The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Student Positions That Allow Dogs?

Are there any out there? Everyone I have looked at does not allow pets other than a horse. I picked up my girl from the side of the road a year ago and she is pretty much my best friend and resident barn dog. Goes to shows, helps feed and muck, does not bark, super friendly with other people, horses and dogs. She has no bad habits and loves to chill by the arena and watch us school the horses or come on trail rides with us. I'm graduating college in May and am starting to look for a position. I have been on my own from the time I was 18 and have no one that can take her for me. I know that there are no dog rules for a reason, but does anyone know if there is any barns where they make an exception from time to time? I refuse to dump her at the pound and will result to getting a "real" job to be able to keep her. Even though I really want to pursue my horse career I am going to keep my comitment to her (plus I'm pretty sure I can't live without the beast). If anyone knows of anyplace, please PM me!

Perhaps you are going about it wrong. Maybe they would be more likely if she was trained, and did not have to always be with you. I'd think they may have there own dogs that have the run of the place and would expect you to contain yours while working.

I never said that she has to be with me all the time, just that there would be no problem if she were to be out and about. She is happily crate trained and stays home while I am at school/work.

I'd really emphasis that then, when applying, because most of the time, I think, barns are going to either have there own dogs there (the owners) or they would have a strict no dogs policy.

If you're serious about wanting to get a working student position, I'd put more serious thought into who you'd like to train with than whether or not they allow you to bring your dog.

Please don't misread me for being harsh - I've been a dog owner, and I've made decisions about living arrangements, work schedules, and social life based on the fact that I had a responsibility to my dog's well-being.

So I'm not suggesting that you dump the dog at a shelter. He depends on you to take care of him.

But, also see it from the POV of the trainers and BOs. I'm sure a lot of them have seen their share of "college kids" who come in to work, bring a whole zoo of critters from home, and the working students' own pets end up being more of a distraction (at best).

Or, the "great dog" the student insisted they had turns out to be a lapdog of Satan, chasing horses, snapping at clients, tearing up the student's living quarters, and basically being a nuisance.

Not saying there are no positions out there that would allow you to bring a dog, and maybe you could work something out with a trainer who is leery about it.

Good luck!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

If the dog is crate trained, then it might work. But is sounds like you want a free roaming situation and that's going to be hard to find. I will allow any loose dogs on my farm, period. They create problems and it's a liability issue.

And BTW, a "real job" is the smarter way to go versus being a WS. You'll have more money, more free time and can do more with your dog.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Our place allows dogs. Our barn manager and one of our working students have dogs, so do both trainers. Our horses are all dog proof.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    If you're serious about wanting to get a working student position, I'd put more serious thought into who you'd like to train with than whether or not they allow you to bring your dog.

Please don't misread me for being harsh - I've been a dog owner, and I've made decisions about living arrangements, work schedules, and social life based on the fact that I had a responsibility to my dog's well-being.

So I'm not suggesting that you dump the dog at a shelter. He depends on you to take care of him.

But, also see it from the POV of the trainers and BOs. I'm sure a lot of them have seen their share of "college kids" who come in to work, bring a whole zoo of critters from home, and the working students' own pets end up being more of a distraction (at best).

Or, the "great dog" the student insisted they had turns out to be a lapdog of Satan, chasing horses, snapping at clients, tearing up the student's living quarters, and basically being a nuisance.

Not saying there are no positions out there that would allow you to bring a dog, and maybe you could work something out with a trainer who is leery about it.

Good luck!
    This.

Coming from four years of hard living trying to make it work.

I've seen plenty of barns on yardandgroom.com that say pets are OK, but I haven't looked on there recently. The barn I worked for right out of college allowed me to have my dog with me every day. I still have her now, she is 18 years old. I think a well-behaved dog (like yours) would be fine for some people. We have 5 dogs here, but I am OK with a boarder bringing their dog to the farm as long as they get along with our little pack and don't chase the livestock.
    Spring Paddocks, LLC
    Breeding Welsh and Half-Welsh Ponies.
    www.springpaddocksponies.com

I am a working student and have a dog who lives with me. The WS before me also had a dog. My boss is even working on finding a way to better fence the dog run so my dog cant slip out. If you're honest about your do and patient about finding the right position you can make it work out.

Just think about this a bit longer.
    Would you expect any other job to let you bring the dog to work and let it run around in their place?
    Office work, working at a fast food place, factory, warehouses?
    There are a few offices in some companies that do permit employees to bring dogs to the office, but very, very few.

We need to be responsible and separate our personal lives from our work and that means, other than in certain places, keep our pets at home while we are at work.

I have seen time and again where some dog causes trouble.
    If it is the resident barn dogs the barn owner that lives there is not confining, well, it is her place to do as they want, even have dogs around causing trouble.

