The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default North American Sport Horse Federation Website has launched!!!

It looks fantastic!

We are very excited to participate in this ambitious program
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how I feel about $850 annual dues. At what point can and will registries throw up their hands and say no more fees. It seems like this federation will only reach it's full potential if all registries participate, and yet I can easily see registries choosing to pass based on the $850 annual dues.

Perhaps a sliding scale type of fee schedule might also be appropriate, to accommodate smaller registries. Or a lower fee for registries who participate, but who do not vote, for example.

In part I'm thinking of the database and tracking, which will be more useful the more registries participate, and would only be complete with all registries participating. And yet I wonder if the $850 annual dues may deter some registries.

I do however applaud the concept and the obvious work put forth so far. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Who are the four directors who "shall hold office indefinitely or until they are no longer physically or mentally able at which time their successor will be determined by the remaining members of the board"?
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

I'm a little disappointed in the goals given on the website.

There ARE young horse championships in the USA for Hunters, Jumpers and Dressge horses.
    The IJF has done very well in producing GP jumpers, the program is a success.
    USHJA has been discussing a Futurity for Hunters for some time, ( By the way USHJA is the affiliate for Hunters and Jumpers so perhaps communication with them would be a good idea LOL They have the same status for jumpers that USDF has for dressage and USEA has for eventing )What's the point of developing another program? Just because that's the way it's done in Europe?

And hunter sire and points aren't even linked. It's your biggest market and once again it's ignored.

USEF already has breeder awards. So what's different about this set of breeder awards?

The PHA is a national group that provides support to Professional horsepeople including disability and death benefits. There are several other groups that do the same and are discipline specific. Why not get involved with one of the other established programs?

I guess I was expecting something that reflected NA realities instead of a group that seems to be a Euro wanna be.

I am interested in seeing what the database solution is and how it will differ from the usual USEF rankings.

Anybody have details on that aspect?

Questions:
    Will this new federation be, in any way, involved with the WBFSH ?

It's well known that GOV (a member of the NASHF) encourages US breeders to breed to German stallions. There was only one US stallion they recommended this past breeding season. The NASHF makes reference several times to doing things as they do in Europe (clearly a successful model), but how much will be focused on US bred horses ? When I saw that GOV was a member, it was a red flag.

Nevertheless, I wish them much success.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Questions:
    It's well known that GOV (a member of the NASHF) encourages US breeders to breed to German stallions. There was only one US stallion they recommended this past breeding season. The NASHF makes reference several times to doing things as they do in Europe (clearly a successful model), but how much will be focused on US bred horses ? When I saw that GOV was a member, it was a red flag.
    This is really not true. I have many times, over many years, heard the Oldenburg inspectors suggest US or Canadian based stallions to breeders, and also to me when I have asked for breeding suggestions for mares owned by various friends. In fact, I can distinctly remember hearing recommendations from last year for over a half dozen different NA based stallions, and at least that many again this year. I also just recently heard one of the inspectors dissuade a breeder from using a German based stallion in favor of one located here (she actually recommended three NA stallions to this particular breeder - and those three stallions were owned by different people).

As for NASHF itself, I am also surprised that they are leaving out hunters, but I would guess that the founding registries decided on the rules.

Also a bit disappointed to see that there are only 4 registries involved at this point.

As for the $850 membership fee being too expensive for the "small registries" - I could be wrong, but I don't believe sBs is very large, and it has chosen to participate.

Regarding the championships - I am guessing they hope to bring them all under the same umbrella (i.e., not have separate championship venues or events or series for H/J, dressage, etc.)

USEF rankings are notoriously unreliable due to errors in the database and the penchant in certain disciplines for changing a horse's name every time it changes owners or goes on the market. Hopefully any rankings compiled by NASHF will be more reliable.

I haven't had a chance to read the by-laws yet - will try to look at them later.

Kudos to those involved in getting this off the ground. I am sure it took a lot of work, and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

I breezed through it and I am not sure what this new federation is supposed to do?

Just another representation body? Sorry I don't remember all the background info on this... Would love to get involved if it's interesting!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I'm all for the UELN # use.

What I find to be a very bad idea is a Board with an even # of members. Who breaks a tie vote. It's always a better idea to set the total board members as an odd # to avoid this problem.

