The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailering with Toyota Tundra

Does anyone have any experience pulling a 2 horse trailer with a Toyota Tundra? How it pulls, how the truck holds up to occassional trailering?

Thanks!

There was just a thread on this, I think under Around the Farm.

We haul with a Toyota Tundra. We have a two horse trailer, haul two smaller horses. We stay pretty far under the weight limit, and we've hauled up to Michigan (from Texas) and back. We hauled about twice/month during the summer in Michigan, and now probably use the trailer maybe 4-5 times/year. We also haul a little (18 foot) travel trailer with the truck.

Truck has somewhere around 150K miles on it, is a 2002 model. Truck is beat up on the body (most of that thanks to the tornado that threw the first travel trailer into the truck), but the truck is still chugging along.

Check the weight limits, make sure you have an appropriate hitch, check the weight of your loaded trailer, etc. and be smart when hauling. I'm sure there are people more educated about hauling that can add things...

We love our little Tundra. Our next truck will be something bigger as we eventually want to get a bigger horse trailer. If we weren't going for a bigger truck, I would get another Tundra in a heartbeat. I've been impressed with the reliability so far.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    We love our little Tundra. Our next truck will be something bigger...
    The 2012 Tundra is bigger

2002 V8 tow rating ~7000 lbs
    2012 V8 tow rating ~10,000 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mares tails View Post

I was just going to say that. US market Japanese vehicles (cars and trucks) have kept on growing over the years to meet our needs.

Compare a 2012 Honda Accord to a 1992 Accord........

We tow with a Tundra and love it -- but it's a 4WD, V8 with the towing package, rated for 10,000 pounds. The trailer's a Hawk 2H BP with dressing room, so not exactly small. My little horse is only 850-900 pounds but we've towed with her and a 1500 pound WB, all horse gear, show gear etc., and 3 people with no trouble at all.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Default What about a GN

Hi
    I started the other threat.....problem.....the truck is a new 2012 full size 4 door V-8 5.7 with a .......51/2 bed!!!!! My trailer is a 2011 2h GN sl.....emtpy weight is 3200lbs .!!!!!!! Can this truck pull it? the 10,000 tow weight is plenty but its the short bed. Anybody have any experience with pull a GN with a short bed??

I haul a aluminum Featherlite 2 horse straight load with a dressing room with a 2002 Toyota Tundra V8. I watch the weight and make sure my hitch a brake control are adjusted correctly. I have hualed it with two horses all over Southern California with no problem. It is a great truck.

Timely thread. I am looking to get a used tow vehicle, and right now the Tundra is high on my list. No personal experience yet, but a barnmate has one and loves hers.

It looks like they came out with the 5.7L V8 in 2007, which is rated to tow ~10k. There are also two other engines (a 4.0L V6 and 4.6L V8, IIRC). Not sure what they would tow, but IMHO if you are getting it to tow more than one horse you def. need the 5.7L.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Hi
    I started the other threat.....problem.....the truck is a new 2012 full size 4 door V-8 5.7 with a .......51/2 bed!!!!! My trailer is a 2011 2h GN sl.....emtpy weight is 3200lbs .!!!!!!! Can this truck pull it? the 10,000 tow weight is plenty but its the short bed. Anybody have any experience with pull a GN with a short bed??
    Contact The Hitching Post. They could probably answere your question.

http://www.ocalahitch.com/

We have two Tundras. We have an over-sized two horse with a dressing room. We are in Florida so mountains are not in the equation. We started with a 2001 and once we put an equalizer on the hitch it worked great. It had too much "squat" until then, that truck drives like a Lexus, not a pickup. Probably towed over 80,000 miles with it. That truck now has about 170,000 miles on it and total repairs during its lifetime are under $1,500. Our second is a 2011 and there is quite a difference size-wise. It has the harder feel of a regular pickup when you drive it. It is also v-8, trailer package, 4wd like the other. Tows like any other full-sized pickup. We still use the equalizer since it is on the trailer and something I think I would never go without, now that I have used one. I love my Tundras!

Quote Originally Posted by mares tails View Post

With 4x4 and the 5.7L V8, it also looks like it starts at about $43,000!! I could buy a brand new diesel!

I pull a 2 horse GN with my 2011 5.7, V8 Tundra. With two horses you definitely know they are back there, but it handles it fine. Mine does not have 4x4 and came in at well under $30K.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I just "Built My Own" 2500HD Chevy Silverado, Long Bed, Extended Cab 4X4 with Duramax Turbo Diesel and Allison Transmission. I threw in a few convenience items just for kicks.

MSRP = $35,000.00

I'd take the Chevy.

I think you will be in the 30's for a nicely loaded Tundra. Ours in 2011 was in the mid 30's, 4x4, extended cab, bed liner, trailer package, leather, heated seats, xm radio, bluetooth..... oh and with 3 years 0% ! I don't see the diesel advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Hi
    Yes, I don't have a Tundra, but I have an F150 with a 5.5 foot bed and pull a GN. You will probably want one of these:

http://popuphitch.com/sb1coupl.htm

Love mine, and I can't crunch the cab with it (I have a 9 inch and that is plenty). I am well under the weight limit loaded and it hauls great. I have a good brake box. Much more stable than a bumper pull.

I do keep aware of what I am carrying and don't haul a bunch of extra water or hay or lead weights or anything -- it all adds up and you have to be mindful of what your totals are going to actually be, people often underestimate all the crap they take along. I usually just have 1 horse.

Quote Originally Posted by nls View Post
    I don't see the diesel advantage.
    You'd have to haul with the Duramax/Allison transmission combo to see the difference. I've hauled with gasoline engines, and now haul with one of these. I'll never go back to gasoline unless I absolutely have to. There is no comparison.

My Tundra replaced a Dodge 3500 dually and I definitely feel the difference. But since I typically haul short distances and am using the truck as my daily driver (which was not the case with the Dodge), the Tundra is a better fit. They drive great.

Just depends what your needs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    My Tundra replaced a Dodge 3500 dually and I definitely feel the difference. But since I typically haul short distances and am using the truck as my daily driver (which was not the case with the Dodge), the Tundra is a better fit. They drive great.

Just depends what your needs are.
    True that. We haul almost every weekend with a 4 horse goose neck with 4' short wall dressing room that's decked out with a home-made weekender package for 2-3 day camping trips, including mattress and cabinets. We always have 65+ gallons of water with us, 3-4 bales of hay, plus our luggage, food, drinks , tack, camping equipment, 2 horses, etc.

For short trips, with a very small trailer and not alot of excess weight, the Tundra will probably do great. I'm always thinking of what we use OUR truck for, and that taints my responses.

I think about our rig and go, "Tundra? NO WAY!"

Yeah, my Tundra would run hide at the sight of your rig!

My dream rig is a 4 horse head to head and a hauler, but I'd still keep the Tundra for the local trips to lessons or trail ride.