The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking Must Have Showing Tack + Apparel

I will be showing jumpers and equitation pretty soon, so its time for shopping! Tell me the about your favorite show clothes and tack!

P.S. Any breeches that come in a 22 and 24 that you love? My saddle is black so I need some breeches where the color of the saddle won't stain the breeches.

Also needs suggestions for black bridle makers.
    Last edited by MorganLuvr848; Oct. 31, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Is price a factor? For bridles I love Hadfields, Edgewood, and Antares especially.

If you are showing in the eq you don't really have a choice in the color of breeches, it is tan or tan. The puke green color is also acceptable although not nearly as popular as it was a few years ago. And your jacket should be navy or black with a white shirt. I hate the sameness of it but that's what is appropriate.

Pikeur breeches are very popular at the moment, but they are very expensive, TS is always popular as well. Some manufacturers will fit you better than others though, I would go with what fits you best rather than what is popular.

Okay thank you!

Are you showing in USEF rated shows? If so, the black saddle will stick out, most likely you will be the only one. There is no rule against it though, although the rules state something about "unconventional" tack.

Yes I will be showing in USEF. There aren't any rules against it and my black horse looks awful in brown tack so Im sticking with my black saddle.

I just went to a show this weekend and this is what I had:
    -mattes hunter pad
    -equifit luxe boots
    -wellfleet bridle from smartpak which actually looks amazing for the price
    -rj classics jacket
    -essex show shirt
    -ariat pro circuit breeches (which I love!!!)

all of those things are great quality and look nice even with a lot of use

If tack is dark enough it looks good even on black horses, but if it fits you and your horse well there is no reason you can't show in a black saddle. I agree light tan or orange leather looks awful on a black horse.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    If tack is dark enough it looks good even on black horses, but if it fits you and your horse well there is no reason you can't show in a black saddle. I agree light tan or orange leather looks awful on a black horse.
    The shade of black my horse is just doesn't look right with the brown county jump saddles thats why I went with the black. Of course my horse only had to fit in one of the most expensive saddles on the market!!!! Do you think I should go with tan breeches to not make the saddle look so dark?

I remember not liking the leather colors of the County saddle, they are probably too reddish for your black horse. My CWD is very dark havanna and would look gorgeous on any black horse and matches my Hadfields bridle beautifully.

If you are showing in the eq you should wear tan breeches regardless of what color your saddle is. And those colors are still more appropriate for showing in any division, even jumpers, although some people are wearing colored breeches.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganLuvr848 View Post
    The shade of black my horse is just doesn't look right with the brown county jump saddles thats why I went with the black. Of course my horse only had to fit in one of the most expensive saddles on the market!!!! Do you think I should go with tan breeches to not make the saddle look so dark?
    As opposed to what? You should definitely wear tan/beige breeches.

I'm not sure what discipline you're coming from, but the black saddle and your screen name make me feel like I should mention no bling on your bridle, either. No brass and no buckles. No flash.

Dark navy hunt coat. Three buttons, double vented, dark -- not metallic -- buttons.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

You are asking about trends, if I understood the OP correctly. BAC is right that black tack, while not "illegal," per se, is generally not "done" in the hunters (or eq, for that matter.) If the rest of your turnout is conservative and correct, though, probably the only people who will notice are the other exhibitors, and they don't get to vote on your placings.

For the record, I also have a black horse; he looks fine in his normal (dark) brown tack. Hunters are usually shown in dark brown tack that has mellowed to a beautiful mahogany color through use and good care, and that looks good on ANY horse.

(for the record I also agree with BAC that Light/orange tack doesn't look good on any horse, IMO, but that is why G*d made neatsfoot oil. )

Are you perhaps coming from another discipline where black is the more usual choice?

Meanwhile, you want to use a plain white fitted pad under your saddle, a properly fitted bridle (D-ring snaffles are the most common in the hunters while pelhams are frequently used for the eq) along with conservative colored polos or leather boots in the eq ring if your horse requires them. Obviously you cannot put anything on their legs in the hunters.

For yourself, as noted you can wear tan or beige breeches, properly polished tall boots, an approved helmet and a well tailored hunt coat. Navy is the most traditional color coat for the equitation and is never wrong for the hunters either. Dark gloves are a must and most riders will also be wearing a pair of spurs and carrying a stick.

Have fun~!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    As opposed to what? You should definitely wear tan/beige breeches.

I'm not sure what discipline you're coming from, but the black saddle and your screen name make me feel like I should mention no bling on your bridle, either. No brass and no buckles. No flash.

Dark navy hunt coat. Three buttons, double vented, dark -- not metallic -- buttons.
    I actually come from the dressage ring thank you very much. I was thinking white breeches for jumpers but tan for equitation. I really like the animo show jackets though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    You are asking about trends, if I understood the OP correctly. BAC is right that black tack, while not "illegal," per se, is generally not "done" in the hunters (or eq, for that matter.) If the rest of your turnout is conservative and correct, though, probably the only people who will notice are the other exhibitors, and they don't get to vote on your placings.

