The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird Spanish walk-trot... huh?

My 8yo OTTB has been doing this lately and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences...

Occasionally at the trot (usually once a week, sometimes more), Horse will drop his head and break out into this weird front-leg-lifting Totilas-like "spanish trot" (for lack of a better description). He only ever does this after he's well-warmed up and usually "up" after a good canter and/or some jumping. I rarely ride on much contact, so it's not like I'm pulling him into a frame; if I give him leg and drive him forward, he usually knocks it off and returns to a normal nice forward trot.

To the untrained eye, it apparently looks "really cool!" and "wow, how did you train him to do that??" and "is he a dressage horse??" but it's definitely nothing I've trained for or am asking for... in reality, it feels like an evasive/disobedient thing-- poll way lower than his withers, not exactly working through/over his back, hindquarters aren't underneath him (I wish!). He's never tried to buck during this maneuver, and he's otherwise sound, but it's baffling to me as to why he's doing it, especially since it seems to require a lot more effort than just trotting around like a normal horse.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't have video of it.

Ideas?

(ETA-- just noticed, it's my 1000th post! Cool!)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

The pony does something similar but never under saddle, and my belief is he does it to show off. Under saddle it probably is a disobedience, or horsie daydreaming.
    Take a look at the Spanish Walk post by Watermark Farm for other experiences.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

He probably just feels good and is playing. They will often "get on the muscle" or do other moves out of exuberance. I had a gelding that did that as well. Bow his neck, and do Zenyetta type moves with his forelegs. All out of play.

The metal of his bit could make his face itch once he's warmed up and salivating.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My mare does this when she gets slobber on her legs. She tries to rub it of by bringing her knees really close to her muzzle. Its kinda fun, but def not allowed. She has finally outgrown it, but I used to have to have someone wipe off her legs all the time.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!