The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Core Strength exercises: Adult on lg. pony flopping around!

After about 6 months of no riding I am back at it. I have always had this issue to an extent but now it is worse from being out of shape and the fact that I AM GOING TO MAKE IT TO GAG NEXT YEAR, so I got to get my act together!

I am slightly to tall feeling for my large pony. He has a short thick neck and I have a tall torso. I flop around! I sometimes feel like a weeble wooble I need some simple exercises I can do at home to work on core strenghtening

I started back riding last week and my legs were sore for 2 days. I started running this week to get in shape and not kill my pony. I figure add in some core strenghtening and I will be on my way.

Thanks!
    Pamela Ellis

My PT gave me a couple really simple ones that have helped me a lot to stabilize things -- planks, where you just hold yourself in straight line off the floor, supporting yourself on your toes and your elbows/forearms. Side planks, where you do the same thing on your side. And sit-ups on an exercise ball. Easy, quick, and I HATE exercise. But the PT makes me do it or I get in trouble...

Stability ball! They are pretty cheap and easy to come by, and they'll make you giggle (I was giggling tonight in my PT session since I could NOT stay upright for some reason). You can pretty much do any crunch exercise on one, but they are made harder because you add in the balance needed to stay on. I really like them and have also used them to get great stretches.

I was hoping Robby Johnson would jump in here. He is a Pilates instructor, and I may have dreamt this, but I thought he did a video with Allison Springer of Pilates exercises specifically designed for riders.
    Again - disclaimer - I might have imagined this.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Thanks everyone.
    Wildlifer I tried those and OMG it was sad! LOL.
    YB - I have heard of several other horse folks and the ball. I'll have to go get one along with the new running shoes I need.
    Fred - I swear I have heard someone else say the same thing. I will google that this weekend. I'll let you know if I find it.
    Ran last night and rode tonight. Skipped the free icecream and cake at work too!
    Pamela Ellis

ROFL -- they are hard!! PT started me at 3 reps of 20 seconds each. My right side was very weak, I had been collapsing on that side in the saddle and I could only do 15 seconds, but after a week I got it up to 20. They really have helped my straightness and stability in the dressage saddle though!

Start with 10 seconds -- I grit my teeth a lot, LOL!

Pilates! My riding and posture improved so much with pilates, and you don't have to do ages of it to see results, even 10 or 20 minutes a day will help. If you can't do classes there are some excellent dvds out there, often the library will have a good selection.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/