The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin off of martial arts = horses thread

Been meaning to post something about this...curious to see how others respond.

I had worked as a professional in the horse industry and loved it, but decided to return to school for back-up plans and better pay () and my last position prior to returning to school was as barn manager of a very large, hectic show barn.

It dawned on me the other day, as I work part time in a restaurant right now to help pay the bills while in school, that I act in the restaurant as I would at the barn. It was interesting that the kitchen manager noted early on that I "moved" around the other workers easily, very body-aware in a busy kitchen, and that I never lost my cool no matter how crazy the orders got or how packed the restaurant became...

And I thought it must be the two decades spent in the horse world!

Think about it-as horsemen, we are absolutely attuned to our bodies and the space around us, and our horses-this is a safety issue! "There are only two emotions that should exist in the saddle: patience and a sense of humor"-this old golden rule relates well to any work scenario, life in general! I find that when the kitchen gets really crazy, I slow down mentally-just like I do when I'm dealing with a raucous/over-stressed horse-in that I begin breathing deeply, focusing on the task at hand, eliminating distractions, finding that "zen" place to power through whatever is happening.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt that my approach to a LOT of things comes from my horse industry background. I don't yell or lift my voice very often, when in the kitchen I tend to touch people on the side to let them know where I am beside them, and just out and about I tend to react like a horse person.

Anyone else notice this before? What were your lightbulb moments? Any other examples?

More than just the old jokes about "you must be a horse person", I'm being serious here!

Default Awesome spin off!!!

I was the op of the martial arts=horses thread and that is a very interesting topic you started!

I can COMPLETELY relate to your experience, as I have been a horse-person, as well as, a server for years!!! I never made the connection between the two but you are sooo correct!!! I am in the middle of going back to school and I am still in the hospitality/food & bev. industry, too! I also find myself running around a busy restaurant atmosphere doing the EXACT same things you described!!

Horses teach you, not only patience and body language, but a real respect for your surroundings and the energy that is accompanied by that. Not to mention the social atmosphere becomes very sensetive for me. I can always tell when restaurant drama is about to unfold before most of the other servers even know it. It comes in handy when making sure to stay out of any employee issues!

Snicker... You should see my wife melt a path at horse expos
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithnopride View Post
    Horses teach you...the energy that is accompanied by that. Not to mention the social atmosphere becomes very sensetive for me. I can always tell when restaurant drama is about to unfold before most of the other servers even know it. It comes in handy when making sure to stay out of any employee issues!
    Reallllllllly agree with the sensitivity to energy.

I totally agree, I also take this aspect of my life with me behind the wheel when I drive my car. I was a 4-in hand groom/trainer/barn manager in my past life and watching 4 horses in front of you, the birds sitting in the tree above, the dogs barking at the side, having to think several feet in front of the leaders who are 25 feet in front of you, you become aware of ALL of you surroundings.

When I am driving my car/ working as a server (been there too)/ feel the energy of coworkers; I owe that to my years working with horses.