The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Steel Bucket Holder, anyone here use them? - pics of my engineering attempt added.

Looking for opinions/experiences with the Steel Bucket Holders, I found them in the Jeffers catalog:

http://www.jefferspet.com/jeffers-st...older/p/IA-S5/

The reason I ask is that I am really getting tired of my gelding using the water buckets as butt-scratchers, and he bends them all to heck, rendering them unusable, and I have to replace them way too often.

I was thinking of using them in conjunction with the hooks that I hang them with, hoping that having them in the holder will keep him from bending them when he "sits" on them to rub his backside.

These are the hooks that I use:

http://www.horse.com/item/portable-b...ook/SLT312013/
    Last edited by MunchkinsMom; Oct. 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I had somethng simlar that hung over the door for one mare.

She bent it.

I am seriously considering putting a stall chain across the corner so one of my other mares can't poop in her bucket
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have that bucket holder, but it's for a bucket dumper. His bucket handle is also chained on two side with eyebolts and snaps. It's held up for 4 years now....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Munchkins Mom - Those bucket holders are accidents waiting to happen. We put up some very similar ones in our barn years ago when we first moved in. 12 of them in all. We took all of them down within a year. The least of the problems was that they did bend all too easily. We had horses knock buckets out of them and one young horse somehow cut the heck out of his upper eye lid and the bucket holder was the only thing in his stall so unless he did it on smooth walls, it had to be that. I do have a recommendation for you to stop the butt scratching, however. Get someone handy with saws and cutting wood to cut a 2 X 4 piece of lumber with angled ends to fit into the corner of your stall. Then hang your bucket behind this "brace" with the top of the bucket level with the brace. He may hit the 2 X 4 with his butt but he can't touch the bucket itself. We have done this for 2 of our horses in the past and they have worked perfectly.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Thanks everyone. I was afraid that they might be too flimsy and an accident waiting to happen.

I can't put the water buckets in the corner, that is where their corner feeders go.

But I might be able to fashion something out of wood to put around the buckets as bludejavu was talking about, but on the straight wall that they hang on now.

The chain and snap idea might also work, thanks LauraKY!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

My engineering attempt to prevent more broken water buckets. I had to replace 12 buckets in the past month. The hardware probably cost as much as the buckets, but if this works I can stop filling up the landfill with the broken ones.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL214.../399207146.jpg

I sure hope this works.

I hope it works for you too - 12 buckets in a month is waaaaay too many buckets - WOW! I remembered something else a few days or so after I posted my response on this topic. I don't remember where I saw this and it was a long time ago but someone else with the same problem ended up purchasing a small barrel and rolling it up under the bucket. The horse could drink just fine, but couldn't back up enough to get their butt on the bucket because of the barrel jutting out too far. Apparently their back feet would hit the barrel before their butt hit the bucket.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Thanks, my theory is that the side attachments will prevent the ability for the handle to bend, which causes the buckets to be bent all to heck. Hopefully even if he rubs his butt on them now, they won't move (or move very little).

Have you thought about putting a tub like this on the floor? I found a slightly smaller version of something like this for my one horse who fouls his water by dropping pellets into it. He has two buckets and a tub which get changed twice a day. I only fill the tub part way. That way there is a chance he will have fresh water.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will pass on that one. It's not a lack of water that I am concerned about, my horses are out 24x7, with free access to the barn and stalls, and they have an automatic waterer out in the pasture, as well as the two buckets in each of the 3 stalls.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my horses would manage to dump that or step in it or something equally entertaining.

So far so good, buckets are all intact after 9 hours. Time will tell.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Save yourself the trouble of having to unhook all those double end snaps, and get the Jeffers bucket holder that you pictured in your OP. Works wonders for a confirmed bucket-dumper. In fact, it's the only one that did, for our late 18h Dutch gelding who seemed to perpetually be acting out "race memory" by putting a hoof into, or dumping every bucket in sight.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Huge difference between a bucket "dumper" and a bucket "rubber".

If he's bent up 12 buckets in a month you either need to give up and use them bent, unless he's actually splitting the plastic in which case supposedly you can get your money back from the manufacturer, or put the bucket in another corner with the tail board in the way, or put in tail boards, which are like a shelf to keep ASB's from rubbing their tail heads on the wall - they can still rub their butts on the shelf, the bucket would hang under it and not be the target anymore. Or maybe put in a 2x4 rick/structure/box that the bucket can snuggle into, which you'd have to through bolt the heck out of.

The pony's bucket hangs on a snap at about 2 foot off the ground, just but barely too high for him to stick his foot in it and too low to be a target for rubbing. He has managed to completely bend up the bail, even though it is a good heavy duty well made bucket the bail now has three bumps in it and won't go down at all, the bucket is pretty much oblong but hasn't cracked. We use the heated muck bucket style waterer and in a year he hasn't damaged it beyond normal wear and tear. Probably because he hasn't thought of it yet and I've just jinxed myself .

I'd give your engineering project about three days before your guy gets a good itch and winds up tearing the screw eyes right out of the wall - unless did you use lags or through bolts? Through bolts might hold up longer. But then he could really lean into the buckets and flatten them.

Everything we use for the pigs looks like twice as much as you'd need, but they are easily capable of tearing their way through the side of a metal building if there is any weakness (hole, seam or edge) to exploit. Buckets and muck type buckets don't last a minute. The hard plastic, similar to a standard five gallon bucket but in a 20 gallon size, has held up the best, and metal automatic waterers hold up OK.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

OP, that's similar to mine, but I use the bucket holder too. Mine's a dumper, not a rubber, though.

FYI - It works! I have solid evidence that he rubbed his big old QH butt on one bucket, hair on the outside of the bucket, wet marks and rub marks on his behind, and the bucket is still perfectly shaped!

It would really be nicer if he would go rub on the trees like the mares do, I think he is too lazy to walk that far, or maybe he doesn't like trees.

Of course the ultimate fix would be to find out why he feels the need to scratch his behind so often, I did notice a few bumps on his backside, probably bug bites, which I sprayed with Benedryl spray.

I've found, when they're itching, if I scrub the tail head with dandruff shampoo and rinse well, it usually stops the rubbing. Just a thought. The Selsun Blue shampoo or generic knock-off.

FYI - here is a photo of the mangled water buckets using just the hook to hang them - these buckets were two weeks old:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL214.../399218124.jpg

The pony's bucket is slightly less smashed, but the bail on his is lots more deformed and you still have two days to go in my book to declare this a success.
    So you never tried to stretch the bails back out? A come along might have worked on that damage. I hate using damaged items too but my budget is waaay tight right now, which is why pony's bucket is so beat up and we are still using it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Have you thought about giving him an alternate scratching surface?

We have bucket holders from Woodstar Products. I love them, the buckets sit inside the holders. We have rubbers, buckets sitters, etc and have yet to loose one. They are not cheap, but really last. This is the second barn we have put them in. Any five gallon bucket fits inside.

www.Woodstarproducts.com
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

My trainer mounts a sturdy milk crate to the wall and puts the bucket into the crate. Works like a charm!!