The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arena Groomer?

I need to buy a groomer for our indoor and outdoor rings. Both appear to be sand. (Farm is new to us.) We have a 40 HP tractor to pull it with.

I've done a quick search and see that Pharma is popular. I've only had a grass ring in the past so I'm not too familiar with sand ring maintenance. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

I have a spider harrow that I got from Country Manufacturing and one of those flexible tine harrows. The latter is perfect for spreading the tiny bit of manure that I let accumulate in my dirt paddock (no special footing, just sandy soil) and general smoothing. I often ride in there, too, and a few times a year I go at it with the spider harrow and it digs up the packed footing to a depth of about 2-3", keeping the firm base. Not soft enough (for my preferences) for anything but tiny gymnastics but great for flat work.

I'd love to have one of those arena rascals but for the amount of riding I do in that enclosure it wasn't cost effective, and their salesperson rubbed me the wrong way by being coy and evasive with price quotes. HATE that!
    Click here before you buy.

I just bought a Handozer arena groomer and I love it! I had been looking for a long time and was hoping to get the Arena Rascal. My neighbor let me try out his Arena Rascal and I liked it. I really could not afford it so I kept looking and found the Handozer. I have had it a couple months and it has saved my ring. I have to say, for me, I liked the Handozer better than the Arena Rascal. And it was half the price. I pull this one with my ATV Grizzly. Good luck!

We have this - love it in the corners
    http://www.rotoharrow.com/roto_harrow.htm
    Now in Kentucky

I, too, have the Roto-Harrow. Love it. Just used it on my arena an hour ago. Pic below of results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arena-harrowed.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	34156  
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I talked to a guy this morning about the TR3, the Kiser Edge, and the Arena Rascal.

The arena rascal sounds interesting to me. I'm concerned about the length of the tractor w/bucket and drag attached for the indoor arena. It's only about 70x150 and I don't want to tear up my side walls with the tractor bucket.

I have an arena rascal and love it. TR3 makes a kit to convert to a three point hitch. With this I can back right into corners and I can offset to one side so groomer is a little closer to wall than the tractor.

I have a TR3 and LOVE it. It handles very nicely in my 100x150 covered arena with my 31 hp Kubota tractor.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Another Arena Rascal fan here. With practice you will soon be able to back into the corners to drag out and will learn how to skim along the arena walls without gouging anything. You also learn how to fuss the settings for the depth of the 'dig' based on the arena's condition that day.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

A friend years ago had one of those at that time new rotary ones and just loved it.
    Then he got to use not long ago an Arena Rascal someone else had and decided that was definitively better yet, he is thinking better enough to buy one for himself.

Seems that any one of all those out there will do a good job for most people.

I would try several types if you can before deciding what you like best.
    Looks like you won't go wrong with any, although you can do better with some.

We just use a good old fashioned chain harrow. Works like a charm!

My friend has the Parma-Groomer. Except for corners, we have not had any issues with it. Both of us drag the arena and this thing is easy to use and our footing is sand and GGT. We live in the desert, we constantly water to keep dust down and this thing does a good job.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

We have used the Parma for years now - next one I get for our own place will be an EZ Groomer which uses the same components and general engineering as the Parma, but it's a bit less expensive and is built close to us, in Oregon. We have a GGT and sand outdoor.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Our arena is sand and we have the Parma Groomer as well. I like it a lot.

We have one similar to the RotoHarrow posted above, but not sure of the name brand offhand. Angled tines that spin to level out the footing as you drive. It works wonderfully on our arena!