The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advertising Hunt Horses

Hi:

I was wondering if you all could tell me the best places to cheaply advertise a hunt horse. The horse I want to sell hasn't hunted (yet), but he's going to be amazing at it. We live in NC, so I am looking to advertise in NC, SC and VA.

Thanks!

I'm going to go on a limb and say that you should not advertise a horse as a hunt horse unless it has proven itself in the hunt field more than a few times.

Ditto above.

I'd go further on the limb and say 'Hunt Horse' = at least a full season of hunting (once or twice a week, for 20-32 weeks, in a row) if not 2 full seasons.
    And 'Has Hunted!' can mean .... many things. : ) I'd rather see more specifics -- perhaps 'Hunted x number of seasons with ABC Hunt Club. On the buckle, in a snaffle, no martingale, no 'prep', leads or follows' etc.
    Calling a non-hunter a hunter just isn't kosher.
    On the other hand, if the seller is a vastly experienced foxhunter (I'm talking decades of hunting 2+ times a week, all season) who has vast experience making field hunters, then indeed, saying a horse 'will' make a foxhunter holds some merit.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Triple ditto. I have been so aggravated by folks who list their horses as foxhunters when they have never hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuequine View Post
    Hi:

I was wondering if you all could tell me the best places to cheaply advertise a hunt horse. The horse I want to sell hasn't hunted (yet), but he's going to be amazing at it. We live in NC, so I am looking to advertise in NC, SC and VA.

Thanks!
    then it's not a hunt horse. My horse has never seen a cart but she would be AMAZING at pulling one. Um no.
    Get someone to hunt it a few times for you and then advertise it, and put in the ad that it has hunted a few times, period. Please dont call it a hunt prospect either. That usually means it's some piece of shit that is too crappy a mover for hunters or dressage and not a good enough jumper for eventing so they try to pass it off on the foxhunters.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    I'd go further on the limb and say 'Hunt Horse' = at least a full season of hunting (once or twice a week, for 20-32 weeks, in a row) if not 2 full seasons.
    And 'Has Hunted!' can mean .... many things. : ) I'd rather see more specifics -- perhaps 'Hunted x number of seasons with ABC Hunt Club. On the buckle, in a snaffle, no martingale, no 'prep', leads or follows' etc.
    Calling a non-hunter a hunter just isn't kosher.
    On the other hand, if the seller is a vastly experienced foxhunter (I'm talking decades of hunting 2+ times a week, all season) who has vast experience making field hunters, then indeed, saying a horse 'will' make a foxhunter holds some merit.
    I agree. Somehow I don't think the OP is Grosvernor or Rose-Marie. If they called it a hunt prospect I would take their word for it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

nice to see that everyone is in agreement on this issue. how many times have we all heard " wow. this would make a really great hunt horse " from people who have never hunted, and therfeore could never possibly know what makes a good hunt horse. i wouldn't bother passing him off as anything other than what it sounds like he is. a green horse. greenies aren't worth much, especially in todays market. anyone who wants to go green is just gonna visit their track contact. they're giving them away. but don't feel so bad. we've all seen horse listings like this before. besides, no one i know buys horses who " mightbe good at this " we might take horses on trial, but we try them out first. if they don't hunt, they go back. and your timing is poor. anyone in the market for a huter now needs one ready to go. i doubt the horse is even fit enough or properly schooled for the huntfield. put some time in. work him. hilltop. whatever. then maybe try to sell him next spring when the season is over and he has some mileage under his belt. right now, as it stands, his market value is equal to every other horse " who might be good at this, but has never hunted " which is ALL horses, with the exception of those who do

Default 6x

I HATE when a horse is called a "hunt" prospect. Every horse in the world could be called that! Unless a horse has been out hunting with hounds

AT LEAST SIX TIMES,

I would not say a horse will make a field hunter.

I have started psycho types that loved hunting and conversely super-quiet ones that tried to kill me. You never know how a horse is going to react until it has heard hounds in full cry running towards it. Galloping in a group of horse buddies can bring out the worst in one, also.

You want brakes, steering, leg yielding, balance and half halts. Over bitting is preferable. Wear spurs and carry a whip/crop.

Rosie Merle-Smith, MFH-TVH
    Virginia Field Hunters

Default at the risk of beating a dead horse....

DITTO!!!! I say it kindly, but if your horse has not hunted, you do not ever know that he/ she will be amazing at it. And you can' t prove a hunt horse after 1- 2 times out....after being shell- shocked the first few times out, they can really change, and sometimes NOT for the better.

First off, I asked everyone for their suggestions on where to advertise, not for their opinion on the horse I want to advertise. I purposefully didn't say a lot about this horse in the opening post, so I wouldn't get flagged for inappropriate advertising. Instead, I am getting blasted for advertising a horse that you all no nothing about.

