The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nearly hit a horse & rider last night

I'm still shaking. Driving home from work at about 8pm. It was dark. Saw a flicker of movement on the road in front of me and realised that there was a rider up ahead.

I never saw them until it was almost too late. Dark night, black horse and rider in dark clothing. Horse scrambled on to the verge as I swerved into the other lane.

Please, please wear a light or reflective clothing if you're riding out at night. Give drivers a chance to know you're there. I have no doubt that one of us would have been killed had I hit them. As it is, we all got lucky.

Reflective/high viz clothing/lights are cheap and may just save your life.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have to echo that sentiment.

it's been a while back when i encountered a small group of riders on the shoulder of a road where I have driven countless times, it's suburban, a horse on the road is unexpected. I swerved to avoid the lead to almost hit the followers.

It was dark and the riders did not wear anything reflective.

It is tragic to hear of riders being hit, but another thing to see the foolish things they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I hear you Kookicat. A few years ago, coming back from Port au Prince after dark, I had the same experience with a black cow in the road. The ONLY reason the driver swerved at the last moment was because the cow had one single white anklet which reflected the headlights when we got within 40 feet.

Reflectors and reflective wraps/boots really do help the drivers who are paying attention to respect the safety of riders/bikers/joggers.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

The only reason I saw a horse and rider the other night was because she was wearing a yellow vest with reflective tape. It wasn't completely dark out but the horse was dark and I absolutely did not see him. When I saw the reflectors hovering in the air it took my brain a while to figure out what I was seeing and slow down/swerve to the other lane. This was on a fairly busy rural road with a 50 mph speed limit.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
    Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    I hear you Kookicat. A few years ago, coming back from Port au Prince after dark, I had the same experience with a black cow in the road. The ONLY reason the driver swerved at the last moment was because the cow had one single white anklet which reflected the headlights when we got within 40 feet.

Reflectors and reflective wraps/boots really do help the drivers who are paying attention to respect the safety of riders/bikers/joggers.
    This. Scary. In Wyoming, I almost hit a buffalo broadside going 55mph at 1am in the morning. I caught the glow of it's eye and managed to slam on my brakes, maintain control of the truck. Very, very scary. Open range can be dangerous-and that is when you are keeping an eye out for stock! In areas where you are not prepared to see a horse/rider...so dangerous.

10 miles of my drive to the barn (and back) is on a narrow windy twisty country road with much wildlife. As long as there is no one in front of me, I drive slowly (drives people behind me nuts, I'm sure, but then, I haven't yet ended up in the ditch) with my brights on - it reflects the deers' eyes in enough time. And am I ever vigilant on those roads.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

WHY are people riding at night!?!?!

If I got caught up somewhere, and had to go home in the dark, I would dismount and walk, so I could have better control over where I was walking.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    WHY are people riding at night!?!?!

If I got caught up somewhere, and had to go home in the dark, I would dismount and walk, so I could have better control over where I was walking.

All things considered, you are better off mounted at night (trust me, I rode in pitch black night through a forest, no less)

However, the trail you are on should be free f fast moving motorists. You meet up with one of them you are usually the weaker party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I had a very close call once, but not at night.

I was driving on a back road that is very hilly. The speed limit is only 30, and that's what I was driving. I don't speed on that road since it's narrow and hilly. I drove up and over one of the hills to find a group of riders IN my lane, walking three across. Thank God no one was behind me since I had to slam on my brakes. They were all in shorts and flip flops, helmetless, and the one furthest in the middle of the road was talking on her cell phone. And the road is paved, not gravel or dirt. It scared the crap out of me.

People can be very very stupid.

I had a close call once too. It was last winter, roads pretty sloppy. I was driving down a local backroad that had a deep curve, so you couldn't really see very far ahead. I was driving slowly due to conditions, and as I come around part of the curve, 4 girls are riding side-by-side in the road completely in my lane & spilling into the oncoming lane.

Where's the fruitbat??? Everytime I've ridden on the roads with friends, we ride single-file on the shoulder. And they were riding on a deep curve, in crappy weather no less! They were lucky I was driving responsibly, and was able to slow down for them to look back and realize "oh hey, maybe we should all move".

People are stupid.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred