The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waterloo Hunt anyone?

Any MI peeps go to Waterloo Hunt? I've never been and I am thinking about going. I've never been on a hunt. Sounds like I could be one of those hilltop riders the first time out.

Any advice? Is proper attire required? http://www.waterloohunt.com/default.htm

Wanted to add that I am reading the FAQ's on hunting. My horse is a 9 yr old ottb that is a bit ring sour. However he loves hacking in the field alone or in a group. I think a season of hunting would do him good. I don't know anyone at the club so I was hoping to find someone that does go there.

I hunt with Metamora, and have met several wonderful Waterloo folks. Regarding attire: formal season has begun, but there may be ratcatcher days, too, which are somewhat less formal. Check with the hunt secretary for info. Hill-toppers is the smart place to start any horse who has not hunted, no matter the skill level of the horse or rider. Do not be in a hurry to move up to the other fields, as your goal is to teach your horse to enjoy hunting. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted! Ask any additional questions, too.

They are a FANTASTIC bunch of folk! Go to their website and under contact info, there is a list who to contact. They will respond very quickly and are super nice and welcoming! Good luck!

Had a GREAT time. Sooo wet, but at least it wasn't too cold. Of course, having amc2 pulling the wet branches behind her so they snapped back at me in all their wet splendour just added to the joy.
    Great having this board because we met up with Mystic and rode with her too - new friend on fabulous thoroughbred mare! Think we brow beat her into at least coming back with hubby.
    Do remember passing wet palamino and pretty spotted apply as we finished up - they looked soggy but happy. As they so clearly live close to the kennels we hope to see them back in the hunt field soon!

So glad you had a good time out!