I am not sure you want, as a barn owner, have other dogs around that may cause trouble, especially not your dogs.

Yes, plenty of barns have loose dogs getting underfoot or running around and getting in the way and spooking horses.
    You will have to look for those barns, but there are less and less of those today, I think.

We had a house we rented to farmers and had a large yard with a fence around it.
    Every one was asked to keep their dogs confined, but they just would not and several of their dogs were killed in the road in front of the house, run over and some of those dogs would run livestock, even if the renters kept insisting they didn't do it or worse, "they were not hurting anything".

If I was looking for a live in position in some farm/stable and had a dog, I would up front explain the dog will stay put when you are working in a crate, pen or yard and exercised when you are off, just as if you lived in the city and worked in an office.

When you tell a prospective employer that you have a dog, without explaining how you will manage the dog, many employers will assume, with good reason from past experiences, that means they will have one more loose dog running around and being a liability.

After several such problem employee's dogs, some employers now just don't want anyone with a dog around, not worth the trouble to keep telling them to confine it.
    That is what you are against.

Bluey, I don't think anyone is expecting that their dog get free run of the place. I think they're mostly looking for exactly what you describe - a place that allows them to keep their dog where they live.

OP, I've encountered a few working student positions that allow pets. I even took my dog with me when I moved to Holland to be a working student. Just be up-front about the fact that you have a dog. Some trainers will say no. Others will be more lenient. It's all about finding the right situation.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Bluey, I don't think anyone is expecting that their dog get free run of the place. I think they're mostly looking for exactly what you describe - a place that allows them to keep their dog where they live.

OP, I've encountered a few working student positions that allow pets. I even took my dog with me when I moved to Holland to be a working student. Just be up-front about the fact that you have a dog. Some trainers will say no. Others will be more lenient. It's all about finding the right situation.
    I know, but in the end, that is what happens so many times, plus the difference in thinking "my dog is well trained and under control" with reality is not always matching.
    That is why some won't hire live in employees with dogs.

The OP will have to look for someone a bit more relaxed about dogs.

I think you're probably better off looking at smaller programs. A large barn with a lot of working students in and out will probably be less inclined to work with you on things like that. No names to suggest, unfortunately.

let me say this, as food for thought.

As you apply, lead with what you bring and offer as a WS. Sell that, sell it sell it sell it. They need to be interested and engaged in how well you fit their barn and their needs. It is ALL about them.

Once they are interested, then, and ONLY then... mention the dog. Mention her only in terms of housing. May I keep my crate trained dog in the apartment? She is __ lbs, house trained, quiet, and accustomed to her crate. She would never be loose on the property. I appreciate your consideration of my request.

What I read above is all about what a great dog she is. That's great. But as a potential employer, I don't really care about your dog. I care about what you bring to the program.

Just a thought.

Katerine is totally right.
    Only bring up the dog after you have seriously considered the job and they are considering you.
    I would think to start, they'd want to ensure the dog was not an issue and keeping the dog crate trained would be where I'd want someone to start.
    Also, ensure that the dog is disease and flea free.

I currently have neighbors who let their dogs roam all over my property, and I now am dealing with fleas, and have never dealt with fleas in 15 years. It costs me $$$ for treatment of my pets on an ongoing basis.

Katerine is so correct on so many points...its about them and having their needs met, not yours.

I totally understand and think like scubed said, there are more accomodating places than others.

A rule I have, when I post a job, and the initial inquiry asks me pay before we have even discussed job duties, I don't go further. So, keep the dog thing out, until further along, and best of luck to you.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I agree, but with the caveat that you shouldn't wait too long to reveal. From the hiring side, I've had potential WS not tell me anything about pet requirements until I'd offered them the job, and it's a mess if we couldn't work with them. Don't open with it, sell yourself first, but reveal the dog requirement before you get too far into negotiations or plans.

yes, exactly- don't wait TOO long...but don't lead with it as a primary concern. They are not looking for a WS' dog: they are looking for a WS.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Our place allows dogs. Our barn manager and one of our working students have dogs, so do both trainers. Our horses are all dog proof.
    Yes, but do they have a working student program? That's what the OP's looking for.

katarine is right - sell your knowledge and experience to the prospective employer to get the job, before you talk about the dog. Working studient positions are pretty thin on the ground in this economy; don't make it harder on yourself by adding yet another caveat. And be prepared for the possibility that a prospective employer, presented with two equally qualified WS candidates, will probably choose the one with less baggage; not you.

Unless you're in a live-in situation, it's not an issue anyway. I'm guessing you're probably going to have more of an issue with finding living accommodations that will accept a largeish dog than a barn that will balk at the pup's occasional visit.

Good luck.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/