The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blue Hors

If Gal qualifies Romanov for the Olympics for Denmark, would he also be able to ride another horse for the Netherlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    If Gal qualifies Romanov for the Olympics for Denmark, would he also be able to ride another horse for the Netherlands?
    Nope.

Is he a Danish citizen as well? I assumed Romanov would have to have a partial Dutch owner, didn't even think about the possibility EG could compete for a different country. I can't find it, but think there's a 3 year time gap required between representing countries, aka can't ride for two countries in one Olympics. I don't know if that is for world championships or Olympics only, though, so I have no idea if the WEG matters at all. The Dutch Olympic committee may have to approve his switching to another country as well - I have no idea if they would or not.

I'm not finding anything definitive on requirements searching for it right now.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

You compete for the country of which you are a citizen.

Thanks. I didn't think so either. So it makes Blue Hors' comment about "creating the best conditions to achieve strong results in London" a bit mysterious, yes? Unless Gal trains the horse and Petersen qualifies it. Is dressage going the catch-ride route?

Gal can only qualify Romanov for the Dutch team because of his nationality.. but if he does and Lars qualifies Casmir for Denmark, than Blue Hors will have two horses at the Olympics for two different nations
    --
    Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
    http://www.eurodressage.com

Not really mysterious. It's been done tons of times before. Remember Lisa Wilcox showing those German-owned stallions for the USA?

This way, Blue Hors could have two horses in the Olympics showing for two different countries.

Where did people get the idea that the horse's owner's nationality makes any difference?

If Gal qualifies Romanov, it will be for the Dutch team.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    You compete for the country of which you are a citizen.
    I know when my trainer was shortlisted there was some question as to whether she'd have to compete for the US instead of Canada because her sponsors are in Michigan. Her one sponsor (husband & wife team) has dual citizenship so she was able to compete for Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Where did people get the idea that the horse's owner's nationality makes any difference?

Because there was discussion on that topic when Totilas was sold - that because he had German owners, he could only compete for Germany unless he was partially sold to citizens of another country.

Or see CZF's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post

You're wrong about it not making any difference, so where did you get the idea it didn't matter?

See p. 9
    http://www.horsesport.org.za/para/do...207%202011.pdf
    2.2 Ownership
    2.2.1. Horses entered for the Equestrian Events at the Olympic Games must have been registered with FEI as property of owners of the same nationality as the Athlete, by 31 December 2011.

Regarding the nationality of the rider, the WEG apparently counts and EG couldn't compete for Denmark in 2012. http://www.fei.org/rules/sport-nationality
    Specifically, an athlete who has represented on country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognized by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country

Okay, my bad. How did Lisa Wilcox compete Relevant? Wasn't he German owned?

And Cesar Parra - wasn't Galant du Serein owned by HU?
    Last edited by Kadenz; Oct. 25, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added

If you had read the rules before laughing at those who were correct, it says for everything except the Olympic Games, a rider may compete a horse owned by others of a different nationality, no problem.

For the Olympic Games, the owner or lessee must be the same nationality as the rider.

So the rider could either lease the horse, or be entered as a partial owner of the horse. It doesn't say what the minimum percentage of ownership must be, just that in the case of multiple owners of different nationalities, they have to choose which country the horse will compete for (which then has to be the same as the rider). So I guess for $1, you could be a partial owner.

Gee, thanks for the information, yaya. I forgot I had to read the entire FEI rulebook before ever thinking I knew anything.

I didn't realize that being a lessee would qualify as ownership for the OG.

Does anyone actually know what was done in Relevant's or GdS's cases? I'm just curious, as I knew riders had definitely competed horses who were owned by citizens of another nationality. I assumed it didn't matter.

The way the rules are written, it still doesn't really matter. They go through some dumb paperwork, and the result is the same. Figures.

I wouldn't have realized horse's owner's nationality mattered either ... I didn't know that the van Baalens "leased" Idocus when Marlies rode him in the 2004 Athens games.

This is the type of information I still see (this excerpt from eurodressage.com)

... Idocus' owner Christine McCarthey decided to move the bay over to Holland for breeding reasons.

There, he was trained by Marlies van Baalen and proved to be more successful in the Dutch show ring than on the breeding market. Van Baalen competed Idocus at the 2004 Olympic Games ...

No mention of "leasing" ... but as yaya notes, leasing can be treated as nothing more than a checkbox.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I read that Lisa had a small percentage ownership in the German stallions she showed, so she could show them for the.US