I am not advertising this horse as a hunt horse. Advertising him as a hunt prospect. If that isn't kosher in the world of foxhunting, then excuse me. In the world of eventing, you here of eventing prospect, hunter/jumper prospect, dressage prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    nice to see that everyone is in agreement on this issue. how many times have we all heard " wow. this would make a really great hunt horse " from people who have never hunted, and therfeore could never possibly know what makes a good hunt horse. i wouldn't bother passing him off as anything other than what it sounds like he is. a green horse. greenies aren't worth much, especially in todays market. anyone who wants to go green is just gonna visit their track contact. they're giving them away. but don't feel so bad. we've all seen horse listings like this before. besides, no one i know buys horses who " mightbe good at this " we might take horses on trial, but we try them out first. if they don't hunt, they go back. and your timing is poor. anyone in the market for a huter now needs one ready to go. i doubt the horse is even fit enough or properly schooled for the huntfield. put some time in. work him. hilltop. whatever. then maybe try to sell him next spring when the season is over and he has some mileage under his belt. right now, as it stands, his market value is equal to every other horse " who might be good at this, but has never hunted " which is ALL horses, with the exception of those who do
    What makes you say that we don't have experience foxhunting? I don't, but my boss (who owns the horse) trained hunt horses for Midland Hunt in GA and rode with Middleburg Hunt in VA. Please don't assume that we don't know what we are talking about just because we don't know the best places to advertise. Advertising changes over the years, so my boss is a little out of the loop.

This horse has significant experience eventing and his overall temperament is very quiet. Does that make him a shoe in for a hunt horse, no, but its a good start. I am aware that you can't call a horse a hunt horse until they have completed several seasons, but there is nothing wrong with saying that we believe that this horse would make a nice hunt horse. That is how all my advertising has been thus far.

If I am being over sensitive, then I apologize, but I don't like the tone that the past posts have had that we are mis-advertising our horse, when you all haven't even seen the ad.

If anyone would like to tell me where good places to advertise would be, I would appreciate that. If not, please keep you opinions about our horse to yourself.

Thank you

One more things. Another difference is that I am not trying to get the $10000-$20000 that you can get for a "made" hunt horse. I am asking a whole lot less then that, because he isn't a hunt horse (yet), and its a bad time of the year.

Hi:

Thanks!
    Since your original post did not mention using the word "prospect", I think you were given sound advice. Which was don't advertise as a hunt horse if he hasn't hunted.

I would think if you were advertising as a prospect then you would want to be able to say he's handled everything a foxhunter wound need to handle, except the actual hunting. (galloping in groups, standing quietly in groups after said gallop, trail riding with a few hounds(dogs) that are roaming on and off the trail). If a horse can manage these things with out blowing a gasket, I would consider them a foxhunting prospect.

Foxhunters Online is one site that is free to join and allows advertising.

Maybe your local hunt has an advertising section on their web site.

Best of Luck.
    Last edited by jawa; Nov. 8, 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    Since your original post did not mention using the word "prospect", I think you were given sound advice. Which was don't advertise as a hunt horse if he hasn't hunted.

I would think if you were advertising as a prospect then you would want to be able to say he's handled everything a foxhunter wound need to handle, except the actual hunting. (galloping in groups, standing quietly in groups after said gallop, trail riding with a few hounds(dogs) that are roaming on and off the trail). If a horse can manage these things with out blowing a gasket, I would consider them a foxhunting prospect.

Foxhunters Online is one site that is free to join and allows advertising.

Maybe your local hunt has an advertising section on their web site.

Best of Luck.
    Thank you for your response. I guess when I expressed that this horse hasn't hunted I figured most people would think that I was smart enough to know that I cannot call him a hunt horse. I would never advertise on of our horses as an eventer if he's never evented. I guess I just assumed that was common sense. What I didn't take into consideration is that you all don't know me, so how would you know that? I apologize if I came across overly strong.

This horse has galloped with a group of horses, stands very calmly before and after gallops and trail rides with our farm dogs regularly.

I will check out the advertising suggestions you provided.

Thanks

I don't think anyone was looking to be unkind, but the title of the post was "where to advertise a hunt horse" and was, as you said, lacking in some detail. And you were absent for two weeks after your initial post, without the more detailed information you've since provided, ten people posted in response to only what was in your initial post.
    www.foxhuntinghorse.com does have a prospects section

FoxhuntingLife.com has an advertising section.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I am not advertising this horse as a hunt horse. Advertising him as a hunt prospect. If that isn't kosher in the world of foxhunting, then excuse me. In the world of eventing, you here of eventing prospect, hunter/jumper prospect, dressage prospect.

Thank you
    You said in your original post here:

ncsuequine

Advertising Hunt Horses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi:

that you wanted to cheaply advertise a "hunt horse" then proceeded to state that he has not hunted. We responded in kind.