The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default dog jackets/blankets?

So I have started running with my dog. We tend to run around 7:15ish am. We are normally out for around an hour.

She has been getting cold though, but its kind of confusing for me, as I am an extremely new dog mommy. (I have had horses for 10 years, and always blanketed them) She is a miniature poodle so she has somewhat dense hair, yet somewhat short. I had just put a little dog fleece (kind of like a cooler) on her and she was still cold (it was around 30 deg F) -- almost shivering. So we went back home -- I don't want my baby to be cold! Then later that afternoon (around 45 deg F) we were doing a halloween parade, and she had her fleece and her little devil costume over and was still a little cold.

I got her a 220 gram fill jacket, but I am a little concerned that she will get hot if we are running. Am I just over reacting?

I know lots of horse people put warm jackets on their dogs that are out on the farm with them all day.

Thanks!!! Bailey also says "thank you!"

p.s.-- our 5K training is going well :-)
    Last edited by EquestrianRunner; Oct. 31, 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added more information

Ah, Poodles are the best, aren't they?
    So *human-like* in intelligence - and,yes, their hair! You probably know this but Poodles do not have fur like most other dogs, so they do not grow a "winter" or heavier coat to help protect them in cold weather. So they often need some help from a warm jacket. If your little one is shivering, she is definitely cold, so dressing her for the weather is important.

I've had Poodles for years and they always wear warm jackets in winter. I've got lightweight ones and heavy ones (just like for my horses . When you're running maybe a midweight coat would be best. She'll let you know if she's too warm (panting) and then probably a lighter weight jacket would kep her comfortable. Just experiment a little, she'll appreciate it!

Happy running to you both

I have Weatherbeeta blanket for my mini. It seems to be sufficient until true winter in December/January. Then I'll put a fleece blanket on him under the Weatherbeeta one.

I also keep his hair about a half inch longer in the winter than I do in the summer. It seems to make a huge difference.

Fleece is not wind proof, so if there is any kind of breeze you destroy the warmth factor. Keep in mind that if you are running at 6 mph on the stillest day you are still creating wind at 6mph.

(This is why I completely do not get fleece quarter sheets. The human should try wearing just a fleece and see how they like it.)

So I would put on the fleece for warmth and then layer with a windproof shell. I have a dog who is a complete ninny about the cold and she has a sweater underlayer and a fleece-lined windproof parka over top. When it gets really cold she will probably get another sweater with a turtleneck.

I realized in the pet store the other day buying dog clothing that I had become one of Those People.

This morning after I posted, we went out for a run.... she had her Weatherbeeta 220 gram fill jacket PLUS a fleece lined rain coat and she was still cold! She was much happier with that combo, but still not her normal self. (I think it was around 27 deg F this morning) We did end up coming home.

Do dogs feet get cold? I know I have seen those little booties but gosh they look so uncomfortable!

When we go running later in the day, she is much happier. She still wears a jacket but she is just happier....maybe she's just not a morning person? I like to run in the morning because I feel fresh and ready to start the day.... I will play around with the time we run.

thanks for all of the replies!!!!

Their feet can get cold My Ridgeback would wear booties when it was below zero at the barn--if she didn't have something on her feet, she would stand on three legs, alternating the foot in the air, because her toes were cold. I'll also use booties for the first few hikes of the season (as long as it's not muddy) or if we're hiking when it's really hot. I use the Muttluck brand.

Do her clothes cover her belly? You might have better luck with something that does, if not. I like Fido Fleece for that, and you could use something wind proof over it. You could also try something like this! No excuses to be cold in that!

Simkie-- oh goodness that body suit looks toasty warm I will look at the booties

Her fleece rain coat does cover her belly. I have been thinking about why she may not like going in the morning and I have come up with a couple reasons:
    1. she likes to sleep in-- if it were up to her she would sleep till noon, wake up and play till 11pm then bed.
    2. it gets warmer as the day goes on
    3. she thinks its fun to make me crazy

thanks!

I have this for my dog:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=969043407

It has fleece on the inside and a water resistant shell. It has gotten soaked in the rain but my dog is still dry, so its fairly waterproof. The outer shell keeps the wind off.

Y'all are making me glad my dog is part chow.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

I have a very sensitive little beagle....anything below about 55 degrees and she is shivering. This has led me to become quite the expert on doggie outerwear! I have had great luck with the following products-

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_coats
    Fabulous company; a little pricey but definitely worth it!! I could be a sales rep for this company; I love them I have the Cloud Chaser and K-9 Overcoat. You could even layer them if you needed to- the cloud chaser is supposed to fit quite snug. Really want to get the new Quinzee for my girl but that might have to wait until Christmas

http://www.dogcoat.com/
    Another great quality product. Lots of colors and styles to choose from. The nylon turnout is lined with a plush fleece for lots of warmth! These might be a bit harder for your poodle to run in compared to the Ruffwear products, but they are very warm.

http://www.weatherbeeta.com/range/dog-blankets.html
    We also have plenty of Weatherbeeta jackets- great value and they fit well. If it's really cold, we will layer a fleece under the waterproof blanket (we have the Landa).

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartb...x?cm_vc=Search
    And finally, we also have one of these from Smartpak. They come in solid colors too. Nice jacket for the price. The Thinsulate makes it feel a little thin IMO. We just layer an extra fleece underneath when the temperatures drop.

As you can see, we have quite the well dressed beagle! She needs her playtime every day (to keep both of us sane) and she goes out in the rain, snow, wind, ice, whatever. With some clothing on, she will actually go and run/play and not stand at the door looking sad.

We tried some booties on her feet (from Ruffwear!) and she just never got comfortable enough with them to be able to run and play. Although it was quite amusing at first!
    Last edited by huntereq1991; Nov. 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added info

My mini aussie (1yo) has a moderate length coat, not real thick. Last fall as a baby she had a few sweaters which she has outgrown. This year I purchased her horse style blanket made by Equine Couture. It is very girly looking-coffee brown across the back, and off white with a pink and brown flower/vine pattern around the bottom. it is medium to heavy weight with filling and a quilted flannel lining. She stayed nice and dry the other day when it was raining hard and I had to go check on my horse.

Muttluks makes a Doggy Jogger which is a fleece suit with legs and it velcros up their spine. I have those for my dogs. Also the Weatherbeeta Kennel coats. They have Weatherbeeta fleeces but those are really lightweight.

My Weimaraner gets really cold with her big naked belly so she wears a big heavy step-in blanket from Aussie Naturals. It covers her entire chest and belly, unlike the traditional horse blanket style coats which leave the bottom half of the dog open.

Default A2

how does the doggy jogger fair in wet snow or damp (not rain) conditions? does it get saturated fast?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Yeah marta, it does actually get wet through really quick, unfortunately. I mainly use those for sleeping at night since we keep our house so cold.

It looks like the Muttluk people make a rain version of their jogger: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Muttluks-D...-Blue/15202686

I might have to give that a try this winter! Too bad big dog clothes are SO expensive :-/

Default simkie

thanks for the link.

i want something that's warm but still low profile so i can put her harness over it. she has a great warm foggy mountain horse style coat but it's a little bulky under the harness.

i know the ruff wear people have a coat that is slimmer but i've seen mixed reviews. anyone here try that one?

I've tried the Ruff Wear and it was SUCH a waste of money. It fell apart in a week and rubbed. I had the Cloud Chaser. It was a huge disappointment.

I keep coming back to this one, and might take the plunge and see how it works for my dog. http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp...fic=105#bottom

It seems like it hits a lot of your requirements, too.

Default this one by k9 top coat reminds me of ruff wear

Default check this out

Looks nice, but I can't find a US distributor that has them in stock. Looks like you can purchase directly from them, but they're out of most sizes and the sizes they DO have in stock are seriously pricy--$170 including shipping for my 75# dog...