The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lush bar shampoos

I used them a while ago and I'm thinking of buying one again because I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling in the next few months. Plus, I have a gift card for Lush that's about to expire.

I have long, thick, straight hair that tangles easily. I'm not sure which one to pick.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Interesting... how long does one "bar" usually last?

It's been a couple of years since I last used them, but IIRC, one bar lasted me between 3-4 months (washing my hair 2-3 times a week.

I really like them, but they seem difficult to take with you traveling, because they get all slimy and wet!

This sounds really interesting. How well do they clean your hair? I have super long hair and would love to find a better option since I go through so much shampoo. If they gave a moisturizing one that may help keep your hair more tangle-free.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I really like them, but they seem difficult to take with you traveling, because they get all slimy and wet!
    True that... they have tins for them though I think.

Wow, I just took a look at the website, and they've really added a few to their line. I only use the shampoo bars for my hair, and I love them!

My go-to bars are the blue one with seaweed, the white one and this green one. I also really like the cinnamon bar and the brown bar, but they're better for really dirty hair or when you want to strip some residue. I don't like the way the yellow one smells, and I'm not a huge fan of patchoulli.

You will want to pick up a tin if you want to travel with it. I don't find they get slimy--just leave the lid off the tin and let the bar dry in between uses, or before you put it away.

Also useful for traveling (and another way to lighten your quart size ziplock) are their toothy tabs: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/face/toothy-tabs/ They're solid toothpaste tabs. I really like them, too

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow, I just took a look at the website, and they've really added a few to their line. I only use the shampoo bars for my hair, and I love them!

My go-to bars are the blue one with seaweed and the white one. I also really like the cinnamon bar and the brown bar, but they're better for really dirty hair or when you want to strip some residue. I don't like the way the yellow one smells.

You will want to pick up a tin if you want to travel with it. I don't find they get slimy--just leave the lid off the tin and let the bar dry in between uses, or before you put it away.
    I love Seanik and Ultimate Shine! Godiva is great if you don't want to bother with conditioner, since it's a 2-in-1. The scent does take some getting used to (it's the same jasminey scent as their Flying Fox shower gel and Sex Bomb bath bomb). I've always kept mine in the tin 24/7, and leave the lid off. I actually just shampoo my hair with the bar in the tin, too.

I'm almost out of Seanik, but I've got a bunch of Karma Komba bars somehow, so I will try that one out next. Not really a fan of that scent (way too much patchouli for me) but I may as well use 'em!

Their non-solid shampoos are wonderful, too, though pricey. So I try to use them only for special occasions: Curly Wurly when I really really REALLY want my big curls, and Big for when I want to blowdry and straighten. I haven't tried the liquid ones though (like Cynthia), just the pots. Love 'em!

Seanik is by FAR my favorite. I get about 3 months out of mine and I wash my hair every day. I am currently trying out the newest bar (it is purple) but I am not loving it as much as Seanik. I use the conditioner bar as well. Actually, my bathroom is full of LUSH products, I don't really use anything else any more. The stuff is expensive, but in general lasts a long time.

I have jumping juniper and i like it. As long as i keep it out of water stream, it has lasted along time. I think it is better than my other shampoos. But I don't use it every time.

I Love my Flying Fox wash!!!
    Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.
    You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed
    Le Petit Prince

Oh cool, I don't think they had the tins last time I used them... there was a Lush in Dublin when I was studying there, and I spent a small fortune on their stuff within my first week in Ireland. I think I had the Gentle Lentil shampoo and liked it. (:

I have one of the tins and shampoo but haven't used it yet and it's been a few years. I do love their ocean salt facial scrub the best out of all their products.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I love lush! It was my favorite job! Seanik is awesome, same with the white one.... It's been years since I worked there so I've forgotten a lot.
    Not solid, but Big is my favorite shampoo. Love love my big fat curly hair after using it!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

The problem I have with Lush products is I want to smell EVERYTHING.

I love the smell of Godiva but hated how it made my hair feel. I used it as a body wash instead.

The only Lush shampoo I really like (and I like it a lot) is Big. I also like the flying fox wash. I LOVE jasmine.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I agree the godiva didn't work so well for my hair, but typically I need more than a two-in-one product.
    I don't know if they have discontinued it, and truly I would be so so upset if so, but my favorite of all is The Olive Branch body wash. That scent.... Heaven! I'd use their body washes, esp that one, as a shampoo from time to time.

Mmmm love me some Lush.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I'm really really loving that so many of you are Lush users as well

I've never used any of the bar shampoos, but I LOVE me some Lush! I did a semester abroad several years ago and then spent a few weeks travelling--when I was in Heidelburg visiting friends, we were walking fdown the street and I was like, "What is that divine smell?" Yup, Lush. I've been addicted ever since! Thank goodness we got one in Miami a few years ago, so I don't have to order it online anymore.
    Fave products:
    Vanillary perfume
    Dream Cream
    Vanilla Dee Lite Body Lotion
    American Cream Conditioner
    Honey I Washed The Kids soap
    Sultana of Soap

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Mmm I like the look of the bar shampoos...how long to they last? They are quite expensive. I LOVE the lush bath oil things though! I used to have to stop myself going in there when I walked home from uni in Edinburgh.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

After reading this thread and checking out the website, I decided to order "Big" shampoo. Lush doesn't send samples so I ordered a couple travel sizes off Ebay before making an expensive commitment.

I have fine, thin hair and I LOVED this shampoo. I got shiny hair with tons of body with an added bonus of "brightened" highlights. The shampoo did take a little getting used because that it has course sea salt as one of ingredients (along with lime - so I figure anything with the makings of a margarita has to good. Right?). You don't need to use a lot and just make sure you rinse throughly.