The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default how not to hire an employee

I laughed out loud reading this one. I believe I've seen this person(or someone else with the same list of "demands") post a few times. Guess their search isn't turning out too great.

Shame on them for thinking they can control a person's life outside of work (and pay them a pathetic salary of 300 a week)...never met anyone THAT desperate.

http://www.yardandgroom.com/jobs/uni...structor/21334
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

BUT YOU GET TO WORK WITH HORSES!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Better to know in advance what you are getting into I suppose.
    I take it they aren't getting a lot of applicants...
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

i was getting that much in 1994 as a groom. LOL Sorry you couldn't pay me ENOUGH to work for that person. Sounds miserable

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    BUT YOU GET TO WORK WITH HORSES!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A++

Four and a half bucks an hour!

Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Four and a half bucks an hour!

Where do I sign up?
    Obviously you don't get it that horses are a not-having-a-life style.

For shame.

You get the benefit of being able to live on this gorgeous, historic farm that I toiled my whole life to purchase. After that, I will pay for medical insurance if you are worth your salt & bonuses for each time you actually pull off all of the greatness that you have claimed you possess. This job will be based SOLEY on performance. This is not Wal-mart and is definately not a union job. Horses are a lifestyle and not a job, so if you don't get it - don't reply.
    Really?? Where do I sign up?

I think it's a troll ad.

Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by holaamigoalter View Post
    I laughed out loud reading this one. I believe I've seen this person(or someone else with the same list of "demands") post a few times. Guess their search isn't turning out too great.

Shame on them for thinking they can control a person's life outside of work (and pay them a pathetic salary of 300 a week)...never met anyone THAT desperate.

http://www.yardandgroom.com/jobs/uni...structor/21334
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I think it's a troll ad.

Tamara
    I hope so...

Well, it's $300/wk plus room and board for one horse. In my neck of the woods that's probably about $2400/mth. It's not really conducive to long-term employment if you require live-in while simultaneously eliminating the ability to have a relationship, but I've seen far worse propositions.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

There's another farm in VA that's offering $250!!!!111!!! a week plus a one bedroom apartment. That one doesn't call itself a "working student" position and it doesn't offer board.

But! If you want to be a working student, there are multiple offers for people to work for FREE! or a generous $50!!! a week! Must have own health insurance! You can sleep on our pull out sofa! Better yet!!! YOU CAN SLEEP IN IN OUR TACK ROOM!!!!

Oh, and you'll be signing a non-disclosure agreement.

Another wants you to work "part time" for $166 a week, 6 days a week. That's a barn worker, non live in, non-working student.

And another? A young horse handler/groom for $300 a week, housing included but you are expected to pay utilities. Also no riding.

FWIW, none of these are BNRs whatsoever.

And yet I am somehow the one that is destroying people's dreams by suggesting employment outside of this industry.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Its really sad how little Barn Managers are getting paid these days. Ive turned down EVERY BM job Ive been offered in the last 6 years because 1)OMG the payrate is a JOKE and 2) In my book BMs dont muck stalls!

Having managed barns on the West Coast and the South I laugh when I see a "Barn Manager" job in New England, just WOW horrible payrates and no actual MANAGMENT involved. Its all mucking stalls, feeding and turnout! Thats NOT a barn manager, its a groom/stable hand! When I managed barns I ran the books, managed payroll, schedualing, appointments, ordered feed/bedding, worked with trainers/farriers/stablehands/boarders, drug the ring ect ect ect. I NEVER picked up a pitch fork. I also got paid a heck of a lot more than the "barn managers" around here, lols.

People whine, b*^%% and complain about not being able to find a good Barn Manager but sheesh look at what most stables are offering for pay! The really sad part is how many kids with degrees from a "Horsie College" take a horribly low paying BM job that doesnt even cover thier basic cost of living.

Condescending much? Geez, our dude ranch pays better than that! AND WE WORK WIF HORSIES TOO!!!!!!!!111!!!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.eVetPractice.com - talk to me about your veterinarian practice management and farm management needs!

sounds like a very difficult person to work w/ ...
    but honestly, $300/week + board + housing & food, that probably works out to a value of at least $2500-$3000/month, around here anyway. I'd consider trying my best to get along w/ them for as long as I could.
    Maybe it's just because I'm a broke college student, but that doesn't seem too horrendous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    sounds like a very difficult person to work w/ ...
    but honestly, $300/week + board + housing & food, that probably works out to a value of at least $2500-$3000/month, around here anyway.
    I agree that the compensation package adds up to more than just $300/week.

However, from the rest of the ad, it sounds like the money might be the least of the problems in that situation. Yikes.

But did anyone else have a flashback to the great commercial about the dressage horse on the race track?

I kinda get it.

The living arrangements are not conducive to sharing with an SO or child (nor would they be acceptable to me...I would not want to have to share any of my living environment with my employer). But I bet the employer has had a few applicants or employees with free loading SOs who want to live with (off of) their girlfriend. It would be a no go in that situation.

Otherwise, they are making it clear that the job isn't for the faint of heart. Do your job, and you get rewarded. Whine or slack off, not so much. What's wrong with that?

The package isn't bad. It is less than I make, but still a manageable wage, especially for someone who doesn't have a big desire to compete (a lot of my cash gets eaten up in entries). Housing, board and at least some food? It basically covers everything except clothes and car expenses...and those would be low, considering you wouldn't drive to work (well, and horse expenses beyond board). I wouldn't live in that arrangement, but others would.

No boyfriends though.. that's a bit drastic. Only guests whom are related? So my BFF since Kindergarten can't stay, but My 3rd cousin I've met once can?

Do you people seriously not take issue with your employer dictating your personal life and political views?

"NO boyfriend, conservative?"
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Honestly- I think the guy just needs a wife- you only get food if you can cook it.