The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you get everything into a tack trunk?

I'm a trail rider who takes dressage lessons and just moved to hunter jumper barn. My stuff is in a tall Ikea cabinet. Their stuff is in tack trunks.

How do you do it? What is in there? My tall cabinet has stuff I don't use often, but I can't skinny down the essentials to fit in a trunk. Where do you keep blanket, cooler, extra saddle pad, extra halters, bareback pad, grooming, tack cleaning, horse-washing gear? Where do you keep boots, helmet, medicines, wound care? Where do you keep bell boots, woof boots? fly spray, coat sheen, hoof goop?

I checked out the saddle room and there are no girths -- where do h/j keep their girth?

I'm totally amazed. I'm not a DQ -- my gosh they have tons more than I have -- but moving into this barn will require I tighten up. What goes where?

jan

I have a cabinet in my tack room... I keep bute, my helmet, flyspray, hoof treatment, saddle soap, bathing soap, liniment, rubber bands, , small clippers, my grooming bin, gloves, an extra girth, an extra set of bell boots, and my brushing boots and saddle pads in there. If needed I could fit this stuff in a trunk as the "cabinet" that I have is basically a slightly tall skinnier trunk.

This Is the best plastic trunk you can get IMO. I have one of these for all of my "non daily" horsey products- Medical stuff, pads, a few blankets etc. But I know many COTHers have made these into VERY effective trunks. I will search up the thread.

EDITED TO ADD LINK:
    Stanley Trunk Thread If you look through here you will see a discussion on trunks- how people organize theirs- and some pictures!

I guess I am very lucky as I have a saddle and bridle rack and I can put as much as I want on my saddle rack but no wet girths. I also hang blankets on my horses stall in the winter.

As for boots... I just bring mine or wear them to the barn. My trunk has doubled as a "tack" trunk of sorts.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by hequestrian; Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added link
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

All of that fits in my tack trunk. My blankets are at home when its warm and on my horse's stalls in the winter. My girth goes in the tack room with my saddle, but could fit in my trunk if needed. I have a brush box with brushes, a little box with meds in it, a bucket with bath stuff, a bag with bottles of stuff, horse boots, and my helmet. Extra saddle pads go on top. My boots are on my feet, coming from home, but could probably fit if I needed them to. And why do you need extra halters? A show halter stays in the trailer, my horse's daily halter hangs on his stall.

I have this trunk - http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ho...-wheels/BRW43/

I have an upright trunk that my dad made me. The top hinges up and has a compartment where all my saddle pads go. In the main part of the trunk, there are two bridle hooks on the inside of the door. In the main part, there's a saddle rack, so I put my saddle, Mattes pad and dry girths over that. The rack is on top of a shelf with another space below it--I could put grooming stuff there, but I keep that in a hanging rack on my horse's stall, so instead I keep first aid stuff, polos, an extra pair of Muck boots, tack cleaning stuff, treats, hairnets, fly bonnets, cell phone case, etc. The outside of the trunk has hooks on either side, so I hang his leather halter on one side and a collapsible saddle rack on the other, which is where I hang wet pads and girths.

Coolers I keep in a hanging thing on his stall, blankets in the trunk of my car until winter. Because I always keep telling myself that I'm going to wash them that weekend. Until it's winter. (:

Quote Originally Posted by 3Spots View Post
    Where do you keep blanket, cooler, extra saddle pad, extra halters, bareback pad, grooming, tack cleaning, horse-washing gear? Where do you keep boots, helmet, medicines, wound care? Where do you keep bell boots, woof boots? fly spray, coat sheen, hoof goop?

I checked out the saddle room and there are no girths -- where do h/j keep their girth?
    I only keep stuff in my trunk/at the barn that I use on a daily basis. Everything else stays at home or in my trailer. With three horses and one trunk, you learn how to whittle it down.

Blankets are at home in the summer, on blanket bars outside the stalls in the winter. Cooler & quarter sheet live in my trunk in the winter only.

I get a saddle rack (X2 since I have 3 horses, 2 saddles) and 2 hooks above it, so my bridles, spare halter, lead ropes, and longe lines live on the hooks above my saddle. Girths hook into the saddle rack and hang. Saddle pads live flipped upside down on top of saddles.

