The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Holy Cow!! Carriage Driving in 1985 was Crazy!

The video caption says no horses were hurt in these segments. The humans look like they were a bit sore later.

http://vimeo.com/31256145
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That looks like a collection of wrecks that just happen to be c 1980.

Yikes.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

steel spoke smaller cart wheels sure help these days

when I judged hazards at CDEs we were required to have a lock blade pocket knife to cut the harness off fallen horses... which we had to often...also learned that if you lay on the horse's head when down they stopped thrashing

OH MY! thanks for posting,

I will share with a friend, who tipped the Meadowbrook she was driving while both of us were in it!!

LOL, it all worked out OK, with no injuries to either of us or the mare, but scary for a few minutes nonetheless. We both had helmets and riding gear, a few bruises to show for the excitement.

Just like riding, once we got the cart back upright, she hitched up the mare again, and we drove some more, just to put the nerves at rest.
    Inese

Wow, funny and scary at the same time.

I have to say that the worst wrecks I have seen with horses were driving.
    Some people say when they get too old to ride, they will take up driving.
    I wonder if they really know what driving is all about?
    Even at it best it is rougher to sit there than ride any day and the wrecks can be spectacular.
    You don't defy gravity driving any better than riding.

Spotted ponies at 2:00 and horses in the water at 2:45
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

if you lay on the horse's head when down they stopped thrashing
    Always good to know.

That video was hilarious. Whew.

There were some really nice horses in there, along with a few that might have wanted a different career.

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    Spotted ponies at 2:00 and horses in the water at 2:45
    Yes, those grays in deep water could have drowned tangled in the traces, scary to watch.

Yeah, I was worried about the greys also ... it was good to see someone running into the water to help them.

Am I bad to have LOL'd?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    The video caption says no horses were hurt in these segments. http://vimeo.com/31256145
    So silly to make that claim - as if they know the outcome of each one of these wrecks?

It reminds me of the disclaimer one sees on the credits at the end of a movie these days" "No animals were harmed in the making of this film, monitored by such and such animal welfare group"

Having worked on films that used animals and carried this disclaimer, I can tell you it is pure donkey dust.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    So silly to make that claim - as if they know the outcome of each one of these wrecks?

It reminds me of the disclaimer one sees on the credits at the end of a movie these days" "No animals were harmed in the making of this film, monitored by such and such animal welfare group"

Having worked on films that used animals and carried this disclaimer, I can tell you it is pure donkey dust.
    Having been in a few driving wrecks myself or watching it and spent time stitching the horse back together after one, the vet working on one leg, myself on the other, I know some of those wrecks may have had horses needing attention.

Tim Maloy, the man who put together the video, knows the outcomes of the segments he uses. He has been around driving for a long time.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I got the chance to ride as a navigator once in a CDE at Prelim level (single horse with Meadowbrook cart) and it was a riot. I was laughing like a fool half the time as we were up on one wheel or taking out posts. The driver said that most people were scared of that sort of thing and I told her compared to galloping down to a 3'6" solid oxer on XC, this was way less scary!

Some of those wrecks were pretty ugly though I have to say. I do hope no one was hurt.

Well,this discipline seems to be equally hard on passengers, and drivers as well as the horses.

Maybe some people would see these as "funny" but I just see them as potential fodder for those who oppose carriage driving in general.

I guess, I have no "sense of humor." Sorry. If the anti-carriage driving people can get so bent out of shape seeing horse-drawn carriage traveling sedately down the streets, imagine what kind of state they could work themselves into over a video like this?

Most people familiar with carriage driving would immediately recognize that this is a compilation made from film hot at many different shows, but NOT everyone is familiar with carriage driving or even sensible these days. Just look at the furor in NYC over the carriages there.

I have worked on a couple of films, too. That disclaimer most movies and videos have is pretty much hogwash, just as michaleenflynn said. Example- A local horse leased for one of the Civil War-based miniseries - also shot in the 1980s- had its mouth bloodied by the "training" the film's head wrangler used. In order to make this otherwise gentle horse rear up "on cue" as the story's main male character rode up just in time to see the "love of his life" marry his arch enemy, an assistant wrangler wrangler repeatedly punched the poor horse in its mouth while the boss wrangler pulled back on the reins and leaned back in the saddle.

With just about 30 minutes of such "training," the poor horse's mouth was bloodied by its lips being cut repeatedly when mashed against its teeth by those punches. When they had finished, they just cleaned off the blood and applied a little white makeup. The poor horse was able to perform well enough after the "training" that it took only two takes to get the shot the director wanted.

The horse's owner got back a horse that would rear up suddenly if you pulled him in and leaned back in the saddle. The miniseries carried the standard disclamer that "no animals were injured or killed during filming"- get it? DURING FILMING- they did all the hurting off camera.

BTW, the "hero" was a pretty famous actor and horse "lover" who passed away within the last couple of years. He never opened his mouth once, and he saw what was being done. I had to stop myself from wishing the horse would rear up, flip and squish the jackass on his back.

Sorry this was long, but wanted to illustrate the point being made. I didn't hear about this- I saw it from a distance where I was required to stand as as an extra watching the wedding while they set up the shots.

As soon as I could get someone's attention, I asked to be taken back to town saying I was made sick at what I had seen, and just could not stay. Believe me, they were more than willing to squeeze me onto a van that was carrying some of the actors back to the hotel, whose shots were finished for the day. We had been approached by this company to lease some of our horses. I was so glad we had refused the offer.

After seeing that, we made a rule that we would never lease one of our animals to ANY film company unless one of us was present with the animal at all times and had the right to refuse to allow "abuse." I still demand that clause. Maybe I don't get that many film jobs because of this, but my animals will NOT abused with my consent.

OMG! I wouldn't exactly call that 'funny'. More like tragic,

I really felt sorry for those poor horses and ponies. They looked miserable and terrified.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

I agree that some of those ponies did look very much like they wanted to *get the hell outta Dodge*, but some of those horses looked very solid in their job and they were amazing in how they relied and trusted their human counterparts ... the ones that I loved were the team of bays that went around a tree and their carriage fell over, but their team really worked well to get everything back on track. The bay on the left was beginning to fall over (around 6:51) and a human ran by and propped him back up Those guys really looked together and calm.

The greys in the water scared the crap outta me! The one in the near front had his head underwater for a long time and could not pull it up!

Man, not funny or entertaining...and Tim Maloy does great work with his driving videos....e.g. http://vimeo.com/13359932

I drive and have competed in these sort of trials...I've also had several friends killed while driving. Looking at crash and burn accidents with jumpers isn't "funny"...neither are these driving accidents.

Oh well, these accidents still happen and it's not just the "old days".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

As a horse person, this video compilation really makes me cringe.

I sincerely doubt that there were no injured horses at the end of those wrecks.

And that front right grey in the water has his head under water so long he was bound to have inhaled water. Scary. Notice that the bystanders rushed to the scene to help? Again, scary.

Felt really bad for most of those horses.