The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Withers & Withers fancy treats fail barn taste test

Ok. As dilemmas go, this one is laughably insignificant. I recognize that, but here goes: my local tack shop had a 20% off sale so in the spirit of boosting the economy I did my duty, and since the Horse has been a good boy lately I sprung for a handsome tin of Withers & Withers organic, fair trade treats (original sweet flavor) and a refill bag of the same.

I got to the barn and opened the tin. They smelled lovely and tasted just like the turbinado sugar I use in my coffee. (Taste? Please. Don't look at me that way. I'm not the only one to give treats a taste. It's not like I taste wormers and meds, which others on this board have admitted to doing )

Anyway. I eagerly offered one to the Horse who readily lipped it up - and then became very confused. He rolled it around in his mouth and then began the sort of rolling-eyed, lolling-tongue oral gyrations you normally see when I insult his palate with bute paste.

He spat the treat out, rather emphatically, and continued bugging his eyes out and chomping and lolling his tongue, just like he does apres bute.

Confounded, I administered the treats to all my friends' horses. To a horse, they all had similar reactions, except a the fat Paint who gobbled it down and looked for more. My trainer's horse, in particular, was not pleased. While I couldn't hear the "patooey" when he spat the treat out, his expression certainly implied a "patooey." He then pinned his ears and glowered at me. I gave him a mint Lifesaver to get back into his good graces and I swear to you he gave it an extra sniff and was very suspicious about taking a treat from the hand that had clearly tried to poison him a few minutes ago.

So there I was, with $40 of organic, fair trade cookies. I considered taking them home to drop in my coffee, but the milled flax seed wouldn't work in that application. So I began to very cruelly and systematically force them upon the Horse.
    I fed a few in fairly quick succession, and finally he got with the program and started crunch them down properly and beg for more.

On a serious note, I'm really happy that the Horse finally appeared to like the treats - the Withers treats are supposed to dissolve and I'm hoping they'll make a nice after-bridling-get-the-juices-flowing treat that won't leave the bit all mucky. I've been using lifesavers but all the little wrappers are a bother. But I was frankly stunned that half the barn said "Ick!" (except the formerly mentioned Paint, who will eat anything.)

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had this experience? Did your horse ultimately get on board with these treats? I wonder if it's not the size (a fat rounded "coin" that's about the diameter of a nickel) or the texture (very hard, almost like a pill, and smooth.)
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Mine spat out the first taste. Like a good owner, I tasted them too and agreed. Tried once more and decided the tin looked good on the shelf if nothing else. Haven't touched them since.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    So there I was, with $40 of organic, fair trade cookies. I considered taking them home to drop in my coffee, but the milled flax seed wouldn't work in that application.
    Do you like oat meal?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Do you like oat meal?
    ...hey, that's an idea! I'd rather the horse eat the $40 treats but if he doesn't, I'll pop a few in my oatmeal, and put lifesavers in the fancy tin.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Ok. I wonder if it's not the size (a fat rounded "coin" that's about the diameter of a nickel) or the texture (very hard, almost like a pill, and smooth.)
    This would be my guess.

PS - $40?? I'm sticking to bags of carrots and sugar cubes

PPS - I really enjoy your writing!
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

My horse loves them, you can send them to me!

Then again he eats pretty much anything you offer him, and sucks things down so fast I'm not sure he actually tastes them. hehe.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

My horse is rather fond of them. I got the ones in the white tin (previously the ones in the maroon/burgundy colored tin)...No, I don't remember what they're actually supposed to be flavored like. But the tins are attractive and I only buy them on sale (and I spent less than $10 on them).

That said, my horse has eaten everything I've ever stuck in front of his face that might be edible.

Except carrot cake.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I guess my horse has expensive tastes. He loves those treats. I bought him some cheap carrot treats a few years back, and he hated them. He would spit those out and make a huge mess shaking his head up and down, his total displeasure obvious. He's never tasted a pricey treat that he didn't like, though. He also likes carrots, peppermints, and sugar cubes, thankfully.

Ted likes them and I love to smell them. But if you want to get those juices flowing for the bridle, use peeps. Really.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I buy the 1lb/$1 cheap iced oatmeal cookies for treats. And occassionally switch up with no-name fig or apple newtons at the same price. Sometimes I give the peanut-butter flavoured dog biscuits I buy for the dogs. My horses aren't picky.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    That said, my horse has eaten everything I've ever stuck in front of his face that might be edible.

Except carrot cake.
    My one mare is the same way! What is it about carrot cake that is so offensive? It seems like the perfect horse treat...

Dolly loves peppermints. Werther's Originals, not so much. While my personal favorite, my horse does not share that view. She took two bites, spit it out, and started licking the wood on the bottom of the stall door to get the taste out of her mouth...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Someone just gave me a bag of those Withers & Withers treats. They are the ones with compressed sugar and peppermint. I ate one, and it was pretty good. Odd smell --- kind of like dill pickles.

All the horses love them.

I got to the barn and opened the tin. They smelled lovely and tasted just like the turbinado sugar I use in my coffee. (Taste? Please. Don't look at me that way. I'm not the only one to give treats a taste. It's not like I taste wormers and meds, which others on this board have admitted to doing )

This made me giggle. I am sure the ppl behind my wall are wondering how my blueprints are so funny. OOps

Great writing and I share the same habit
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I've purchased the IR ones to cut back on sugar and my horse loved them. They are about as expensive as any treat I've seen on the market, and they broke down so much I was feeding him powder for half the bag (and I purchased the "tin").

Nice, but can't stand up to a good old Stud Muffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    I am sure the ppl behind my wall are wondering how my blueprints are so funny. OOps
    Hey, blue prints can be pretty darn funny sometimes. Not usually in a good way, but funny for sure.

Not Withers and Withers (I admit I've never heard of them) but for the longest time my mare would not touch a certain treat that is local to this area. I'd offer and she'd do the sniff with one nostril sniff with the other, roll it around in her mouth, then spit it out. Until the day she saw my gelding eat one or two with gusto and enthusiasm. I offered one and she took it after a thorough sniffing, and she actually bit into it. Her eyes got all big and was practically drooling for the next one. What a nut. Now she eats most treats that are offered but she has a definite sweet tooth.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

JohhniesAuntie, I love the way you write!

Never heard of Withers and Withers. At $40, my horses never will, either!

We use store brand figgies, at $2/2 pound bag. Other commercial treats that are a hit: Pro Manna Peppermint treats, and Meadow Mints.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

If I spent $40 on treats, you can bet they would be for ME!

My horses are thrilled with the $4 DuMors from TSC or the $20 for 20# MannaPro apple wafers from just about anywhere.
    I also treat them to $1 oatmeal or molasses cookies and a huge hit is pasta.
    Plain, uncooked, any shape, 2# for $1 pasta from the Dollar Store.

DG: I tried Peeps, really I did, and they got a "Meh" response.
    Must be an acquired taste or too highbrow for my horses.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009