The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Western saddle question

I'm wanting to get a Wintec or light weight condura saddle to ride my TB, med withered, I'm assuming a QH semibar is what I need but not really sure ,Can anyone explain exactly what that means? semi verses Full?
    http://community.webshots.com/user/windywillow100
    "Ain't no horse ever run faster than I could ride it"" (Wind Whistling through Willow)
    Owner of Josephine "The Lost and Found Kitty"

This website might be helpful

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/howshoulifit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Willow View Post
    I'm wanting to get a Wintec or light weight condura saddle to ride my TB, med withered, I'm assuming a QH semibar is what I need but not really sure ,Can anyone explain exactly what that means? semi verses Full?
    Pictures of your horse's back would help a lot. Saddle fitting is very difficult to get right the first time, so you are wise to research it. How old is your horse? My horse changed as he grew, so I am on my 3rd saddle with him. The article from the Saddleshop provided below is a good start, but I would just start Googling saddle fit and do a lot of reading. Every saddle maker is different, so it is important to understand the sizing that the saddle maker you are interesred in uses. One thing I noted in the saddleshop article is that they made it sound as if semiquarterhorse and quarterhorse bars are the same, and they are not. For instance, as my horse grew and his shoulders got wider, I had to go from a semiquarterhorse (narrow tree angle) to a quarterhorse tree (medium angle). My Arabian, who has very well sprung ribs, takes a full quarterhorse tree (wide angle). An Arab tree may also fit her. However, all of this could change if I change saddle brands! Your best bet is to find a tack shop that will let you take saddles home to fit to your horse or will at least let you trailer your horse to the saddle shop. Good luck!

If your horse is average/ normal in build he/ she would most likely use the semi quarter horse bars. You still would need to try fit to be sure. If your horse has a wide back ( no hint of backbone, almost flat, good for bareback!!) Then a full quarter horse bars or even one for halflingers( sp??) could work. The full quarter horse bars would be wider all along the back, allowing more room to clear the spine for the horse with a wider build..

Quote Originally Posted by ToiRider View Post
    Your best bet is to find a tack shop that will let you take saddles home to fit to your horse or will at least let you trailer your horse to the saddle shop. Good luck!
    THIS!! Advice from someone who bought NINE saddles before they found one that fit their horse.
    I sure would have a lot more money if I'd tried out instead of "buyed" out.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.