The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeders' Crown results from Woodbine

Replays of the races are in the article: http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...set-begin.html

I am only going to babble on about 3 races, hopefully.......

First race I saw tonight was the 2YO Colt and Gelding Pace (thanks to a stupid soccer match). I thought I was watching something special when they hit the 3/4 in 1:21.4, and guessed the effort would be around 1:50 and change, pretty good for babies. When Warkington announced 1:49, I knew it was really something, and then it was announced a World Record for 2 year olds.

Next race of real interest to me was the Open Trot. The chant of San Pail, San Pail started when he hit the track for post parade and was still going when he crossed the wire first. He isn't a big horse by any means, on the low side of average in size, but he has captured the hearts of fans and the chant and cheers showed it. On a side note, the owners handed out cupcakes to the broadcast staff after the race.

The 3YO fillies had my attention as well. Monkey On My Wheel is co-owned by a couple of men originally from Alberta, so I was certainly interested in seeing how she would finish. She set a new stakes record for that division. Congrats, Mac and Travis, well done.

Was a great card of racing. Kudos to The Score for bringing in commentators who know harness racing rather than the usual ragtag staff of Bet Night Live.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default BC races

Great races, really. I'm more of a trotting girl, so I watched those with more interest. general thoughts, though:

2yo Colt Pace--That colt is a monster. I can't stand the connections, but gotta give a tip of the hat to the colt; he's the real deal.

Aged trot--San Pail is a great horse, no doubt. SK_pacer I gotta disagree with you..he's no pony. I saw him at the Meadowlands for the Nat Ray and I think he's on the high side of average, and pretty rangy. He's filling out MORE as the year goes on, which is nice to see. That being said though, the two European horses raced like champs. Trond Smedshammer was right: “They’re bringing their own drivers, which I think is a mistake. They would have a much better chance if they used some local drivers. The horses, they don’t know the style; it’s the drivers that are not familiar with the style.”; http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu.../?a=45408&z=28 )
    They should had conceded the drives to someone over here; I honestly think one or both of them could have beaten San Pail. Rapide Lebel had him collared a few steps past the wire as it was and he spent the entire mile on the outside.

3 yo Colt Trot--Chapter Seven is emerging as a really nice colt. With the new changes to racing/breeding stipulations, I'm really excited to see him race next year. Manofmanymissions, not so much. Beautiful, talented colt but look at those feet (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/...9038e0416e.jpg) and tell me how that colt's going to put it all together.

SK, thought of you when Monkeyonmywheel won. Good for her!

San Pail has stolen my heart. And the owners seem to wonderful people.

Mine too. Nice people too.

Big_Tag - Nope, San Pail isn't a pony by any means but beside some of those other aged trotters he certainly looks like one. Estimate him around 15.2 from the looks of him in the winner's circle. I also liked Chapter Seven, and if I was a betting woman, he was my top pick. As to Manofmanymissions, they did inteview Miller before the race and he did say the colt was prone to breaking but if he (Dave Palone) could keep him flat after the half, he could win. The horse started going rough around the half then just fell apart completely by the 3/4 pole. The horse that disappointed in a big way was Bigtime Ball - he looked sour at the gate, was getting rammy and did absolutely nothing. .

For San Pail's new fans, he is finished for the season but will be back next spring. http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...-memories.html
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Big_Tag - Nope, San Pail isn't a pony by any means but beside some of those other aged trotters he certainly looks like one. Estimate him around 15.2 from the looks of him in the winner's circle. I also liked Chapter Seven, and if I was a betting woman, he was my top pick. As to Manofmanymissions, they did inteview Miller before the race and he did say the colt was prone to breaking but if he (Dave Palone) could keep him flat after the half, he could win. The horse started going rough around the half then just fell apart completely by the 3/4 pole. The horse that disappointed in a big way was Bigtime Ball - he looked sour at the gate, was getting rammy and did absolutely nothing. .

For San Pail's new fans, he is finished for the season but will be back next spring. http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...-memories.html
    Manofmanymissions is a hot mess. He's been that way all year. It's a shame bc he's probably the most rawly talented out of the group, and he's not an idiot; he just has a lot of physical issues. He usually either runs or wins.
    All those colts are eligible to the Matron which is on a 5/8 (Dover). Hard to say how he'll fare there.

I don't know. I'm pretty short, but in the paddock @ Meadowlands I figured San Pail to be about 16h. Arch Madness is a big boy. I don't know anything about the Eurpoean horses bc they weren't there, and my little underdog Hot Shot Blue Chips a pony by comparison. Though you may have noted he trotted the fastest last quarter in that race, as per usual for him Regarding San Pail, it's a little disappointing they won't take him over to Europe next year but I see their point; he's clearly making plenty of $$ over here.