I only keep the essential meds in my trunk (banamine, a couple doses of bute, a couple doses of sulfa, and some small tubes/tubs of wound care). Everything else lives at home for climate control. If I need it, I have enough to tide me over until I can get home to get the rest. Or I can borrow from someone until I can get home to get my own.

Grooming buckets for each horse live on the floor underneath the saddle racks (on top of old Platinum Performance buckets that now house special grain my boys get).

Things like bareback pads, surcingles, boots I don't use on a daily basis, etc, live at home or in my trailer until I need them.

ETA: the only things that I keep in my trunk are (and it's one of the black Stanley roller tool trunks): a tray for meds/gauze/thermometers, etc; a set of polos, a set of open front boots, clippers, my fleece half pad, a gym bag for my boots/spurs/half chaps, my helmet, 3 pairs of no-bow wraps, and a couple whips.

I have three full tack trunks, two at home and one at the barn. One at home is full of clean saddle pads, halters, extra lead lines, and basically everything I don't use on a daily basis, save for medical supplies. And the other at home is filled with blankets during the warm seasons. My tack trunk at the barn has EVERYTHING else, and I mean everything. Boots, helmet, grooming supplies, tack cleaning stuff, clippers, a few extra lead lines, just in case, and extra girth, my collection of bits, horse boots, wraps, and more. It gets complicated sometimes when I need something that has fallen to the bottom. I once went to a friends fancy shmancy barn, where in addition to tack trunks, everyone also had lockers. Man were those handy. Someday, when I have my own facilities, those will be at the top of the list. Hey, a girl can dream right?
    Btw I have one horsemans pride trunk, as an above poster posted, a large tubberware trunk, and a large wooden trunk.
    Last edited by Libby416; Oct. 24, 2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: my trunks

Yup -- just the essentials in my trunk. Just my every day stuff. Where do I keep "extra" stuff? In my basement stash, in my garage stash, or in the trunk of my car. Absolutely no blankets in there -- dirty ones would be disgusting, and there isn't really a reason for clean ones to just be stored in there...

This is (approximately) what I have in my trunk: Half back pad, baby pad (may be draped over my saddle if it gets too wet), girth. Small grooming bag with a curry mitt, rubber curry, hard brush, soft brush, hoof pick, spray bottle of alcohol. Spray bottle of liquid glycerine soap and a sponge and a rag. One pair of open front boots and a pair of polo wraps. Helmet with hairnet and gloves inside it. Small stackable box with extra hairnets, gloves, and a spare pair of boot socks. Small stackable box with an assortment of spurs. Small stackable box with peppermints. Medium sized stackable box with linament, powdered bute, first aid cream, and a tube of UlgcerGard for emergencies. (I effing love these stackable boxes -- I can get 4 or five of them stacked up in one tiny little corner of my trunk.) Paddock boots and half chaps. Crop. In the winter I keep a fitted cooler in there, although it gets hung up overnight when it's wet.

Saddle on a saddle rack and bridle and martingale are on a hook.

Basically I only need to make sure that my horse can be managed until I can get out to see him next.

I think a lot of people treat their barn as storage and you can't assume that every place is going to let you do that. There simply isn't space. I have a medium sized trunk, but if I needed to I could have a lot less. We all expand our stuff to fill the space we have, I think, so you just need to shift your perspective and start fresh with your smaller space.

So I think the answer to your question of "How do you get everything in a tack trunk" is, you can't get everything in there. But it's pretty easy to get what you need in there!!

The simple answer is that we don't! We rotate stuff out based on the season. Off season, it is in the garage or basement. In the summer, the trunk is full of saddle pads and fleecy girths so we always have a clean one. In the winter extra coolers fill in the extra spaces. We have nice large blanket bars outside our stalls that store winter blankets, but they live in those Stanley trunks at home during the summer. We are fortunate to have hooks for saddles, bridles, hat/chaps, show halters, etc. as well as shelves for storage of brushes, boots, and bath stuff. If I didn't have all this space, I would figure out how to keep the essentials in my trunk and would probably use the car trunk for things, as well.

Some H/J barns have community saddle pads, girth, brushes, bath supplies, fly spray, etc. which does cut down on the amount of space you need in your trunk.

I'm a trail rider who takes dressage lessons and just moved to hunter jumper barn. My stuff is in a tall Ikea cabinet. Their stuff is in tack trunks.

