The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thorowgood saddles... Gullet impossible to change!

I was all excited because my Thorowgood T4 broadback dressage saddle came today from Dover. I had ordered the medium wide gullet for it because it comes with the extra wide gullet... went to exchange it, expecting it to be as easy as my Bates (takes me less than 1 minute) and 20 minutes later gave up. I ended up bringing it home to my hubby and it took him 20 minutes, plus me wielding another screwdriver to provide leverage so that we could get the holes to line up. Should I send it back? Should it be that difficult? This is my first experience with Thorowgood so I don't have any basis for comparison.

When I first got my Thorowgood (T4 endurance), it took the saddle fitter about 20 minutes to change the gullet plate, and she knew what she was doing. She said it's often difficult the first time. After riding in it for a year, I had to change to a wider plate because my horse had gotten more muscled in his back, and I did it in about 5 minutes, very easily. I wonder if it gets broken-in over time?
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.