whatever. There are counseling agencies out there that will let you pay on a sliding scale if you are on a tight budget, it's always a good idea to go talk this out and find out whether you really are losing it (and if you go to the counselor usually that's a sign you aren't) and you can figure out where you are and what you want and need to do now that you are entering a new part of your life.

If you are bipolar then correct medication can keep help keep you on track many times, but you need a diagnosis and you'll need a mental health professional to make it, so get thee to counseling, and good luck!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm sorry you are going through this, I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 15 years ago which answered alot of questions I had growing up.

Please see a doctor, there are many options available for diagnosing and treating mental health issues, options that include meds and therapy.

If you would like to talk more feel free to PM me.

I actually have experience with bipolar disorder. If you would like to PM me, feel free.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Just like getting an x-ray to see if your wrist you fell on and is now bruised and swollen is broken after all, seeing a mental health professional to see if and what is going on with you, when you have those problems, is a good first step.
    IMHO, the FIRST step should be a PHYSICAL checkup, to include particularly a thyroid profile, including a basal body temp chart. Here is an example of some of the research that is being done on the subject:
    http://www.psycheducation.org/thyroid/introduction.htm

When one of our horses has mood swings and behavior issues, the first thing COTHers recommend is to check out his physical well-being...

Quote Originally Posted by selah View Post
    IMHO, the FIRST step should be a PHYSICAL checkup, to include particularly a thyroid profile, including a basal body temp chart. Here is an example of some of the research that is being done on the subject:
    http://www.psycheducation.org/thyroid/introduction.htm

When one of our horses has mood swings and behavior issues, the first thing COTHers recommend is to check out his physical well-being...
    I really endorse the thyroid check. A few years ago I suddenly lost all my energy and within a few weeks could barely stay awake long enough to eat dinner after a long day at work.

Turns out I'd developed Hashimoto's, a hypothyroid condition. All the symptoms rapidly disappeared once I began taking thyroxin, and I'm as normal as I'll ever be since then.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”