The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default The What Are You Reading Thread

OT Day and no "what are you reading" thread yet ?

I am about 1/2 way through the new John Grisham book. Like all of his other books, so far, it is a fun easy read.

It won't take me long to finish and I am not sure what I will read next so I want to see what others are reading and enjoying.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

"When Elves Attack" by Tim Dorsey. Short book. Started it last night, will finish it today.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Trying to read "Speaker for the Dead" on my kindle, but while I totally got into "Ender's Game", I'm having a harder time getting into Speaker. Not sure why.

Also working on "Financial Peace Revisited" by Dave Ramsey as part of my Financial Peace University coursework.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. I will be sad when I finish them..

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've been reading a 1939 history of American Labor called simply American Labor.

Return of The Native. There are so many words. It's hard to believe how much less prolix writing has become since 1895.

A compendium of C Wright Mills's articles. Where are our modern thinkers? Our political philosophers? Our educated literates, rather than our educated illiterates?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Just finished Steig Larrson's The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. Trying to decide whether to move on the The Room or not. Have an Iris Johansen waiting too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

ISLGRL that trilogy rocked. LOVED them all.

Just finished reading Invisible by Paul Auster. Not really worth the read, but once i start a book i finish it to the end (except Eat pray love. i stopped at page 75)

Going to start Running with scissors next...

I finally finished trudging my way through Game of Thrones and have moved on to the next book in the series--Clash of Crowns or something--over 900 pages long. An arduous slog. It's not bad, just quite verbose.

I heard an NPR story on a new compendium called The 50 Funniest American Writers that sounded terrific. Planning to buy it for my DH for Christmas.

I finally finished trudging my way through Game of Thrones and have moved on to the next book in the series--Clash of Crowns or something--over 900 pages long. An arduous slog. It's not bad, just quite verbose.

I heard an NPR story on a new compendium called The 50 Funniest American Writers that sounded terrific. Planning to buy it for my DH for Christmas.

I am halfway through the third book in the Game of Thrones series. They are really, really long, but also very good. I still have two more to go and he's supposed to be writing 2 more to finish the series.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Sounds like the Game of Thrones writer took lessons from Robert Jordan, who died before he finished The Wheel of Time series.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm reading a collection of Ian Rankin's short stories, currently on Death is not the End. Interesting title....

Then I've got, Khyaletisha: Umunglu in a township, about a white journalist who lives in a township outside Cape Town for a year. I've already started it but am forcing myself to finish the Ian Rankin first!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Sounds like the Game of Thrones writer took lessons from Robert Jordan, who died before he finished The Wheel of Time series.
    LOL! Same with Patrick O'Brien who wrote the Master and Commander books- he wrote 20 and 1/2. When you get to the 1/2way point in the 21st book it just stops and there are blank pages for the entire rest of the book
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My DD could never get enough of the Game of Thrones series and she went through the Wheel of Time in Grade 9. Loved those books. I cannot read fantasy, just can't.
    I never got into the Larrson's series either!
    I am not reading anything right now. Nothing seems to catch my interest!

I've got three going right now- the 2nd Game of Thrones, Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (the most recent Sookie Stackhouse) and Conspiracy in Death by JD Robb.

LOVE JD Robb (Nora Roberts) and this series.

On the third book of the "A Song of Fire and Ice", A Clash of Swords". By George RR Martin.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I'm reading (and enjoying) the Darkfever series. I am also half-reading Midnight Fugue by Reginald Hill, the first book by him that I've had trouble getting into. He is one of my favorite authors but this one? Eh. I keep hoping the turning point (after which I become riveted) will occur on the next page.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I am re-reading Janet Evanovich's "Smokin' Seventeen" in anticipation of book 18's release later in November - they are a two-parter.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Wesley the Owl, by Stacey O'Brien. Biologist recounts 19 years of life with a barn owl. Well written account of a thinking, feeling animal.

Just finished all 5 books of the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series, personally loved all of them.

I just started the Night Angel Trilogy. Not something I would have looked for on my own, but bought it at the recommnedation of a college student who told me how distirbing it is. he was right, but it's really good
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...YWBV10VCGK8CSH