The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bootcamp, TRX, or CrossFit anyone?

I've been doing bootcamp for a few months now and recently added some TRX classes to the mix.

I love it!

I'm considering giving CrossFit a try.

Anyone else addicted to these workouts?

CrossFit, without a doubt. I started it back in May, and it has been the most amazing program.

I would highly recommend it to anyone, but the key is really finding a good affiliate in your area with coaches who take the time to really teach you, and care about your progress.

My brother has been doing CrossFit for over a year now and he goes every day.. I think he started with like twice a week. It's got to be good if my brother gets up every morning to go lol.
    I did try earlier this fall but I about killed myself (and will be totally honest I puked when I got home), my shoulders were in agony for like three days. At that point I decided maybe I should get a little more fit before going that route lol. I've been doing pole classes instead lol. Hubby comes back from deployment at the end of Dec and he's planning to start then so maybe I'll give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    My brother has been doing CrossFit for over a year now and he goes every day.. I think he started with like twice a week. It's got to be good if my brother gets up every morning to go lol.
    I did try earlier this fall but I about killed myself (and will be totally honest I puked when I got home), my shoulders were in agony for like three days. At that point I decided maybe I should get a little more fit before going that route lol. I've been doing pole classes instead lol. Hubby comes back from deployment at the end of Dec and he's planning to start then so maybe I'll give it another go.
    Did the coaches scale the workout for you? Because I started with basically no fitness, with the exception of riding. I felt like I was going to die that first week (especially with any workout that involved running) but it got better pretty quickly. I was actually amazed and how quickly my body was forced to adapt, and how it responded to the workouts.

Honestly, when you start out it should be hard but you also shouldn't be pushing it to the max. One of CrossFit's mottos is "leave your ego at the door" and that rings true, even if you think you're fit. If you have to lift 5lbs or the bar for your first couple workouts, do that. No one wants you to get hurt. Puking is allowed (although preferably not inside the gym) but when you go they should also be warning you about over exerting yourself, especially if you haven't worked out in awhile.

But...I have said before CrossFit isn't for everyone. And there are people who feel like you get pushed to do certain things, which might be true in some of the affiliates. So if you do consider joining again, do your research, and make sure you're in an environment that you feel supported and comfortable in. If they're a good one, they will bend over backwards for you to help you succeed.

I've tried various incarnations of bootcamps over the years, and have been doing Crossfit since March.

My favorite "bootcamp" workout was a sand/water class- it was on the beach and it was a lifeguard type workout. It was really hard, but a lot of fun- lots of paddling, in's & out's, dolphining, and various relays and games. Half the workout in the water, half on the sand. That was discontinued, sadly.

I do love Crossfit the most after the beach bootcamp though. I lucked out and chose a great affiliate, and have really enjoyed the trainers and set-up. My Crossfit offers a fantastic introductory program called On-Ramp, which is two weeks of classes easing you into the workouts. They teach you all the different lifts and other exercises, all scaled to your ability. You then get two weeks free afterward to try all the regular classes. I also like the fact that my Crossfit offers Pilates, swimming class, running class and "Fundamental" classes, which are much less focused on the Olympic lifting. It makes is easy to change things up if you get burned out on the regular workouts.

You will be extremely sore, no matter how much you scale, but keep working through it. My riding went through an awful spell for a few months after I started Crossfit, but now suddenly I'm riding better than I have in ages. I was so lopsided and off-kilter for years that once I evened myself out with Crossfit I had to figure out how to get used to riding evenly again.