The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This TB gelding's pedigree for sport--vineyridge?

I have a student who has a *very* nice TB who I have been working with for a few months now, I just looked up his pedigree on Del Mar:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/war+feather3

He is LOVELY, 16.2, leggy, uphill, short-coupled, with a sweet disposition, and a fantastic, naturally balanced canter. He has a hilarious, expressive, in your pocket personality. (He reminds me of a cartoon Disney horse )

I was just wondering, since in my scant experience, his pedigree looked good to me--but I was curious as to what the experts might think. He is currently foxhunting with the owner, and gets a bit anxious (when he is relaxed, he is a phenomenal jumper, but is a bit of a weenie. We are taking our time with building his confidence, I think in time he could be a very nice event horse...)

TIA
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Super superior pedigree for eventing. Not a line in there that isn't good. Danzig is making his mark as a line for 4* horses, Pine Bluff was one of his better sons for sport, but the bottom is absolutely wonderful. Anytime you find Strawberry Road, you've found an excellent source of toughness and stamina. He must have been one of the soundest top quality race horses in modern history. Key Colony is good for generations, top and bottom.

I'd say you have a definite prospect to do higher level eventing--Prelim and up--just based on the pedigree and what you've said about him.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

WOW! Thanks

That's a rave review! Now we just need to build his confidence, gradually and methodically. And find a (stronger, younger) rider for him, if he still has ditch issues in the spring. His owner will only foxhunt him (she's in her 60's), but she is open to having someone else do some eventing with him. Good to know that this is a line of sound, tough horses! Maybe he can dabble in both disciplines, if we are judicious with the work and stay at the lower levels (though I'm betting if he got into the hands of the right person, he could go farther in eventing, from what you say.) *sigh* Many horses never reach their full potential (and don't care), but it's good to know that they have potential in the first place!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Strawberry Road was a fav of mine, too -- loved to watch him warmup before a race -- a breathtaking mover! Should have been a dressage horse! Good luck - love that Pleasant Colony in there too.
    PennyG

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was curious about the pedigree of my first horse. I got him as a long yearling. For some reason his breeder "forgot" to register him and didn't want to pay the late fee after he turned one year. When I got him he was intact. I gelded him several months after I got him because it was in the middle of winter and very cold. He got hurt in 2003 and I ended up selling him as a trail horse/pony club horse in 2004.

But looking back I am thinking his pedigree would have been good for sport???
    He was a good mover and a really good jumper and had a great brain. He ended up making a great gelding nonetheless. But any thoughts on his pedigree:
    Sire: http://www.pedigreequery.com/super+noble
    Dam: http://www.pedigreequery.com/minstrel+act

And a couple of pics of him as a 3 y/o: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/11171...OXD?vhost=pets

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just looked at the Strawberry Road progeny list on PQ and pulled up the sons with the highest earnings to see if his sire line will continue. One rather interesting impression I got is that a good number of his are not particularly long lived. At lot of his sons didn't live much past their mid teens.

I did find one interesting gelding who is by the sire's dam of two that I raised. He had over 96 starts and in stakes quality competition.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire