The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which GPS unit? Please? Anyone??

Starting to think about holiday gifts for the trainer...

A GPS for "wheeling" the course might be just the thing; I did a search and it sounds like a lot of people like the Garmin, especially the eTrex.

That one comes in three models... any difference between them? Between older and newer models? GPSs from other companies? What's a good price? What do you like/ dislike about yours?

Also, pros/cons of a GPS watch instead of a handheld... would it do the job easily (trainer is chronically overextended and distracted ) AND add the pace/ speed functionality?

Trainer does NOT have a smartphone, so no apps!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by baxtersmom; Oct. 27, 2011 at 08:25 AM.

I feel like the teach from Ferris Bueller.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

I just (like two days ago--haven't gotten it yet) bought a Garmin 110 to run with. I chose it because the reviews said it was basic and easy to use. Also I wanted the woman's model because the man's looked huge. The reviews I read for non- Garmins were not very positive. Sorry I can't be very helpful!

No! That's great! Please report back and let me know how it works for you!

PS. Is it the Forerunner model?

I have a Garmin eTrex and love it. I have used it for Geocaching as well as shows. I even use it traveling....not for navigation, just to keep track of mileage. I've used it in the airplane while flying (commercially) to give me an idea of where I'm at. My SO is a pilot and he has a higher quality Garmin in his plane.

Just my $.02 FWIW

Cody

I have a Garmin Rino 530HCx for Geocaching. It is an awesome GPS, with duel band radio and full on mapping capabilities with elevation and color and day/night contrast. Admittedly, I got that because most of my geocaching is back country in the mountains where cell phones are not really reliable.

I love the whole thing.

We used Garmin Forerunner 305s for the speed study. They don't have good onscreen mapping for XC. You need to download the watch in order to really see the map.

Reed

Another vote for Garmin!

Have an eTrex and a Nuvi in the car. My dad is a pilot and a guy that spends a lot of time in the bush and he discouraged me from buying any other brand.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I use the etrex for xc distances (as do most of the other TDs I know). Doug Payne uses something different. I was looking at the newest Garmin. I have a 305 that I use for running, but far prefer the etrex for course distances.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I am new to the whole GPS watch for cross country thing - I was amazed when Doug Payne said on Eventing Nation that his watch gave him pace. AND he doesn't have to wheel courses! Can anyone explain to me how, exactly, they use their watch for cross country? Is it difficult to use? Is it accurate for your course (ie, do you still wheel it) and how do you program your course into the watch? I would love to get one, but haven't heard of them until Doug mentioned and am not sure where to start shopping...

I use my eTrex for regular trail riding out in the woods. It's fun to see how far and maximum speed we're going. I've never uploaded maps or anything like that, though.

ETA: and I really like it. It was cool on our TN trip to know Froggy can gallop uphill (up-mountain?) at 28 mph.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

I am a garmin fan all the way
    I have an etrex legend for geocaching and a nuvi for the car. Will start using the etrex for cross country, conditioning, and trail riding/bush-whacking!

It depends on what you want to use the gps for. Some of them have maping capabilities, along with topo, some just track, etc.

Myself and my SO bought ours on ebay and both work perfectly for a fraction of the price if you are comfortable using ebay.

Hope this helps!
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I use an Etrex vista foxhunting to see how far we go, where we go, and average and max speed. Works really well.

Here's a sample:

On a Topo map

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/138874686

using google earth

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/138874690
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    I am new to the whole GPS watch for cross country thing - I was amazed when Doug Payne said on Eventing Nation that his watch gave him pace. AND he doesn't have to wheel courses! Can anyone explain to me how, exactly, they use their watch for cross country? Is it difficult to use? Is it accurate for your course (ie, do you still wheel it) and how do you program your course into the watch? I would love to get one, but haven't heard of them until Doug mentioned and am not sure where to start shopping...
    I would imagine the same way runners use them for pace, but I suspect there will be some math involved. I know most Garmins show pace in min/mile or /km, and can update them live. I don't think you'd necessarily need to program the course into the watch though.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Red face @ Painted Wings (slight hijack)

Quick question, can you upload your track to google earth, overlay it and save it? I'd love to give that a go in a couple of weeks, when my BHFF and I go horse camping.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg