The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

http://www.stampedeauction.com/item.php?id=4476#image

Cute photos but my first reaction is that looks very dangerous.
    Success is a journey not a destination.

http://www.stampedeauction.com/item.php?id=4476#image

Cute photos but my first reaction is that looks very dangerous.

I'm pretty astounded that that is allowed to happen, espically when I think about how much my own mother worries for my safety just while riding in the proper equipment.
    <><

Am I looking at it wrong or does she have very odd "private parts"???
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Which picture are you looking at, JoZ?

Sure I would put my child underneath a horse like that!! While I'm at it, maybe Is should try letting him jump off the brooklyn bridge, and then let him ride a bull!

Seriously, what idiots

No, I wouldn't. But I have caught myself in some very odd and precarious positions lately trying to clean my horse's feet while coping with my pretty serious back pain. I am hoping that he knows I am where I am.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelladonnaLily:
    Which picture are you looking at, JoZ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one that is large when you first click. What am I seeing between her hind legs?

I hope I'm not embarrassing myself. It IS very early in the a.m. where I am... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ies/sleepy.gif

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I would not encourage my children (don't have any) to do that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't.

They're kids for God's sake! It can't be any worse then riding backwards, jumping bareback with a halter over a picnic table, or swimming in a lake with the horse.

I gave a riding lesson to a 10 yo relative who's new to horses on my giant gelding. When she got done brushing one side of him I reminded her to get the other side, so she just walked under his stomach (brushed that while she was there) and started on the other side!

I about died, and I did correct her, but I made sure to give my horse lots of praise for being a good boy.

My point is, it's not the correct or exactly safe thing to do but I'd rather know that my kid's pony is completely and utterley bombproof and wont hurt my child no matter what stupid kid things they do.

Although I do think giving a kid a snowwhite pony is a cruel joke!

It looks like the mare is possibly pregnant or recently foaled and has a full udder. Just my guess.

The text of the ad says she accidentally 'got in with a QH stallion, so she might be bred but is being sold as open' http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

mrd is probably right...its a 2fer deal!

She got in with the stallion last month! Either she also/already had an '05 baby in the oven, or...

Anyway, a kid not under constant supervision is going to do this kind of stuff. I'd want to buy a pony who could take it in stride, as it were.

Well, I know first hand what kids are capable of doing when moms not looking with their ponies. I had told my 5 yr old daughter to hand graze her small pony while I cleaned the stall. Next thing I hear her calling "Hey mom, look". I turned to see her sitting on the pony backwards, just a halter and lead. Well, she got agood explanation about how dangerous that was. Another occasion, I told her once again to
    hand graze pony while I cleaned the stall, I hear "Hey mom, look." As I turned around to look, she had gotten on the pony with just halter and lead rope and started trotting to the hay room which had a 2 ft step into it. As I take off after her yelling at her to stop, they jump into the hay room and out of sight. When I arrive at the hay room, pony is standing there eatiing hay of course and my daughter is laughing and smiling at the near stroke she just gave me.
    But I would never tell my child to get under her pony or in any other dangerous postiion just for a Kodak moment.

Too bad no one took a picture of your daughter doing those things tirnanog; if they had, we could have talked about you, instead of the unnamed seller of the white pony, by name.

I am, on the other hand, horrified by pictures of starved horses, abused horses, starved children, abused children, and sometimes even by a very scary jumping picture.

Oh sweet bejayzus, who died and made people the Sale Ad Photo Police? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I know that in this day and age, it is considered PC to wrap our kids in bubblewrap whenever possible... they can't ride bikes, skateboard or, God Forbid, be around our horses without a boatload of protective equipment.

Having come from a different era, when we rode our ponies pell mell through the woods, jumping whatever we could find, swimming them in the lake and so forth... I don't mind these photos and would LOVE to have a pony quiet enough for the kids to crawl all over (or under) without incident.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

"Country: Montana"

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

And I'm with Coreene on this one. Do people have nothing better to do than surf the net for sales ads to mock?

She's a pretty little mare, they bought her out of a meat auction, have given her what sounds like three really good years. So what if the mare is so quiet that a child can safely get under her? I wouldn't dare do this with a strange horse but I *might* try it with my own.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

You mean, there are people out there who HAVEN'T tried this with their own horses?? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

OK, I can't say as I have ever tried putting my head between the horse's knees from under his belly. I don't fit down there that well anymore anyway. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif But go under the belly? Sure! Put my head down on the ground an inch away from his hoof to get a darn good look at that cut on his heel... absolutely! I'm not saying it's always necessarily a GOOD idea, but I do a lot of things that aren't good ideas. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

I mean, come on. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif It's a pony. It's so busy eating grass you could probably set off firecrackers under its butt and it wouldn't move.

True story. I grew up in a very suburban neighborhood and kept horses at home. I used to "trail ride" my TB/App eventer around the neighborhood, and would often go over to my old elementary school and walk around the perimeter of the soccer fields while we cooled out in the summer. Very unobtrusively... half the time people didn't even notice us.

One night, we were walking along and there was a pee wee soccer practice going on -- so there's about a dozen or so 6-7-year-olds whacking balls around. A full soccer field away. One of them looks up, points, hollers "IT'S A HORSE!!!!" and the ENTIRE TEAM comes RUNNING across the field toward us. Rocky freezes and his eyes start to get REAL big, but he stays put. The little kids swarm all around him and are jabbering away and petting him, and he is being a VERY good sport. I am trying to watch what 12 kids are doing and politely saying "Watch out for your toes! Be careful with your fingers near his mouth!" I turn around, and realize that one kid is HANGING off his tail. Full on leaning back with all of his weight (all 40 pounds of it or whatever) on the poor horse's tail. Another kid climbed between his legs to see if he was ticklish by petting his belly. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

He never moved. And this was a 16-hand tank of a horse that was fit enough for preliminary horse trials.

Made me damn glad that I did stupid stuff like that to that horse on a regular basis. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

I'm with Coreene as well. I wouldn't let my daughter but she has! A couple of weeks ago my daughter had Star in the cross ties. I went in the feed room for all of 5 seconds and came back to find Jordan sitting on the floor under Star picking out her udder. Star didn't bat an eye. I reprimanded Jordan but secretly was very pleased with Star. She has yet to give me reason to doubt her. I was wondering about her teats as well. But Stars are fairly large and she is most definitely not pregnant. She may have had alot of babies in her past??