How do you do it? What is in there? My tall cabinet has stuff I don't use often, but I can't skinny down the essentials to fit in a trunk. Where do you keep blanket, cooler, extra saddle pad, extra halters, bareback pad, grooming, tack cleaning, horse-washing gear? Where do you keep boots, helmet, medicines, wound care? Where do you keep bell boots, woof boots? fly spray, coat sheen, hoof goop?

I'm totally amazed. I'm not a DQ -- my gosh they have tons more than I have -- but moving into this barn will require I tighten up. What goes where?

jan
    I usually fold blankets in 4 different creases, but when i put them in my tack box i only fold it once and lay both the cooler and blanket flat on the bottom. The saddle pad I lay down flat in the shelf on top of box (that square thing with handles). I have a slot in the cover of my tack box that I could put extra halters in. Same thing you could do with the bare back pad, lay it flat where the saddle pad is. I put my boots ontop of the blanket and cooler, same with my helmet. I put the fly spray, show sheen, washing supplies in one bucket and in the bottom of the trunk next to my boots. Tack cleaning stuff is usually out for everyone at my barn. Wound care would be kept in a little bag that I would store at the bottom of the trunk next to the cleaning supplies. Put the bell boots and woof boots ontop of the saddle and bareback pad on that tray. Grooming supplies go next to the wound kit. Put your girth right next to your woof boots and bell boots in that little tray. You should have quite a bit more room in there too to put stuff but that's just the basics. Just make sure you keep everything organized and in the same place and you won't really have any issues with not being able to fit stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

Thanks, everyone! Hequestrian,the link was priceless and when I searched on Stanley trunks I found a lot more. Container store looks like an essential part of the strategy.

My Ikea cabinet is my "locker," I guess. I have a big tub for boots, helmet, chaps and bareback pad. On top of that is grooming bucket with brushes, fly spray, hoof pick, etc. Then I have small lidded totes for clipping, medical, and tools. Another big tub for extra pads, cooler, lunge line, cavesson, halters. A bucket for bathing supplies and a bucket for tack cleaning supplies. Blankets on top. It looks pretty organized and easily accessible.

They were nice enough to let me move it in and it's "footprint" is actually smaller than a tack truck because it is vertical (36"x20"x60"tall). But, I think I should make a go of trying to do more on less.

It seems like the major change is blankets/coolers/saddle pads, and before my trailer was on a different lot, so they can go in the trailer at the new place. I need to keep three saddle pads at the barn for use during the week -- do you guys use a fresh pad each time you ride?

I need to keep three saddle pads at the barn for use during the week -- do you guys use a fresh pad each time you ride?
    Not every time. Plus, I use baby pads, so I can fold up a half a dozen in the space of a few hardcover books if I really wanted to.

Why can't you keep them in a tupperware in the trunk of your car or something?

Quote Originally Posted by salymandar View Post
    The simple answer is that we don't!
    This. Only stuff that gets used on a daily basis lives in the trunk. I have horse boots, halters, leads, grooming supplies, saddle pads, crops, spurs, bits, half chaps, helmet, and gloves in my trunk. I use thin saddle pads, so they take up relatively little space, and they only get used once (maybe twice) before they get washed.

The exception to the "daily use" thing is that my longeing/long lining stuff, my clippers, and all my bits (those not in current use, obviously) are also in my trunk.

My saddle is on a rack, my bridles are hanging up in a bridle bag. My girths usually get tossed over my saddle, but I sometimes hang them up. They could also fit in my trunk if I wanted to put them there.

I have lots more stuff at home - in my bedroom, in my bathroom (which is where I usually do my tack cleaning), in the garage, and in my car.

PS - I have a different trunk now than I did in the Stanley thread, but the organization I mention there is similar. I'll get some pics for you.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I have decided that I just don't like trunks because something always has to be removed to get to something else and if you need to store a saddle in there, then you have no room to store anything else. If using a trunk in a tack room, you also waste all the space above the trunk... good usable space! So I measure my friend's show trunk and built myself a cabinet to be the same size as her truck so it didn't take up anymore floor space, but it's 6 feet tall and perfect for all my gear. My goal is to keep it all at the farm or in my trailer and out of our garage.

This is the cabinet before doors.

After doors, but before door pulls and locks. Bridle racks are on the inside of the doors.

