The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you love watching your pro ride your horse?

I do. I always have! I've always loved seeing what my horses can do when they are ridden well -- as in, much better than I can ever ride them!

I got to watch a training ride on my horse this weekend and it was marvelous. They worked on a few things, but since we still have a full course up in the big outdoor ring it was mostly just cantering around and jumping. (More detailed training will come when we are stuck in the indoor, but for now we're taking advantage of the space and working on forwardforwardforward and making jumping seem not very exciting at all!) They jumped a little bigger than usual and my horse was awesome! It made me feel even better about eventually showing her myself.

So do you like seeing a pro on your horse?

I never ever ride my horse, it's usually one of the girls who help my trainer. I don't want to ride her; I'm quite happy to be on the ground and hear someone else mutter "Damn!" in a good way. Just makes my day. I never thought I'd have a horse this nice. I can't wait until spring when she shows.

Yes! I especially love watching her show my horse. I would love to own a derby horse and just let my trainer show it

My current trainer, yes. I used to hate watching my horse or pony get schooled because my one coach was very rough on them and they looked really miserable the whole time, but my current coach is great. They all love her and go really well for her. And who doesn't like seeing their horse at their best, right? Especially my young greenies, I love to see how well they go for her. Makes me a proud momma lol.

I love watching a pro ride my horse, to see him at his full potential, as well as to watch how she works out situations with him. My favorite, though, is when a pro shows my horse. I feel like such a proud mommy

When I was younger, I could never understand why people would pay so much money to have a horse and then pay even more money to have someone else show it for them etc.

Now that I am older (I'm in my 40's), I still very much enjoy riding my own horses, I am avid foxhunter and whip in so getting in the saddle is not a problem. However, I have some health issues and a high stress job, and showing is just not as much fun for me as it used to be. But it is still good for my horse to get out now and then and jump around and/or get training rides.
    And I actually enjoy shows more watching the trainer ride my horse, and I love to be my horse's groom. I never thought I would, but I do. I never thought I would have a horse this nice (AND she's a homebred), and it is a real treat to see her ridden well and doing well.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Yes Usually! Haha.... Unless it is a really quirky horse that I can handle better on my own, but technically horses shouldn't get one-person....

Riding different horses is good for us, and different riders are good for the horses. I have an awful right knee, so often times I have a friend who has a bad left hip get on some of my horses, it helps! Each rider has strong points and not so strong points....

I had a horse that had been trained to do upper level dressage before I bought him, and one day a pro got on him and had him doing movements and tricks I could have never imagined he had...
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
    ----> Pre

Actually the older I get, the less I like it. When I was at my teens I jad my horse in a famous dressage stable and it was common practise that owners rode only twice a week and the horses were trained by the pro otherwise.
    Honestly I was never really happy at that time because I was never in harmony with my horse. It did what it was supposed to do and I was sucessful on shows but it was not really making me happy...
    I prefer to ride my horse myself and get good lessons by a very good trainer.

I love watching my trainer ride my Arab/Warmblood cross. With me, my horse look like a fat Arab, lol. With my trainer she looks like a marvelous little pocket-sized warmblood!

yes, I love watching her ride anything. I learn so much watching.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

I love watching mine. However I have noticed hes a bit more annoyed with her riding than me, but thats becasue he cant get away with the usual with her! I love watching her take a course and make one up as she goes (mines a jumper) and its quite amazing to see them go, and also shows me the potential that he has...if I ever get the guts to jump that high!
    Forrest Gump, 14, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 26, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

oh yea. I love watching her ride her. Mostly the only time I get to see her on my girl is when she's being really bad during a lesson, but last winter I did ask her just to ride her over some fences so I could watch and she was awesome! Made my horse look like an eq horse and even took her over some pretty big jumps (since I stick to the little ones). She can definitely ride her to her full potential, and everyone comments on what a super nice horse she is when they see my trainer on her, lol.

What I really like the best though-is getting on right after she gets schooled by my trainer. Its like "ahhhh THIS is what she's supposed to feel like!". Its pretty amazing the difference that she can make in such a short time, in addition to how amazingly little time it takes me to screw it back up!

YES!

Love seeing my horses ridden by my trainers not only because the trainer makes them look so good but also when you ride them you cannot see them.

My hubby said that about his car... he said he likes when I drive it off so he can watch it
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    What I really like the best though-is getting on right after she gets schooled by my trainer. Its like "ahhhh THIS is what she's supposed to feel like!". Its pretty amazing the difference that she can make in such a short time, in addition to how amazingly little time it takes me to screw it back up!
    Yes ^

I tell my trainer "I have ridden him for a few days it's time to DE-AMATEUR-TIZE him!"
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Wow...I am afraid to admit I get jealous watching my trainer ride my horse. Perhaps I am too competitive by nature and just don't get that this riding thing and the distance between my skills and trainer's skills is as vast as the grand canyon.

Bottom line I want to ride like a pro and until that day happens I will continue to get green with envy.

(Go ahead and call me loco)

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Yes ^

I tell my trainer "I have ridden him for a few days it's time to DE-AMATEUR-TIZE him!"
    LOL, totally! Seriously though, some days it doesn't even take me a few days to de-amateurize her. I am that talented that I can sometimes do it in one lesson

I think I make my trainer want to beat her head against a wall at times...

I love it my current horse is super talented and my trainer does a great job with him. I think it gives me more confidence too!

I envy you guys! My trainer is old and no longer rides.. never seen a pro on my newest horse, although I'd love to!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    LOL, totally! Seriously though, some days it doesn't even take me a few days to de-amateurize her. I am that talented that I can sometimes do it in one lesson
    LOL - second that! I jump on after trainer and horse is all round and floaty....and then I can slooooowwwwwlly feel the magic slipping away.
    **Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

Our pro always makes my horses look better.

She can give me great insight and stays all over their program when she's on them regularly.