The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding near Hilton Head, SC

Going to Hilton Head over Thanksgiving.

Any recommendations about places to do horse-related things?

I've already contacted Lawton Stables and may do a dressage lesson there.

Is there any place where you can actually hack out on trails? I'm not looking for a walk-only pokey trail ride on western tack.

Lawton Stables does trail rides still, I think. my friend no longer works there so I don't know about it.

If you bring your own horses, you can go to Hunting Island State Park nearby.

Otherwise, check out Lawton Stables for rentals.

There are a lot of good barns around HHI and Bluffton. Most of them are boarding stables. Former jockey Maples runs one or two of them. Most don't allow rentals (most will do lessons), but Lawton does trail rides.

HHI is the most beuatiful island around. We always drove over there daily, rather than use our old Tybee Island each summer.

Lawton does trail rides and will do private rides but they are pricey (last I knew $100 per person). You're not allow to trot/canter "technically" but if the guide knows you can ride, they'll allow you to.

Other than that there's no real barns that will allow hacks/trail rides to the public, although there are some great lesson barns.

Please PM me with any questions. I lived there for 21 years

ETA- I used to work at Lawton several years ago and still know some employees and the owner there so I can get you some more information if you're interested.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I believe Spring Island has a hack string: http://www.springisland.com/equestrian.html.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I may know of a few options for a more "advanced rider friendly" trail situation. Shoot me an e-mail. I think the key is to get in with a barn via lessons rather than through advertised trail rides. My take on the HHI area is that it caters to the one time out-of-towner types that are only looking for the usual walk nose to tail ride. There is extraordinary countryside in the area and lots of awesome wildlife that is much better viewed by horseback.
    Claire Pelton
    The Pelton Equestrian Experience
    Precision Training and Management of Horse and Rider Teams