I've had this now for about 3 years and still have not taken a total finished product picture completely stocked with gear.

The only thing is that it definitely takes my DH to help move, even though it's on wheels. Luckily, I don't have to move it often.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

I don't. But when I horse show people always joke that I bring two horses and five horses worth of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I would be kicked out of my barn for sure if I showed up with something like that.
    Space is premium, and that is HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    If using a trunk in a tack room, you also waste all the space above the trunk... good usable space! So I measure my friend's show trunk and built myself a cabinet to be the same size as her truck so it didn't take up anymore floor space, but it's 6 feet tall and perfect for all my gear.
    Well, the space above trunks isn't usually wasted. At my barn it's filled with bridle hooks, saddle racks, and various other shelves and hanging things.

Also, part of the benefit of a trunk is that you can move it. I'd love an upright coffin like that in my garage for all my extra stuff, but there's no way I'd expect to be allowed to put something like that at a barn I didn't own...

You made that?? It's awesome!!!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

My tack trunk consists of everything I use on a daily basis, and that is necessary for horseshows. Random things like "I have this if my horse is hurt" live at home. I can always borrow from someone in an emergency and do not need unnecessary things to waste space. Extra halters and saddle pads? Those are unneccesary. I can hang a saddle pad on the blanket rack on the door, but it is easy to carry one with me daily if I need to. Besides I wash those at home anyways. Why do you need an extra halter??? Is there not an extra at the barn you could borrow in case of an emergency? I'm sure there is!
    This is how my trunk is set up:
    (I ride at several different farms so my helmet gloves spurs stay with me)
    Top tray: Rags for rubbing my horse, a zippered pouch/bag/thing holds ear plugs, seam rippers, money, etc. Oh, and whatever trash I leave in my trunk...
    Grooming box: Brushes, tack cleaner and conditioner, spray for horses legs @ shows, grooming chalk, and corona/furazone, some rubber gloves and probably some random stuff I need to take home.
    Bottom: I have a rubber flexible bucket I use to store liquids in case they fall over in traveling, and I don't want them to ruin my trunk. It holds shampoo, fly spray, conditioner, tack oil, sponges, show sheen. Then I have a quarter sheet, Cooler, and a rain sheet folded underneath. I keep one stick in my trunk, and one jar of treats, and maybe one extra bit. Things like wraps stay in a container at home because I only use them for trailering and at shows.

I am so far from mastering getting everything in one trunk, it is not even funny! Thank God my barn owner humors me and lets me take up more than my share of space.

ETA: I ordered my wooden trunk when I bought my horse, and when it arrived, I remember thinking it was huge, and I should have ordered a smaller one because I'd never need that much space. HA! It's now full, as is the smaller "annex" trunk I ended up buying!
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Oct. 24, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I keep several large plastic bins in my garage with my off-season equipment and only keep essentials at the barn in my trunk. I'm a neat freak (when it comes to the barn anyway), so I actually prefer to have a pared down trunk. I also have lots of spares, but that doesn't mean they're always at the barn.
    I won't bore anyone with the contents of my trunk, but the key for me is to have grab-and-go things so I'm not constantly digging around for items I need. For instance:
    First aid kit contained in a narrow plastic bin (this way I can just grab it and throw it in the truck when I'm trailering somewhere)
    Small bucket with everyday brushes, hoof oil, etc. (I just grab the little bucket and carry it to the cross ties, trailer, etc.) It sits right on top of the first aid kit.
    Then the large brush box that came with my trunk is actually just filled with vetrolin, extra hoof oil, Corona, coat conditioner, and bunch of other grooming/care necessities. The way it was built-in leaves a little spare room underneath it for things I don't use that often, but like to have handy.
    I also keep bandages contained in the lid of my trunk with several springs I attached with mini screw eyes.
    It's getting cooler now, so I am currently swapping out some of the summer/show items (rain sheet, bright white fleecey pads, fly mask etc.) for winter basics: quarter sheet, baker blanket, spare stable sheet.
    And I have a couple blanket bars available that I will hang 2 turnout sheets (spare in case one gets wet) and a mid-weight turnout blanket on.
    My saddle (with girth), 2 bridles, and everyday pads live in the tackroom.
    Using these extra storage areas provided by the barn definitely helps me, but I still try to keep it neat and only put out items I will regularly use.