For the record, I also have a black horse; he looks fine in his normal (dark) brown tack. Hunters are usually shown in dark brown tack that has mellowed to a beautiful mahogany color through use and good care, and that looks good on ANY horse.

(for the record I also agree with BAC that Light/orange tack doesn't look good on any horse, IMO, but that is why G*d made neatsfoot oil. )

Are you perhaps coming from another discipline where black is the more usual choice?

Meanwhile, you want to use a plain white fitted pad under your saddle, a properly fitted bridle (D-ring snaffles are the most common in the hunters while pelhams are frequently used for the eq) along with conservative colored polos or leather boots in the eq ring if your horse requires them. Obviously you cannot put anything on their legs in the hunters.

For yourself, as noted you can wear tan or beige breeches, properly polished tall boots, an approved helmet and a well tailored hunt coat. Navy is the most traditional color coat for the equitation and is never wrong for the hunters either. Dark gloves are a must and most riders will also be wearing a pair of spurs and carrying a stick.

Have fun~!
    Thank you for your response. I guess I just like black saddles. I always have wanted one and so I got one when I bought my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I remember not liking the leather colors of the County saddle, they are probably too reddish for your black horse. My CWD is very dark havanna and would look gorgeous on any black horse and matches my Hadfields bridle beautifully.

If you are showing in the eq you should wear tan breeches regardless of what color your saddle is. And those colors are still more appropriate for showing in any division, even jumpers, although some people are wearing colored breeches.
    Its too bad that the CWD didn't fit my horse. I really liked their colors too.

I actually come from the dressage ring thank you very much. I was thinking white breeches for jumpers but tan for equitation. I really like the animo show jackets though.
    Why the hostility? If you come from the dressage ring my advice still stands.

And I didn't realize you were jumping in with both feet. If you're gonna spend the scratch for a $900 show jacket then the Animo is a beautiful coat. They are a little more jumper-oriented.

And white breeches are only for jumper CLASSICS, not just all jumper classes.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Thank you for your response. I guess I just like black saddles. I always have wanted one and so I got one when I bought my horse.
    No problem, you are very welcome.

And you are correct that there is no rule against black tack in H/J land. Oh, I suppose there is the "unconventional tack can be penalized at the judge's discretion," statement in the hunter rules... but that would be a rare judge, IMO. Would a dressage judge throw a rider out for using brown tack in a dressage test? This is basically the same thing in reverse. Not usual, but not "against the law." You may have some trouble finding a hunter appropriate bridle in black to match, though. (And remember for hunters/eq... you want a bridle with hook studs, not buckle ends) and laced reins, not rubber/web/etc.

FWIW, the Animo jackets are probably best reserved for the jumper ring (and Ammy is correct that white breeches are generally reserved for "the big classes" or classics.) But these days, pretty much anything goes in the jumper ring, and you will see people in every color breech imaginable - and mostly in polo shirts rather than ratcatchers and coats.

As a side note... I personally prefer to show in a coat regardless, but that's because I like the way it looks in the photos afterwards, LOL... that's just me.

That said, in the equitation, you definitely don't want to stand out for your attire. Navy coat, white shirt, tan breeches, black field boots and black gloves are the standard uniform. (Yes, before people jump in and have a heart attack, you *can* wear dress boots; it's just not typical. Again... not against the law.)

The idea is to walk into the ring giving the judge the impression that you know what is expected, are perfectly prepared to demonstrate that you can answer the questions being asked by the course... basically that you are the winner. Showing up looking unconventional doesn't mean you cannot ride the course equally well... but it does give the first impression that you may not really "know the game," and puts you in the position of having to work UP to a good score, instead of starting off with a good impression (and possibly working your way down as you have mistakes!)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

White breeches for jumpers are appropriate for classics/ special classes. For regular classes they are a little formal.

Equestrian fashion designer Arianna Anderocci gave her recommendations for the equitation ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/3438/fashion...n-inspiration/

And for the jumper ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/1666/high-pe...ashion-ladies/
    getmyfix.org
    Enabling hunter/jumper addicts everywhere.

I also would like to mention that if you're in the eq at really anything more than a C show, the horse should be braided.

I wouldn't do white breeches in anything but the big jumper classes or classics. I wouldn't wear an Animo or other softshell coat in anything but the jumpers... still a little too untraditional for the hunter or eq rings.

If I were you and just getting into it, I'd wait a while before making big purchases like an Animo, etc, until you decide you REALLY like the discipline and you're staying.

Also, a small turnout list:

-hairnet, all of you hair UNDER your helmet except the "hunter princess" hair over your ears.
    -NO fullseats.
    -spurs are worn lower than they are in the dressage ring, and are considered traditional, so you'll see a lot of people wearing them.
    -if you use a pelham, use two reins, NOT a converter!!

As an aside, what eq divisions are you looking at doing? I might be trying for WIHS this year, or a more local medal, depending on where it looks like my guy will be in his progress.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carley Sparks View Post
    Equestrian fashion designer Arianna Anderocci gave her recommendations for the equitation ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/3438/fashion...n-inspiration/

And for the jumper ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/1666/high-pe...ashion-ladies/
    Thank you for the articles. They are great!