The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Snowed in!! In October??

Welcome to CO for me. I just moved here a month and a half ago from NC.

I was supposed to feed this morning at my barn 40 minutes away. I had to call my boss and tell her that I couldn't even get my F-250 4wd out of my driveway (probably due to my lack of ever driving in the snow...)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

oh my -- currently 81 in Houston (although that front is supposed to come in tomorrow and drop us from 80 in the am to 40s overnight tomorrow)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Yeah, that's Colorado. I lived up there for 5 years and only once did we not have snow before Halloween. The good news is that it melts and there's usually some lovely weather in November.
    Last edited by CosMonster; Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: snowstorms in September are in fact uncommon, but my typing is not precise

Talking

WELCOME!!!!!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I'm in CT and we're *supposed* to get snow here tomorrow. (highly doubt it though, maybe a few flurries at best)

For driving in snow:
    Put weight in the bed of the pickup. 4wd isn't really 4wd if there isn't any weight over 2 of the tires.
    Stay slow and steady. Don't panic and slow down or speed up, just pick a speed and stick to it.
    It's not as hard as it looks. And if you're driving right for the conditions, then even if you do slide it's in slo-mo and no big deal, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We are a ways South of you and your storm is supposed to get here tonight and leave us maybe 2" of snow.
    Since it will be blowing, I doubt we will have much left to show for it, other than a bit against fences and buildings.

Winter is getting closer, is it.
    All here are saying it is going to be a looooong winter.

Horses are not especially fuzzy yet, so who knows how bad it will be.

I hope you get your pickup unstuck and learn to drive thru snow drifts.
    A shovel helps to get you out when high centered, as do flakes of hay under the tires, to climb up over the drifts.
    Stay safe.

would you all please stop swearing? I don't want my wife to see that word. :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    For driving in snow:

Put weight in the bed of the pickup. 4wd isn't really 4wd if there isn't any weight over 2 of the tires.
    Stay slow and steady. Don't panic and slow down or speed up, just pick a speed and stick to it.
    It's not as hard as it looks. And if you're driving right for the conditions, then even if you do slide it's in slo-mo and no big deal, LOL!
    ^ This... PLUS - make yourself go to an empty parking lot. Take your vehicle up to 40 MPH and then slam on the brakes. This way you will learn how your particular vehicle will react on the snow and you'll learn the feel for it without hitting something
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Kitty litter stored in the truck can come in handy if your tires are spinning. And obvy you MUST have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you are busted in CO if you dont. And it's supposed to snow here in Mass. tomorrow too. Whopee. Can't wait.

SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS!!

I loff snow and have been dreaming about it for weeks! Send it to VA!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    would you all please stop swearing? I don't want my wife to see that word. :=)
    LOL! I know really!! Ack keep it there please!! If it don't snow, I don't stall, less work for me this winter. All horses are pasture boarded, but if snowy/ freezing rain they come in. 16 stalls then to do.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

The s words mean: Waterers off, walking out hoses, moving horses to easier pastures, draining hoses every day, headlamps, blankets, snowblowers, and I still have to buy a new blade....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

^ This... PLUS - make yourself go to an empty parking lot. Take your vehicle up to 40 MPH and then slam on the brakes. This way you will learn how your particular vehicle will react on the snow and you'll learn the feel for it without hitting something
    Always a good idea to practice snow driving in a parking lot. But...in an F250 with 4wd, due to the height of the truck, do NOT turn your steering wheel if trying this or you'll fall over.

I love the snow too...can't wait! I'm just tickled that the cool weather FINALLY got here. A few days ago it was still in the high 60s overnight. In late October. In CT. Where's the fruitbat? By now our weather is normally perfect during the day and getting nippy at night and the comfort food/crockpot and fireplace w/crackling fire and fall scented candles and baking are all going on. Who wants to watch football in a tank top? Blech.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We got about 8". My boyfriend promised to teach me how to drive in it this afternoon. The mall is right across the street and they have not scraped the parking lot so we are going there. Luckily for me he has TONS of snow driving experience.

And fyi my dog is having SOOO much fun in it.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...82668806_n.jpg

And here is what my monster beast of a truck looks like now :/
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...08632573_n.jpg
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

CO usually has the worst snow in Oct/early Nov, and Spring March/April, with the storms in between not so bad. It has something to do with moisture coming through that time of year. And the worst winter driving hazard is the other drivers, not the snow.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS!!

Uh, no! Some of us still have a horse show or two left and have been too busy to see fall yet! give me another month at least, please!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

what? no!

SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS!!

No, No and No!!

First winter we will be 100% without an indoor ring to use and plan on showing straight through to spring.....if I don't see one flake this year, I will be happy!

I'm dreaming of a Green Christmas Farmers Almanac says wet but mild winter for the mid-Atlantic/PA - hoping for mild
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

dani0303- love your dog! I used to have a dog that looked really similar. She was actually my first dog.

We got about that much snow down here (north of Colorado Springs) but thankfully it just started sticking to the roads. I am dreading my drive home from work though. Sadly no barn time for me today though as I don't feel up to driving out east where the roads get iced from the wind blowing the snow.

At least it should start dissapearing within a day or two
    My blog:

RAWR