The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No quarter sheets, right? Shut up and ride?

At the (substantial) risk of soundling like a wimp - and I'm an eventer, so that does NOT sit well - what do people do when taking out a green horse the first time in cold weather? He's a fizzy TB anyway, and has very little coat. He's been out twice before, but it was warm. At home, I'd at least start him out in a quarter sheet, but I'm quite sure that's inappropriate for the hunt field. Is there anything to do, beyond my favorite default "shut up and ride?" At least the adrenalin will keep ME warm!

When it's really cold I'll trailer with a sheet/light blanket. When I get there I fold it over so its on their hindquarters, and keep it on until I mount up - since after mounting I start walking around or warm up a little (away from everyone). This is a matter of a few minutes because I trailer my horses with their tack on.

I don't know if that's the only way, the right way, the wrong way, or if it gives anyone a case of the vapors. I don't even know if it's necessary.

There it is.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

fellow eventer/foxhunter here.

yeh..shut up and ride. LOL.

really, my tb, even when he was green, was fine in the freezing cold. I just made sure he was immediately covered after the hunt. and I would pull the saddle off from under the cooler/sheet. I trailer over with saddle on and covered with his cooler. once I am ready to ride and the bridle is on, the cooler/sheet come off. I just immediately walk/trot for a few minutes to keep him warm and loosen him up..

but my horse never seems to have an issue. sometimes he would tremble at the checks when it has been freezing cold and if he was really sweaty, i'd let him walk a bit. but that has only happened once or twice.

have fun!
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Thanks guys! Confirmation of what I was pretty much thinking. Shut up and ride it is - though I'll warm up a bit with his sheet on his butt.

Pray for the hounds to strike quickly so you can blow out the pipes and warm both of you! Some days the first 30 minutes is just dreadful when you can't blow them out a bit.

You'll probably be just fine and if it's cold and early in the season, definitely not alone with a green hottie on your hands. Good luck. I've never seen a quarter sheet in the Hunt field and most of ours are clipped to one extent or another. Mine has a full clip this time of the year.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Wow, a new way to have a wreck!

Never thought of this one

:-)

quarter sheet = wreck?! You've never seen my horse when he's cold - quarter sheet is the least of my worries. Guess it could get caught on something though - is that the theory?

Default less is more

horses are out door animals
    Ive hunted on some cold days and except for wet legs from creek crossings breaking through the thin ice [knee deep] he was never bothered much by the cold.
    [I was field master/ice breaker that day]
    always strong and pulled for the first 20 minutes it was no different than usual.
    we both warmed up quickly going and a warm blanket for him right after.
    more hay, less grain