The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best supplement for arthritic dog?

I have been giving my old Malinois Platinum CJ for dogs and its not making much difference. The only thing that works is Metacam and that is tough of their kidneys...

Any thoughts?

Sorry your old friend is hurting...
    Personally, I LOVE METACAM!! I have been giving Metacam to 2 different old dogs--one was on it and did well for 2+yrs., and one is currently on it for 1 1/2 yrs.-liver values fine. My feelings-- if it helps your old friend, do it. Better to give them their golden time pain-free than to worry about possibilities...JMHO.

I've had my 10-year-old dachshund on Wholistic Pet complete joint since we got her at around age 6... she was in constant pain at the time, and between weight loss (we got 7 pounds off of her...) and the joint supplement, she was a whole different dog. We even did very easy agility classes up until a few months ago, when she seems to start getting a little slower. I supplement occasionally with Metacam, but she still gets around pretty well on the Wholistic Pet alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I've had my 10-year-old dachshund on Wholistic Pet complete joint since we got her at around age 6... she was in constant pain at the time, and between weight loss (we got 7 pounds off of her...) and the joint supplement, she was a whole different dog. We even did very easy agility classes up until a few months ago, when she seems to start getting a little slower. I supplement occasionally with Metacam, but she still gets around pretty well on the Wholistic Pet alone.
    I use this, too--

Do a month long loading dose of Adequan. Your vet can give the first shot and show you how to do it.

Make sure you are giving a fish oil supplement as well. It has anti imflamatory properties.

Jetsmom, you beat me to it. Fish oil and Adequan.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have had unbelievably fabulous results with both a dog & a severely arthritic cat using "Syn-flex" (with my vet's blessing). For pets it comes in a beef-flavored version that even the cat wolfs down with a little canned food. Here's a link to the company's page, but I usually buy it online from a company called "Positive-Works", as it's $4 cheaper & shipping is free.

http://www.synflexforpets.com/