The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnetic Boots for Hocks/or magnetic blanket

For horse with fusing hocks or blanket for sore lower back caused by sore hocks? My horse is suffering from this and takes a looooong time to warm up.
    I have researched it (on the net only, not always the most reliable source!) and the response appears to be 50/50. Has anyone had any luck with this? If the idea is to FUSE the hocks, will increasing blood flow/circulation actually slow it down as (you would think) more synovial fluid & cartilage would be encouraged to stay, and with fusing you require the opposite?
    Experiences, please! I am not sceptical, just don't want to waste money

Quote Originally Posted by RillRill View Post
    For horse with fusing hocks or blanket for sore lower back caused by sore hocks? My horse is suffering from this and takes a looooong time to warm up.
    I have researched it (on the net only, not always the most reliable source!) and the response appears to be 50/50. Has anyone had any luck with this? If the idea is to FUSE the hocks, will increasing blood flow/circulation actually slow it down as (you would think) more synovial fluid & cartilage would be encouraged to stay, and with fusing you require the opposite?
    Experiences, please! I am not sceptical, just don't want to waste money
    Be very skeptical of "magnetic" therapies. There is no, I say again NO, proof that they work at any level.

There are electromagnetic devices that do work (MRIs, TENS units, etc.) but these are professional-grade devices.

What does your vet say? If you don't like that have you had a second vet opinion? These may not be cheap, but they will likely be the highest and best information you can get.

As for "experiences," remember that you're talking to anonymous laymen who may or may not have the slightest idea of what they are talking about. You may also get glowing reports from "shills" who make money selling this stuff. Ask for SOAP analysis that proved the "magnetic" device worked. If you see the "I don't care about the science, I only know it worked for me" assertion then run away, far and fast.

Magnets are great for holding stuff on refrigerators, enabling electrical power generation, degaussing ship hulls, etc. As "therapy" devices they are bunk.

Good luck with your horse.

G.

Magnets are great for holding stuff on refrigerators, enabling electrical power generation, degaussing ship hulls, etc.

Best. Magnet. Review. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Preston View Post
    Magnets are great for holding stuff on refrigerators, enabling electrical power generation, degaussing ship hulls, etc.

Best. Magnet. Review. Ever.
    Agreed!

I ditched magnets and went with Back on Track for my horse. I definitely notice a difference when it gets cooler out that he is more limber and warms up better. I have the mesh sheet (best money ever spent on horse clothes!), hock boots, and quick wraps.

The quick wraps help with my old guy (34!) with cool weather stocking up and stiffness. He wears them a few hours and he is mr. happy feet again!

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

I was going to suggest Back on Track, too, although I've not used it myself. I know people who have and it's supposed to help.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

http://www.equestrianprofessional.co...s(2003464).htm

Are these them? Back on track Hock wraps 12th down.

Yes, but you can get them for less: http://www.backontrackproducts.com/H...raps-p319.html

And maybe less than that -- I didn't look around.

They have hock wraps if that's what you want: http://www.backontrackproducts.com/T...oles-p293.html

Also have them with holes.

Thanks. I think I will get a pair. I'm in Australia, the going rate here looks to be $110. No one I know uses them, but then again no one I know has a horse with bad hocks. My friend with gallopers uses the quick wraps with great results.