The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help feeling better

I was really traumatized this weekend when I went to put sheets on 2 of my horses. It was the first blanketing of the season and I figured I should put a halter on them to make sure they didn't try to act up.

Anyways, my sis-in-law drove up just in time so I asked her to stand outside the fence for safety sake and just hold the leadline. First horse was fine. Second horse had grown since the last blanketing season and I was trying to fit the belly strap when the other horse tried to get at some feed remnants in front of the horse I was working on. My sis-in-law and I both tried to shoo her away and the one she was holding backed up and shook her head too. It didn't seem like a bad spook or anything but it basically degloved her thumb....as in gone from the knuckle up. WHen I saw it I went into shock!! It was soo horrible for everyone and the surgeon was able to pull some skin up to below the nail. Everything else had to be amputated.

I just feel awful about the whole thing and I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful when holding on to a horse that is pulling or to not let relatives help that aren't horse savvy. She was soo kind to help and I feel responsible for putting her in a bad situation!!
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Hope her thumb heals quickly.

Holding a horse thru a fence is never really a safe alternative.

ACK! Did she have the lead wrapped around her hand? That is always the first thing non-horse people do when you hand them a lead rope, and the first thing I tell them NOT to do.

Jingles for your sister-in-law. I hope she recovers quickly.

Oh my gosh, just the mental visual reminds me why I didn't go into nursing school. I hope that she heals up quickly.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Nope...she knows not to do that. It was not wrapped around and the fence never came into play. She never hit the fence. Basically the Dr said the leadrope pulled her thumboff from the back to the front. It peeled it off!!

I feel horrible for her.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

If she was on the same side of the fence as the horses she would have been more able to deal with the situation.
    That is how the fence comes into play.

Something very similar happened to our trainer. He was tying a horse to a tying ring on a post and the horses owner was standing there with him in front of the horse talking. Anyway, the owner went to pet the horse right as the trainer was tying the rope and the horse freaked, went backwards and the trainer's fingers were in just the right spot at just the right second to get singed off in the rope from the knuckle below the nail up.

I know I about ripped my arm out of the socket a month ago and was freaked out for a long time over what almost happened. I was holding the lead rope in the middle with the end dangling and the other end attached to my easy going gelding. Something spooked him and he started running backwards and I kept hold because I didn't want him running off... Next thing I know, the end of the rope has someone started swinging and swug all the way around my arm 3 or 4 times so I was essentially tied to a horse that was running sideways/backwards and probably about to take off with him attached. Adrenaline pumped and I ran like a sprinter in the Olympics to keep up with him and get the rope off my arm at the same time. I barely got it off before he was gone

Freak accidents happen and we do things thousands of times that have such a small risk, but that tiny risk percentage jumps up and bites us in the @$$. I feel so bad for your SIL and I can only imagine how guilty you feel You need to forgive yourself, it could have happened to anyone. Jingles!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Default Give yourself a break

Of course you feel bad. You're human. She was helping you. I would be worried if you didn't feel bad. That said, sometimes s*it happens. She offered to help. I'm sure she knows you feel bad. It was just bad luck. I would expect a lot of good natured teasing after she feels better and a lot of "you owe me" favors all in good fun, but look at the good stories she will have to tell. I mean, in a way, you have done her a favor!

Quote Originally Posted by dpndetfarm View Post
    Of course you feel bad. You're human. She was helping you. I would be worried if you didn't feel bad. That said, sometimes s*it happens. She offered to help. I'm sure she knows you feel bad. It was just bad luck. I would expect a lot of good natured teasing after she feels better and a lot of "you owe me" favors all in good fun, but look at the good stories she will have to tell. I mean, in a way, you have done her a favor!
    Well said, I completely agree. I hope you start to feel better soon OP.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dpndetfarm View Post

You're kidding about the good-natured teasing, right?

OP asked her to help. What the heck kind of favor is dismemberment?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up. Accidents happen, and I am sure she does not blame you.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I had the tip of my thumb forcefully removed by a horse. I never thought of what happened as being degloved, but sure enough, that is exactly what happened. The surgeon had to saw off the bone that was sticking out and I had a skin graft taken from the top of my thigh to cover over the top of my thumb. It all wasn't so bad until I had to change the dressing everyday and peel the gauze off the exposed nerves. I have never known pain like that before or after! The tip was never recovered....

That being said, it sounds like just one of those freak accidents that no one could have foreseen happening, so I wouldn't beat myself up too much about it, though that's easier said than done.

I would definitely be stopping by to see if I could do any two-handed jobs she needs done!