The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ticks...still?!

The days here are about 60, nights in the low 40's and im STILL finding ticks on my horses.

Granted, ive only found 2 in the past few days, but isnt it too cold for them? They look different than the ones I found all summer. These are much lighter in color and have a longer body, instead of round.

Either way...ugh!

Anyone else still finding ticks?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Yup - here in Tick Central I'll be finding them right through the winter. Even below freezing they still show up in the hay. Ticks seem to have their own brand of antifreeze.

Just this past week I found two on one of my dogs, & three on myself. All Dog Tick "nymphs". The babies are apparently hatching out now.

Oh lord!! Where are you located Bacardi?! I hope its no where near me!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

You have to have a HARD freeze and some snow to knock down the tick population. I have pulled ticks in December here because our winters start off pretty mild in Tennessee. They aren't like flies where when the weather cools you don't see them

Tick live thru winter. you can even see them in the snow sometimes. I use Ultrashield and they don't bother my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Tick live thru winter. you can even see them in the snow sometimes. I use Ultrashield and they don't bother my horse.
    Yep. TN winters don't kill them. I think you gotta go way north and be in a deep freeze for a while to put a good dent in the population (still won't kill all of them though).

Default they come back this time of year.

at least around here. october is the prime season for the little bastards. i think the nymphs.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I don't think any winters *kill* them, they just go dormant if it is cold enough. And yes, you do have to have a hard freeze for a few days; if it warms up they come out of dormancy.

If the weather is warm enough we can find them in January. But if it is a more normal winter, they go away in December or so.

Yup, until that first hard freeze. I just pulled one off my dog. I've been lax because we have penny royal growing all over the place so I don't usually have enough of a problem to diligently do the Frontline. Well, we did the Frontline last night.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

They are up here as well, en force! Every walk on our property lately I've picked them up, along with my dog, who I use Frontline on. At least hers always seem to be right on her face. 10 days ago took a walk through a field full of high grass that I hadn't walked in some time to check the property line. Found one on my head that night. So I thought, OK, let's stay away from the high grass and take the trails in the woods. So that's what we did the other day - then I came right home, pulled my turtleneck over my head to hop in the shower, and had a little bugger on my throat! How the *@*%*^*#*# did he get in there!

The dog walks are now being limited to in town, or mowed areas in parks
    -although I have to go back into the woods this weekend to plant some shade perennials I bought last month along my trails. Ewwww.

We don't ever have a hard freeze in CA, but I thought the ticks were gone. We actually had good rain two weeks ago (almost unheard of here) and then have had warm weather, in the 70's and 80's, and the ticks came out and swarmed. I just had to put Spot On back on, and clipped today and was pulling out ticks. Once it settles in to "cold" here for winter, where it doesn't usually hit the 70's and it gets down into the 50's at night, I don't usually see ticks.

I pulled a few off my gelding today - it's been a while since I've found a tick on him. And one of the barn cats had several ticks, even though he's been treated with Frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I pulled a few off my gelding today - it's been a while since I've found a tick on him. And one of the barn cats had several ticks, even though he's been treated with Frontline.
    Frontline hasn't 'worked' for us in 2 years. Even the vets said 'oh it's not working real good this year'. No joke. All of my farm dogs get Frontline in the summer and every one of them remained COVERED with ticks that I had to pull off every single day. We went old school and bought an actual flee and tick collar for one of them just to see and shockingly, no ticks.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Up here in NE Wisconsin the deer ticks are active as long as there is not snow on the ground.

Default Ticks

I think I pulled 50, yes 50 ticks off my 2 dogs in the past 2 days. All little nymphs..............they must have found a good carcass to roll in or from the leaves falling IDK but they are gross.

Still in NW WI as well. Today is my gelding's last day on his antibiotic. He is pretty sensitive to tick bites and had a nasty oozing sore on his neck from one. If they get him under his front legs/chest he gets fluid-filled pockets that I refer to as his man boobs, or moobs.

I just had a high 48 hour fever battle with my guy. The vet said the ticks are absolutely rampant here (Central PA) lately. I guess she's been getting calls left and right for the same thing. I haven't found any on my dogs yet, but after paying $50 for a bottle of Doxy for Red, I'm been super vigilant about checking everyone.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I was just about to do a search on the topic and saw this thread! My horses are apparently tick magnets, because I've been finding those big gross crusty lumps under their chins, inside hind legs, and on tails for the past couple weeks. We're in southern WI and haven't had many good hard frosts yet.

What does everybody else do about the crusty gross stuff? Pick it off? soften it with warm water and get it off? triple antibiotic on the resulting open sore? ignore the whole mess until it falls off on its own? thoughts on aggressive treatment vs. benign neglect? any idea of the time lag between tick bite and erlicchia, if they're going to get it?

Took one off my gelding this morning, here in Maine. We haven't had a freeze yet, but I thought maybe they were done for the year. It was right up next to his ear in the fuzz. It looked pretty small, maybe a deer tick. I hope not. We went through Lyme disease last year, and I don't want to do that again.

You know what's very odd? That in over 30 years of owning horses, I've never EVER found a tick on a horse. And believe me, I check thoroughly - particularly at the bases of manes & tails.

I find dozens on my dogs & dozens on me, but none on the horses.