The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite School Books

I would have to say, that my English teachers in MS and HS were mostly very different from one another. My favorite of all the English teachers was the wife of my school's headmaster, who didn't really take crap and whose selection of books was fascinating (to me). Two out of my four favorite school books are among the ones I had to read for her.
    These are books that I love, and want to re-read still, would happen to be (even though they are not the most sophisticated books I had to read... they are the ones I enjoyed, and wanted to read) :

Fahrenheit 451
    The Lord of the Flies
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    The Giver

I'm curious, what are your favorite books that you had to read in school?

The Illustrated Man
    The Scarlet Letter
    Animal Farm
    Farhenheit 451
    Alas Babylon

I agree with you about Farenheit 451 and The Giver
    Gary Paulson's story about the Iditirod
    Tolkein
    Plato's Symposium (I have read it 5 times at last count)
    Brave New World
    Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo
    I can't think of the English name, but Dammals War es Friedrich was good. Its a little more middle school, but I read it in a college German class.

The only book I remember actively hating was one by Garrison Keilor that I can't remember the title.

If you enjoyed Brave New World and The Giver then I recommend The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood which I read in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

LOVED English class in school!

My favorites:

My Brother Sam is Dead
    Johnny Tremain
    April Morning
    The Fighting Ground
    (can you tell I'm from Pennsylvania...)

A Tale of Two Cities
    A Door in the Wall

HATED
    Animal Farm

and my least favorite ever:

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Mine were F-451, The Giver, TKAM and 1984...

I'm trying a new thing with my sophomore honors class this year--they're reading 30 books of their own choice. It's based on Donalyn Miller's "Book Whisperer," which is about her methods for teaching reading in a Texas middle school classroom. My kids have to read a certain number of books in different genres... since they're a variety of levels (honors doesn't mean much at my school), and I have a mix of regular readers and non-readers, it's been working pretty well because I can direct them toward books I know they'll like, from young adult lit to classics. And then I get to just read and talk about books with them. (:

I am reading Hunger Games aloud to them right now, and I'm going to do the same with TKAM and F-451...

I love the Hunger Games!!! very good series
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

I loved The Giver. I also loved Freak the Mighty, cried a lot though!

Mackandblues, I'll have to look that book up. It sounds interesting and I'm always looking for good book recs.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post

I am reading Hunger Games aloud to them right now, and I'm going to do the same with TKAM and F-451...
    I can't even imagine have The Hunger Games read to me. There's no way anyone could read aloud fast enough for me, and every time the book was closed at the end of a chapter, I probably would have been the one standing and shouting: "Oh no you AREN'T ending it THERE!"

On that same note, there were about 3 years in a row in elementary school where we were read Superfudge. I. Hated. It. Every single time Fudge ALWAYS swallowed Peter's turtle and IT DIED!!!

Just Sayin' :-)

Oh, and I have to add Treasure Island to my favorite school books list!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    I can't even imagine have The Hunger Games read to me. There's no way anyone could read aloud fast enough for me, and every time the book was closed at the end of a chapter, I probably would have been the one standing and shouting: "Oh no you AREN'T ending it THERE!"
    That's the best part! I love leaving them on cliffhangers!

Tomorrow I get to read the chapter where the games actually begin... that should frustrate the heck out of them...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    A Separate Peace
    The Chocolate War
    A Farewell to Arms
    Tess

I loved To Kill A Mockingbird also
    Horseshowmomma

The Great Gatsby, which I didn't actually get assigned to read because I was in the moron class with the other troublemakers and slackers, but which was one of the books you had to read for the AP test my senior year. I had a bad time in high school. After freshman year, I was thrown out of the honors English classes (apparently, being unable to define an adverb stuck in their craw) into the mainstream for sophomore year. I might have had a chance to crawl back out and rejoin my pals in the NHS but I blew it because I hated Mark Twain. God damn that Huck Finn. After that, I was slung into the moron classes and me and my fellow future losers were forced to slog our way through the Canterbury Tales. This is not a nice thing to do to a perfectly good soccer coach/English teacher and a pack of juvenile delinquents, sluts and perverts. I made a late bid to get into the AP English class for senior year, was basically told I didn't deserve it (huh) and was reconciled to the rejection when I discovered they were forced to read Aldous Huxley and Maya Angelou.

I quite seriously aced my AP test. God, teachers are worthless.

The Chrysalids
    Romeo & Juliet
    Julius Caesar
    short stories by Margaret Atwood

I could not STAND having books read aloud in class - I would go to the library and borrow the book, finish it in 2 days, then have to sit through the next couple of weeks of having the story read to me agonizingly slowly! It also backfired on the teachers who would assign reading questions...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I spent my one of my HS english classes ignoring the teacher and reading Jane Eyre that was on her shelf. But a couple years later when I read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, so worth it!
    Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.
    You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed
    Le Petit Prince

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Jane Eyre!!!
    Hamlet
    Much Ado about Nothing
    Romeo & Juliet
    Great Expectations
    The Great Gatsby
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn
    Things Fall Apart

I could not stand the Scarlet Letter. Ugh, that was such a painful book to read. So was Grapes of Wrath, which I was forced to read over the summer before my Junior year, when I was working on an event yard in England. I think I forced myself to finish it on the plane going home like 2 days before school started, haha.

.....I loved English class for the most part, but also wasn't "invited" to take the AP English exam. Stupid teacher .
    Last edited by Event4Life; Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey