The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone else potty training?

sigh. we've been taking the laid back approach, but its been going on for months with little success.

any tips for speeding it up a little? she's 2 1/2 +, will sit on the potty but rarely goes in.
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

It's been a while since I did any potty training (my youngest is 8), but all three boys were not potty trained until they were three. Boys -- in general -- ARE slower than girls, but perhaps waiting a little while and then going back to it?

I read them books about potty training, I do remember that, and that seemed to help.

Dd is almost two, so i will be watching this thread!

DD is almost 2 1/2 and we started with a casual approach in September. She is good about telling us she has to go at naptime, bedtime and in the car, but only about 30% of the time when shes at home or the barn. We tried rewarding with stickers and mini m and m's but really didn't see much of a difference. We are using pullups and I have heard it's easier to just let them go nekkid or in regular underwear, but so far I'm not motivated enough to clean up pee accidents. When we first started she had a little kids potty and wouldn't use it, we got a ring that fits on the regular toilet seat and she likes it much better, plus no having to dump the tray.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    DD is almost 2 1/2 and we started with a casual approach in September. She is good about telling us she has to go at naptime, bedtime and in the car, but only about 30% of the time when shes at home or the barn. We tried rewarding with stickers and mini m and m's but really didn't see much of a difference. We are using pullups and I have heard it's easier to just let them go nekkid or in regular underwear, but so far I'm not motivated enough to clean up pee accidents. When we first started she had a little kids potty and wouldn't use it, we got a ring that fits on the regular toilet seat and she likes it much better, plus no having to dump the tray.
    Take this with a grain of salt because I have no kids, but my friends swore up and down that the pullups made things harder because their littles didn't feel when they were wet, at least not enough to be uncomfortable.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

There was a mom on Oprah (?) who potty trained her son in a day.
    I forget all the steps but the gist was reading a book about potty training, teaching a stuffed animal how to go potty, throwing a party for the stuffed animal, then teaching the kid to go potty, and then throwing a party for the kid with grandparents/siblings/aunts/uncles. I think you could probably google it.
    Im not sure how well it works in general practice though, no kids here.

I'm getting there!!!!! I only pooped myself once today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    I'm getting there!!!!! I only pooped myself once today!!!
    CONGRATS!!! lmao

Ugh... my 3 year old knows how to use the potty he just chooses not to use it. Then when I'm about ready to give up, he surprises me and uses it. I'm afraid he'll be 35 years old living in my basement, wearing diapers...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Going through it with my son, he'll be 3 next month. Ready to pull my hair out, I'm sick of pullups, they are nothing but a modified diaper. We are planning a "boot camp" potty training weekend: big boy undies, plastic training pants, and the whole weekend devoted to just him and the potty. He'll go when you sit him on it, but he will not tell you he has to go. Ugh! So ready to be done with this phase!!!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

It's been 13 years since I went through this, and we tried everything, books, videos (Once Upon a Potty - OMG!), stickers on calendars, you name it.

I asked her once, and she said she couldn't use the potty until she had hair - it took me a minute to realize what she was referring to, and then I almost wet myself laughing....I told her we could not wait until she was in her teens!

6 months later I asked her again "what is it going to take to get you out of these diapers?" She said "If you get me a puppy" (we already had two dogs). I said "Do you promise?", she said yes. We got the puppy. Next day, no more diapers, and only one accident at night. Go figure.

Now, the good Lord has a sense of humor, because the puppy we bought turned out to have pelvic bladder and was a bed wetter (and slept in our bed as soon as she was big enough to jump up on her own). So I have spent the last 13 years with a dog that has to be on medication and managed to keep her from wetting when she sleeps.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I hope it doesn't take getting another dog to make the switch!

We have been doing the pull-ups, think we will switch over to training pants at least at home and see if it makes more of an impression.

(and here i was the one saying she would be toilet trained by 18mo. all my friends are laughing at me!)
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

My son was just a few weeks past his third birthday when he announced that he didn't need those (diapers) anymore. He didn't and with the exception of one accident that was the end of that.

Shortly before my son was fully trained his pediatrician told me to relax and promised me he wouldn't be heading off to college in diapers. He was right.

Today was a stellar success. I haven't pooped myself all day nor any wee wee. I am so proud of myself I could..... Oh NOOOOOOOO and I was doing so well

My mom who has potty trained 4 kids. several grandkids, a couple of great grands and a bunch of kids when she worked in a day care says you cannot potty train a child in pullups because they are just modified diapers. She says that the thin training pants work best because they do get wet and nasty so the kid is uncomfortable when he pees or poops in them. She also believes in getting them on a schedule kind of like you do when house training a puppy. First thing in the morning, an hour or so after eating, first thing after a nap or after playing. In other words, put them on the pot every hour or so whether they say they need to or not.

John Rosemond is a BNT for kids whose advice I mostly like. He has a very no nonsense, common sense approach to child rearing. He says to put a baby gate up in the bathroom. Put the child in there naked from the waist down and don't let them out until they go. You can get a better explanation and details at his website.

Take her shopping for little girl panties, let her pick the ones she likes. Buy a package she doesn't seem excited about, take her home put her in the ones you pick and tell her she can were the ones she picked out when she goes on the potty for a full day without an accident. Did this with my grandson who was put in training pants and not using the potty workrd great.

My little one is only 14 months but we've been slowly potty learning for a while now. We started sitting her on the potty when she was around 6 months. We never pressured her though. She poops on the potty now about 95% of the time. She'll sign potty and I take her to the potty and she goes. We're still working on going pee on the potty. She goes in the morning and before bed, but during the day it's pretty hit or miss. I'm not pushing it though. We cloth diaper so I like not having to deal with poopy diapers very often.
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    It's been 13 years since I went through this, and we tried everything, books, videos (Once Upon a Potty - OMG!), stickers on calendars, you name it.

I asked her once, and she said she couldn't use the potty until she had hair - it took me a minute to realize what she was referring to, and then I almost wet myself laughing....I told her we could not wait until she was in her teens!

6 months later I asked her again "what is it going to take to get you out of these diapers?" She said "If you get me a puppy" (we already had two dogs). I said "Do you promise?", she said yes. We got the puppy. Next day, no more diapers, and only one accident at night. Go figure.

Now, the good Lord has a sense of humor, because the puppy we bought turned out to have pelvic bladder and was a bed wetter (and slept in our bed as soon as she was big enough to jump up on her own). So I have spent the last 13 years with a dog that has to be on medication and managed to keep her from wetting when she sleeps.
    OMG... I about died laughing reading this... too funny.

Family legend has it that I was trained when my aunt (who was 16 when I was born and the coolest thing EVER) said: You can only go with me if you are wearing big girl pants. Im not taking you with in a diaper. Done.

Now, this was a long time ago and I only have one child who is now 25 so this may or may not work for you.

I showed him how to get his panda bear Ling Ling to use the potty chair and told him he was in charge of bringing Ling Ling to the potty and that he might have to get on and show Ling Ling how to do this but this whole potty training thing with Ling Ling was his responsibility.

Worked like a charm.

Mukluk... wondering how it's going

Hopefully better than my son... on the 9th he finally used the potty 3 times... I thought... MAYBE we're going in the right direction... nope... he hasn't used it since... sigh... he wanted to watch his Thomas movie... I told him if he'd go try to use the potty that he could have it afterwards... he said no & didn't even protest that he couldn't watch the movie.

He's a stubborn little thing...