The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB gelding needs a job! - PIC LINKS IN POST #2 ( companion or flatwork) - in SC

Teddy is 19 yrs old but don’t let his age fool you, he still acts 5. He has many years left undersaddle. He is gorgeous, a hack winner and extremely athletic jumper when I had him showing a few years back and in a full on program. He is a horse that will live into his 30's. He is 100% sound, has clean and well put together legs and good feet. No vet records other than shots and regular coggins in the decade we have had him, has NEVER had an unsound day and is very healthy. Teddy is currently ridden 2-3 times a week so he is in decent shape. He is a gentleman, has wonderful ground manners, and really enjoys being doted on, groomed, ears rubbed, treats, bathed etc. He is an absolute sweetie and he aims to please. My work and school schedule are going to increase in the near future and my time at the barn will be very limited. Right now Teddy is in a light program so I would like to place him with someone that could use him before my schedule gets crazy. Teddy is my baby.... his happiness and well being are my priorities and I am looking at two possible situations for him….

Situation#1 - Companion Horse. Teddy gets along with everyone. We have had him turned out with mares, geldings and yearlings and there have been no troubles in the 10+ years we have had him. He makes ugly faces a dinner time but runs straight to his bucket and waits. He is an easy keeper... currently living on pellets, a little bit of beet pulp and a round bale. He is a very good drinker and he seems to pace himself very well with a round bale. If he isn’t ridden his food can be reduced quite a bit. Right now he has front steel shoes b/c his pasture has some rocks. If he is on good footing he can be 100% barefoot. He also loves a stall, but lives outside right now. Teeth, coggins and shots are all up to date.

Situation #2 - Used for flatwork. Teddy is very very sound. There is an ongoing joke in the barn that he is more sound than half the younger horses in the barn that require chiro and massage therapists. Currently I ride him a few days a week and he is best when in regular work. He IS a thoroughbred and his temperament is pretty typical for the breed. He was bred for the hunter ring so he moves and jumps very well ( and has auto changes), but he inherited a "hot" gene instead of being a dead head hunter. This requires him to have an educated rider. I would not recommend him for anything less than an advanced intermediate. He can come out pretty lazy at the trot but his canter is a different gear. He will go slow and steady in his canter but this requires a quiet rider. He is powerful, and has a naturally large stride. He will frame up and he takes to classical dressage basics very well. Someone that has good dressage basics with soft hands would be a great match. He is quite fun. I do not recommend him as a horse used to travel a lot. Ideally he would go to someone that wants to ride at home. Teddy is sound for jumping but in his older age I would rather not have going over fences. He gets hyped up jumping, and I'd rather him stay in a program where staying caallmmm is the norm.

I love this horse to death and he will only go to a loving home. This could either be a free lease situation or a “FREE to good home” situation, where if you ever want to give him back we would welcome him with open arms. He comes with blankets so he would be all set for the colder months ahead. I want him to be loved and given a job, whether its keeping your current horse company or becoming someone’s newest riding companion.

I have some video that I need to find and upload, but for now here are a few photos of Teddy.

SEE PIC LINKS BELOW
    Last edited by TPF Hunter; Oct. 27, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Edited with new Picture links
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Bumping this guy up.

Hoping I can find him a place before my schedule gets hectic!
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe