The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Halloween Costume Question!

Hi All, I am entering a costume class at a horse show on Sunday 10/30. Angel who is Chestnut (close to the color of a giraffe) is going to go as a giraffe. I'm going to paint the markings on with tempera paint. She'll have giraffe horns and I will wrap her tail. I am going to go as "gal on safari" I have my pith helmet, khaki vest, giant old timey binoculars. I'll be riding the "giraffe"

Question is... Should I wear khaki pants and short boots or my riding pants and black boots? Whadda ya'll think?

I am going to carry some branches with leaves that she likes to eat so she can "graze" as we ride around.

I vote for khakis.
    And for pictures being posted afterwards!

I second the khakis although tan breeches would work if you're worried about rubs.

Ditto on the khakis.

And especially the pictures!!

Thanks! I think I will go with khaki pants but also brown suede half chaps and paddock boots. I saw some old safari pictures of folks and some of them had their lower legs in some kind of wrap (I just think it will be more comfortable for me). If anyone has any ideas for interesting things I should have sticking out of my pockets, let me know. I hope Angel will tolerate being "painted" and will not muss herself up until after the class!!!

One of the girls at our barn painted her chestnut/white pony as a giraffe this year and it was adorable. They did Madagascar.

I would also vote for the khaki pants. Don't forget the binoculars, maybe a mosquito netting.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Can't wait to see pics. Hope you had fun today!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! We had a great time. It took over an hour to paint on the markings but she really looked good. Got lots of positive comments and we won our class! The funniest part was having a tree branch which I held above her head and she would eat the leaves- very giraffe-like. Thanks for all the great comments. I think the only way I can post of photo would be to put it on photo bucket. I'll see what I can do.

Hey, I think I saw you! It was a great costume! (Or I saw someone who did the same exact thing, anyway.) That took some artistic skills, the giraffe spots were right on the money (for the woman I saw).