The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Xanex before MRI? Can I drive? UPDATE - tested the Xanax

I was recently diagnosed with LCIS in my left breast I am having an MRI this week and surgery next week. I had a shoulder MRI a few years ago and got major anxiety from the sounds of the MRI despite the earplugs and will have to lay still for 1/2 hour. I can't say it was claustorphobia but more the sensation of having to lie still and hearing those awful sounds. (I know they give headphones to kids - I am going to ask for them - hopefully they have music??)

My surgeon prescribed Xanex. Told me to take one an hour before I arrive, and another while I fill out paperwork. She said it will just relax me and put me in a happier place She prescribed 6 so I could "test" them before Friday.

Will I be able to drive myself to/from the MRI? It's 40 mins. away.

Would also LOVE any PM's from other LCIS women - good or bad stories. If you have it you know what it is.
    Last edited by tpup; Nov. 2, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Not knowing how Xanax may affect you, why not just be safe and have someone drive you there and back?
    Then you won't have to wonder and someone along may ease the anxiety anyway.

I was fine the first MRI I had, almost went to sleep.
    Then was surprised to get so anxious with the second one.
    Later, needing one again, I was dreading it, but all went fine, no anxiety at all.
    To be caught in there with all that pounding is definitely not very nice, but far from torture.

So, you may not be as nervous this time, if you are not already very nervous from everything else going on.

Even if you are fine with the Xanax you should think what would happen if you had a minor accident or get stopped at a traffic checkpoint. It could be considered driving under the influence, and if anything happens then you might be found at fault because you took the Xanax. Just have someone drive you, and if you feel awkward about asking someone, then find someone you can exchange the favor with. For my recent Colonoscopy my boss picked me up, and I'm returning the favor this week. I doubt the MRI facility would let you drive anyway, because of the legal liability involved for them.
    Last edited by JanM; Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

When my son had his MRI (age 17) they had headphones and let him pick the satellite radio channel to listen to.

I agree with the others to test it out before hand to know how it will effect you. I can take Xanax and drive (low dosage) but I know some people that it will completely knock out.

Good luck on your MRI and jingling for good news.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

See if you can find an open MRI. The sound isn't so bad when it's not bouncing around in a narrow tunnel. Make sure it's really open sided, not just a wide bore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Definitely get a ride.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

They do give you headphones with music, just tell them to crank it up loud. They are noisy, but I seriously feel asleep at my last one, about a 40 minute scan of my leg.

Can you believe....NO HEADPHONES OR MUSIC? I guess just earplugs...Not even for kids?? I just called. UGH.

The Xanex is 0.5 mg pills. I have 6 so I'll try one or two this week (before bed perhaps!!)

And they confirmed I'll be in there for 55 minutes, not 30. I don't mind being in the tube. It's the noise.

Meanies.

Arrive really early.
    Take one and read a book.
    Take another while filling out paperwork.
    Be prepared to hang out afterwards until you feel back to normal.

There's got to be more than one MRI facility around. I've had multiple MRI's in two different states (thanks, back surgeries!) and every single facility (even going back to 2000) gave me headphones & asked what kind of music I liked.

If your doctor's office has already gotten pre-authorization for one specific facility, you can always call the insurance company (or go thru your doctor's office) and change the facility.

Just because you CAN drive doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Is there a Borders or some Cafe nearby you can go to?

Just arrive there an hour early, take your Xanax, and then walk over.

Worst case scenario arrive an hour early to your Doctor's appointment and bring a good book to the waiting room.

I am having it done at this MRI facility because they have 2 dedicated radiologists who ONLY read breast MRI's....all day, every day. It's an accredited breast care center, and believe me - I need it. I should be fine with the 2 Xanex.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    I am having it done at this MRI facility because they have 2 dedicated radiologists who ONLY read breast MRI's....all day, every day. It's an accredited breast care center, and believe me - I need it. I should be fine with the 2 Xanex.
    Ah, didn't realize this. Absolutely go for the radiologists with the MOST experience! Best of luck to you and fingers crossed for a clean MRI.

I was given two 2mg Xanax to take before a LEEP this past spring. I've never been one who was susceptible to sedatives before, but I went from totally fine to loopy and only bits and pieces of memory about the time the 2nd pill kicked in. When it hit, I was a goner. If I wouldn't have had a ride, hell, I wouldn't have made it out the door. Picture boneless, stupid drunk (minus the puking).

So my two cents, have someone drive you. Plus, you *NEED* the moral support even if you don't take advantage of it that very day.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

As a pharmacist my advice is get a ride. Better safe than sorry and all that. Plus it should have a label on it that says "do not operate heavy machinery while using this medication".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Since you are going to take Xanax I doubt the MRI center will release you to go home. If my boss hadn't been able to pick me up from the Colonoscopy, then I would have had to sit in the waiting room for hours until they let a taxi take me home. They don't want you to be alone, and they are legally liable for your safety if you leave without proper supervision and a ride.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I admit I have Xanaxed and driven!
    But I also had taken it before and knew how it affected me. And I only had a 10 mile drive.

For me, .5 mg is like human Ace - takes the edge off but doesnt make me loopy. More than that and I am sleepy.

I am a bit claustraphobic and my last MRI was with .5 Xanax. However, in you circumstance with unkown reactions to the medication and the stress of your diagnosis, I would take enough to make me mellow and get a ride!

Well I took one 0.5 mg last night around 6:15 pm. I would say the effect "peaked" at 8:15 pm. It definitely made me relaxed and more tired than anything...not sure about the "happy place" feelings but it did take the "edge" off and relaxed me big time. I think 2 would be too much but perhaps another half a half hour before I go in should seal the deal, LOL. Glad I tested it and know the ideal timing. I do see how it would absolutely impair driving so glad my friend is taking me. Unfortunately I will arrive home just after the school bus and 2 wirey kids on a Fri. after school....I think I'll rent a movie and be prepared so we can all relax on the couch!! Thanks for the replies everyone. So hoping this MRI is clear! UGH!