The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Saddles with panels similar to L'Apogee?

I've come to the conclusion that neither of my saddles fit my horse, a 16.2 TB gelding with a "roof back" and the dreaded dips-behind-the-wither. (I'm already mourning the possible loss of my beloved Barnsby jumping saddle.) He's changed shape drastically since I bought the two saddles, thanks to groceries and hard work, so I'm on the dreaded saddle hunt.

I have a Kieffer Wien DL that seems to fit him OK, but I think the gusseted panels are a bit too flat for his back, and I'm not thrilled with it. On a whim, I put a fellow boarder's L'Apogee dressage saddle on him... and holy cow. It was a tad too wide in front, but it fit him like a glove otherwise.

That being said... I can't drop $4k on a saddle. What other types of saddles fit similar to L'Apogees? I'm guessing other French brands such as Devocoux, Childeric, Antares, etc. will fit similarly, but those tend to be also out of my price range.

Any suggestions?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

You're right that those other French saddles have similar trees and panels.

I also sent you a PM with another idea.

After doing some board research, I'm curious about other brands that seem to have a similar panel build: Harry Dabbs, Jaguar, Cobra (basically the last 2 are HD), and Dominus... They seem to have a rounder/upswept panel and shorter points... am I totally wrong?
    -my life-
    Translation

Try to buy a used APogee. Just google the saddle used, I see them online from time to time .

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    Try to buy a used APogee. Just google the saddle used, I see them online from time to time .
    Or scrimp and save. If you buy a new saddle it will last and in a year or two you won't regret it. Then if you ever have a different horse you can have it re-fit or sell it used and apply money to another new one. L'Apogees really hold their value.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    Or scrimp and save. If you buy a new saddle it will last and in a year or two you won't regret it. Then if you ever have a different horse you can have it re-fit or sell it used and apply money to another new one. L'Apogees really hold their value.
    Sure they do, just like any other high-end saddle. If you can find someone who's looking for a used L'Apogee. Which isn't as easy as it sounds. Ask me how I know...

Yes, but the underlying issue here is that I'm an eventer, therefore I need two saddles. If I did only dressage, I could justify spending $2.5-3k on a used L'Apogee saddle... but since I jump, I can't, because I'd have to ride XC bareback. So instead I have to find the next best thing (max $1500-$2000), which unfortunately doesn't even include a used L'Apogee.
    -my life-
    Translation

I would contact Kitty directly and find out what saddles she thinks are similar to hers. My guess is, not many (if any). The saddle is constructed in France, but was designed by her here in the good ole' US of A. She's in VA too. When I called her on the phone (after riding in someone else's L'Apogee for a couple weeks) she spent a lot of time talking to me about the design of her saddles, and the seat differences (she has 2 kinds for each size--basically determines where the "sweet spot" in the seat is).

So, of course now I OWN a L'Apogee and I could not be happier. Still have my old saddle for sale, still paying off that CC. But I can sit a huge medium/extended trot now where I could't before, mainly because of the twist/seat configuration. And being foam flocked, it fits lots of horses and no reflocking for $100+ every 6 mo to a year...
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    After doing some board research, I'm curious about other brands that seem to have a similar panel build: Harry Dabbs, Jaguar, Cobra (basically the last 2 are HD), and Dominus... They seem to have a rounder/upswept panel and shorter points... am I totally wrong?
    nope not totally wrong. Bonus, HD, Jaguar and Dominus offer xc saddles too (to my recollection) so you could find a matched pair for dressage and xc phases.

Also look at Roosli, same panel design.

And finally, you and your horse will have died and gone to heaven if you find any saddles by Keith Bryan (same panel design you seek, but special flocking, tri wool, and the trees are adjustable). He also does xc and dressage saddles, but they are hard to find in the USA.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

The Galloping Grape in Warrenton, VA has a used L'Apogee.

http://gallopinggrape.com/dressagesaddles.aspx