We'll see how it goes. I see they plan to go to the World Breeding Federation for Sporthorses meeting in Spain. Too bad the current members of this new organizaton didn't send representatives to the 2010 meeting which was held in Devon PA the same week as DAD
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

This is what happens when there is a big party after the stallion testing in Oklahoma ....... Let me guess, the folks on the board include Jos, maybe Otto, and a couple of others...?
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Thumbs down No hunters????????????????

How intellectual to leave out 50% of the US horses?

What?

Hunters don't count?... Have any of the organizers been to a show lately :-)

OK with me, just one more useless organization that I don't need to think about

Isn't it sad that the US horsemen, can no longer think on their own, but needs to follow Europe? Very disappointing.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Default Laughing and shaking my head....

Many on this Board complain and rant that there is no record keeping for US bred warmblood horses, dam lines, competition results, and no help from the USEF.... Here is a group (with advice from all warmblood registries regardless of whether they are current members or not) that hopes to correct that problem, has been coordinating with the USEF (who support their effort), has spent a ton of money and has their first site up and running. Is it finished yet? No. But it's a beginning.

This is a very much needed service for NA breeders, so while maybe not exactly what everyone wanted, let's get behind it and support it.

And, no Siegi, neither Otto nor Jos are on the BOD.

I for one am standing up and cheering for their success. Just having a UELN will be a huge step forward...
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member

If they accomplish nothing more than the UELN (lifetime number) and accurate record-keeping, they will have done a FABULOUS service and will have been successful in my book.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

If you exclude 50% of the horses that show in the US (namely HUNTERS) then how is tracking the UELN number going to help anyone?

How appropriate for a US based organization to shove out the main group of horses shown in this country. But then why not? The Euro style registries only want the money from the hunter people and then pat them on the head, hand them low scores, and shove them out the door.

Why must our Equine organizations mimick Europe?
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    If they accomplish nothing more than the UELN (lifetime number) and accurate record-keeping, they will have done a FABULOUS service and will have been successful in my book.
    Amen to that!

I just sent off another email to USEF regarding inaccurate/missing bloodline info for several horses comprising their TOP SIRE rankings!

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsefilly View Post
    The Euro style registries only want the money from the hunter people and then pat them on the head, hand them low scores, and shove them out the door.
    Another blanket statement that is not quite accurate.

At our recent OHBS/GOV inspection, we had 8 dressage bred foals and 2 H/J bred foals. BOTH H/J foals were named premium (only 4 of the dressage bred foals earned premiums). Furthermore, one of the H/J foals was given the Foal of Distinction award as top foal. Seems that is a bit more than just a "pat on the head".

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    If they accomplish nothing more than the UELN (lifetime number) ... they will have done a FABULOUS service and will have been successful in my book.
    What is all this about the UELN? The registries that have data sharing agreements with USEF supply the UELN when the foals receive their life recording number. You can already search USEF's database by the UELN number under the Horse Recording search engine. If I'm not mistaken the Continental Studbook UELN even contains the USEF number within the UELN.

sylvan farm - since you're obviously one of the folks in the know, why don't you tell us who the board members are? I think that will tell us more about the general orientation of this organization.

Thanks!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    the folks on the board include Jos
    Nothing to do with me whatsoever. I am actually a little puzzled as to why you thought it might be!

There is no doubt that North American sport horse registries require something to make them more cohesive and to serve the industry with pushing forward the abilities to record performance in a standardized format - something that will not be achieved until there is a UELN and single-passport system in place to prevent reincarnations. All good items to be addressed by a cohesive industry association manned by all the far-sighted registries pulling for it in the same manner and direction.

But it's nothing to do with me!

Regards to all,

Hey all! Most of your questions will be answered after we hold a meeting with the member registries in November. The purpose of the board in this capacity is more to manage, organize, and represent, thus the board members are few in number and chosen to be neutral parties.

Please be patient. We must start somewhere and it will take us a bit to get the ball rolling. While we did not attend the 2010 WBFSH meeting, we were present for USEF meeting. What we found was that there is a huge need for representation from the sporthorse breeders and registries. Many of the committees were filled with representatives from the Quarter Horse, Morgan, Arabian, Friesian, and Saddlebred communities, but almost none from the sporthorse breeding community. We need a voice!!

In regards to the hunters, that is one of the items on the agenda for the November meeting. From the feedback I have heard from the registries, they all understand the importance of the hunters to the North American sporthorse industry. I think there is middle ground in meeting the needs of the industry while also maintaining high quality standards.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!