The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of this proposed rule change?

Out of boredom and curiosity I was looking through some of the proposed rule changes and this one caught my eye: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/399-11.pdf

I have to admit that I have never seen a pony jumper go in draw reins (or a german martingale, but I could be wrong since those are a little more inconspicuous.) Is it really an issue?

Besides that, it seemed like a little bit of a useless rule since they could just enter the ch jumpers or the levels instead.

But really, it doesn't seem like people showing in the children's jumpers (or the adults even!) are, as a group, going to be anymore capable of using draw reins.

I think my favorite proposed rule change was that a tail wrap left on in a equitation class wasn't cause for elimination.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/170-11.pdf

i think its a good rule. too many gadgets out there make the competitors keep em at home.

I think its a good rule, but I must say that I have never seen anyone actually show in draw reins.

Just a couple of months ago COTH had an article about it and asked 3 jumper riders, (I think it included Ludger Beerbaum or Rodrigo Pessoa) their opinion about showing in draw reins. You might want to check through the magazine and see if you can find the article.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Just a couple of months ago COTH had an article about it and asked 3 jumper riders, (I think it included Ludger Beerbaum or Rodrigo Pessoa) their opinion about showing in draw reins. You might want to check through the magazine and see if you can find the article.
    Was that the same article where a rider talked about how she rides horses in only draw reins, with no snaffle rein at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    I think my favorite proposed rule change was that a tail wrap left on in a equitation class wasn't cause for elimination.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/170-11.pdf

I saw that too! I don't understand why you wouldn't just take it off...

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Was that the same article where a rider talked about how she rides horses in only draw reins, with no snaffle rein at all?

I can't remember. I don't think so, but I wouldn't swear to it. I only glanced at it without giving it a thorough reading, since I wouldn't consider using them myself. I am lucky I can jump a fence grabbing mane.

I saw that too! I don't understand why you wouldn't just take it off...
    When someone (a groom or trainer) forgets to take the tail wrap off - the rider gets eliminated. I don't think they leave it on purpose.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    When someone (a groom or trainer) forgets to take the tail wrap off - the rider gets eliminated. I don't think they leave it on purpose.
    I wonder who that happened to for a committee to actually consider making it a rule. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I wonder who that happened to for a committee to actually consider making it a rule. ???
    Agreed. Sorry, but if you are a rider showing, you are ultimately responsible for your appearence and actions in the ring. Can't blame your trainer/groom for that one

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Makes sense! I was thinking maybe someone wanted to be able to leave it on if the horse was a hunter doing one eq class before its division.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Maybe you are talking about this one?

I was just browsing web b/c I was curious after reading this thread. I didn't think you could show in Draw reins at all. But I have seen people do it. Now I realize why, Under $1000 class.
    Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.
    You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed
    Le Petit Prince

No, that article was on getmyfix.org with Ashlee Bond.

http://www.getmyfix.org/807/the-same-5-questions-3/

Quote Originally Posted by HGem View Post
    Agreed. Sorry, but if you are a rider showing, you are ultimately responsible for your appearence and actions in the ring. Can't blame your trainer/groom for that one
    ...Because you can so easily see your horse's rump when you're mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    ...Because you can so easily see your horse's rump when you're mounted.
    Sorry, but any rider at ANY level who does not walk around the horse him/herself and do a spot check BEFORE mounting - irrespective of how famous, how talented, how big a barn they come from, or how generously they tip their groom - is being extremely irresponsible and (in legalspeak) is not demonstrating an appropriate standard of care for their own/their horse's safety and well-being. So yeah, I think the rider absolutely *should* be penalized - the rider is the one with the ultimate responsibility.

This is kind of... Horsemanship 101, frankly.

Unless you think a "blame the groom" mentality is acceptable.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Sorry, but any rider at ANY level who does not walk around the horse him/herself and do a spot check BEFORE mounting
    Most people I know leave the tail wrap on the horse in the warm up ring and take it off at the ring before they go in, not before they get on.

Actually the gist of this rule has been in effect for a long time as per rule EQ109.2 which states that conservative colored bandages are allowed. Most tail wraps are beige ace bandages and would fall under that description.

I have however, seen a rider eliminated from an eq final (not big eq) because her pony had a tail bandage in place.

I think this rule is simply an effort to clarify exactly what is meant and included in EQ109.2.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post
    Most people I know leave the tail wrap on the horse in the warm up ring and take it off at the ring before they go in, not before they get on.
    Yup. Tail wrap is the very last thing to come off -- usually being quickly removed while practically walking into the ring!

Quote Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post
    Yep.

It has nothing to do with a rider not being a "horseman" or a "blame the groom" mentality.